I'm upgrading--should i let RAMBUS die??

Rushkie

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2004
Currently i have an Intel DMV850 board with a 2.26 p4 and 512 megs of 533 rdram and I've got around 500-700 to spend. Is it worth getting just a new CPU for my current board or should i just get a whole new mobo/cpu/memory combo? (sigh) Thanks

pauldh

Illustrious
What do you plan on doing with the system? Gaming? Video Editing? web surf? :smile:

Anyway, have you checked into whether your current mobo can support a P4 3.06 HT (B/533 bus). If so, that is still a pretty decent chip although at $200 not cheap. But it's an easy cpu swap, meaning no reformat HDD/ Install OS again needed.

What is the rest of your system? Need a video card upgrade for gaming? $350 for a GF6800GT or X800 Pro would fit your budget.

Otherwise, if you upgrade mobo/cpu/ram to something fairly high end, you probably won't have much money left over for a Video card.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
u can send the rambus to me if you plan to upgrade and decomission that.

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/Finger.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd upgrade your CPU, and video card if needed.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>