Northwood cool running?

rhaytana

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2004
I'm leaning toward a Northwood CPU and Socket 478 for the PC I plan to build, as I want reliability and compatibility. I don't want to deal with the Prescott heat problems I've read about.

Is the Northwood free of the Prescott heat problems? Or are some users having problems with Northwood heat problems too?

I won't be overclocking. I'd like to avoid installing a water cooler. I want a CPU I can use with the fan that comes retail from the manufacturer, if possible. I compute in a room without air conditioning. It's usually pretty balmy here, but sometimes it gets a little toasty on summer days.

If some Northwoods do run hot, am I likelier to have problems with a faster chip? Is a 2.8 likelier to be cooler than a 3.4?

Thanks.

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Generally speaking, the higher the multiplier the hotter the chip. If you are not over-clocking get whatever Northwood you want. A 3.0C idles at 35C with stock cooling and is a great CPU.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Northwood runs cooler than Prescott at all available speeds. The faster ANY core runs, the more heat it produces. Any Northwood should run on the stock fan in tolerable room temperatures so long as you clean the dust out occasionally.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

rhaytana

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2004
Thanks. Sounds like Northwood, and I won't worry about heating. I've got a related question re Prescott that I'll post separately.