Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Hard Drive Bracket for second hard drive?

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 7:05:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I have a 2400 DELL DIMENSION, and I'm dying to add a second hard drive
to the puny 40G that is already there.

Does Dell discourage this? Do they have a bracket available for such
a project? Is it still out of stock after 6 months?

Help!!

Mike
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 11:38:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

They have it. It's in stock (or at least it was recently). Call them
"Michael P Gabriel" <axipolti@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:a20043.0406241405.513c2e0c@posting.google.com...
> I have a 2400 DELL DIMENSION, and I'm dying to add a second hard drive
> to the puny 40G that is already there.
>
> Does Dell discourage this? Do they have a bracket available for such
> a project? Is it still out of stock after 6 months?
>
> Help!!
>
> Mike
June 27, 2004 1:24:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Yes they do. It is identical to the one already in the PC.
To make it easier they have the part number already printed on it.

I wanted a floppy drive bracket for a dimension 4600.
I quoted the part number on the side of a friends one - price a bit high but
ordered it.
I got the bracket, drive and cable - quite cheap.

I ordered it via the web
https://support.ap.dell.com/ap/en/emaildell/feedback/sp...

"Michael P Gabriel" <axipolti@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:a20043.0406241405.513c2e0c@posting.google.com...
> I have a 2400 DELL DIMENSION, and I'm dying to add a second hard drive
> to the puny 40G that is already there.
>
> Does Dell discourage this? Do they have a bracket available for such
> a project? Is it still out of stock after 6 months?
>
> Help!!
>
> Mike
Related resources
Anonymous
June 27, 2004 1:24:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 09:24:06 +1200, "Robert" <PcTech@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

>Yes they do. It is identical to the one already in the PC.
>To make it easier they have the part number already printed on it.
>
>I wanted a floppy drive bracket for a dimension 4600.
>I quoted the part number on the side of a friends one - price a bit high but
>ordered it.
>I got the bracket, drive and cable - quite cheap.
>
>I ordered it via the web
>https://support.ap.dell.com/ap/en/emaildell/feedback/sp...
>
>"Michael P Gabriel" <axipolti@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>news:a20043.0406241405.513c2e0c@posting.google.com...
>> I have a 2400 DELL DIMENSION, and I'm dying to add a second hard drive
>> to the puny 40G that is already there.
>>
>> Does Dell discourage this? Do they have a bracket available for such
>> a project? Is it still out of stock after 6 months?
>>
>> Help!!
>>
>> Mike
>
My Dimension XPS Gen 2 came with the bracket for a second drive in place.
All I had to do was remove it, fasten it to the second drive and put it back
in place.

Jack Mac
June 29, 2004 12:38:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

My 4600 came with two hdd brackets as well. Happened to notice they were
identical when I was swapping around drive positions.
Had noticed a friends 2400 only came with one bracket so if she wants to
installed a second hdd I can tell her what to order - the part number
printed on the current bracket.

"Jack Mac" <camkcaj@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:rodsd01fbnag4t7bpiusetsvhumsrde2u5@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 09:24:06 +1200, "Robert" <PcTech@paradise.net.nz>
wrote:
>
> >Yes they do. It is identical to the one already in the PC.
> >To make it easier they have the part number already printed on it.
> >
> >I wanted a floppy drive bracket for a dimension 4600.
> >I quoted the part number on the side of a friends one - price a bit high
but
> >ordered it.
> >I got the bracket, drive and cable - quite cheap.
> >
> >I ordered it via the web
> >https://support.ap.dell.com/ap/en/emaildell/feedback/sp...
> >
> >"Michael P Gabriel" <axipolti@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >news:a20043.0406241405.513c2e0c@posting.google.com...
> >> I have a 2400 DELL DIMENSION, and I'm dying to add a second hard drive
> >> to the puny 40G that is already there.
> >>
> >> Does Dell discourage this? Do they have a bracket available for such
> >> a project? Is it still out of stock after 6 months?
> >>
> >> Help!!
> >>
> >> Mike
> >
> My Dimension XPS Gen 2 came with the bracket for a second drive in place.
> All I had to do was remove it, fasten it to the second drive and put it
back
> in place.
>
> Jack Mac
>
>
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 12:38:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Robert" <PcTech@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

>"Jack Mac" <camkcaj@bellsouth.net> wrote
..
>>"Robert" <PcTech@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

>> >"Michael P Gabriel" <axipolti@yahoo.com> wrote

>> >> I have a 2400 DELL DIMENSION, and I'm dying to add a second hard drive
>> >> to the puny 40G that is already there.

>>>Yes they do. It is identical to the one already in the PC.
>>>To make it easier they have the part number already printed on it.
>>>
>>>I wanted a floppy drive bracket for a dimension 4600.
>>>I quoted the part number on the side of a friends one - price a bit high but
>>>ordered it.

>>My Dimension XPS Gen 2 came with the bracket for a second drive in place.
>>All I had to do was remove it, fasten it to the second drive and put it back
>>in place.

>My 4600 came with two hdd brackets as well. Happened to notice they were
>identical when I was swapping around drive positions.
>Had noticed a friends 2400 only came with one bracket so if she wants to
>installed a second hdd I can tell her what to order - the part number
>printed on the current bracket.

Robert, what you and Jack Mac are missing is that Michael has,
and is asking about, a D2400, not a D4600, or a DXPS Gen 2.
The D4600 and DXPS have a second internal HD bay, and come with
the drive mounting clips to put a second HD into that bay.

The 2400 comes with only one internal drive bay, which contains
the "puny 40G" drive the Michael wants to supplement.

This may give you an idea of what Michael faces:

http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/dim2400/en/sm_en/t...

The only way AFAIK, for Michael to put a second HD in his 2400
would be to jury rig it on his own. Liberal use of duct tape
comes immediately to mind.

His better choice is to bite the bullet, buy the drive in the
size he wants, and replace his current drive. Second benefit, he
gets a clean reinstallation of everything, his WinWhatever
registry starts out fresh.
--
OJ III
[Email to Yahoo address may be burned before reading.
Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 12:38:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

There is a bracket for the 2400. It places another drive against the side
of the case at the bottom. It is available from Dell.
"Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:a0h0e05d2bql9ouk0mjv75iuf4lmi07r26@4ax.com...
> "Robert" <PcTech@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
>
> >"Jack Mac" <camkcaj@bellsouth.net> wrote
> .
> >>"Robert" <PcTech@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
>
> >> >"Michael P Gabriel" <axipolti@yahoo.com> wrote
>
> >> >> I have a 2400 DELL DIMENSION, and I'm dying to add a second hard
drive
> >> >> to the puny 40G that is already there.
>
> >>>Yes they do. It is identical to the one already in the PC.
> >>>To make it easier they have the part number already printed on it.
> >>>
> >>>I wanted a floppy drive bracket for a dimension 4600.
> >>>I quoted the part number on the side of a friends one - price a bit
high but
> >>>ordered it.
>
> >>My Dimension XPS Gen 2 came with the bracket for a second drive in
place.
> >>All I had to do was remove it, fasten it to the second drive and put it
back
> >>in place.
>
> >My 4600 came with two hdd brackets as well. Happened to notice they were
> >identical when I was swapping around drive positions.
> >Had noticed a friends 2400 only came with one bracket so if she wants to
> >installed a second hdd I can tell her what to order - the part number
> >printed on the current bracket.
>
> Robert, what you and Jack Mac are missing is that Michael has,
> and is asking about, a D2400, not a D4600, or a DXPS Gen 2.
> The D4600 and DXPS have a second internal HD bay, and come with
> the drive mounting clips to put a second HD into that bay.
>
> The 2400 comes with only one internal drive bay, which contains
> the "puny 40G" drive the Michael wants to supplement.
>
> This may give you an idea of what Michael faces:
>
> http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/dim2400/en/sm_en/t...
>
> The only way AFAIK, for Michael to put a second HD in his 2400
> would be to jury rig it on his own. Liberal use of duct tape
> comes immediately to mind.
>
> His better choice is to bite the bullet, buy the drive in the
> size he wants, and replace his current drive. Second benefit, he
> gets a clean reinstallation of everything, his WinWhatever
> registry starts out fresh.
> --
> OJ III
> [Email to Yahoo address may be burned before reading.
> Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 1:43:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:jKidnTQir5IWEn3d4p2dnA@comcast.com...
> There is a bracket for the 2400. It places another drive against the side
> of the case at the bottom. It is available from Dell.


And ebay, at an inflated price. Both in kit form and just the bare drive
cage.


Stew
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 6:02:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

In article <oC4Ec.213$Zl3.114@bignews3.bellsouth.net>,
"S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote:
>
>"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>news:jKidnTQir5IWEn3d4p2dnA@comcast.com...
>> There is a bracket for the 2400. It places another drive against the side
>> of the case at the bottom. It is available from Dell.
>
>And ebay, at an inflated price. Both in kit form and just the bare drive
>cage.

What about installing one of those "removeable drive" racks if there's
a spare slot somewhere for that? After all, you don't *have* to
remove the thing.


Cheers, Phred.

--
ppnerkDELETE@THISyahoo.com.INVALID
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 6:02:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

ppnerkDELETETHIS@yahoo.com (Phred) wrote:

>"S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote:

>>"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote

>>> There is a bracket for the 2400. It places another drive against the side
>>> of the case at the bottom. It is available from Dell.

>>And ebay, at an inflated price. Both in kit form and just the bare drive
>>cage.

>What about installing one of those "removeable drive" racks if there's
>a spare slot somewhere for that? After all, you don't *have* to
>remove the thing.

If you check the link in my previous post, 2400 has three "bays",
the HD cage vertically at the bottom front of the case and the CD
and 3-1/2" floppy bays horizontally at the top front.

It's why I generally shy away from recommending the 2xxx in favor
of the 4xxx series, expandability. If drive size is the only
reason the OP is looking to "upgrade" his 2400, just buying the
larger drive to replace the 40GB would be, to my eyes, his best
choice. Sure there's a reload of OS/app programs, but there's
also no ordering a kit, waiting on delivery, installing the kit,
etc.
--
OJ III
[Email to Yahoo address may be burned before reading.
Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 11:13:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 21:29:44 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com>
wrote:

[ebay links]

>Stew

A testament to American enterprise and ingenuity. Sell a $0.23
bracket for $20 + $8 shipping. Yah, right. I ended up taking some
sheet steel and fabricating my own with the help of a drill press and
large vise. Works great, less filling. I only needed three of them.
But thanks anyway. I really hope not too many people get ripped off
by these opportunists.


___

Buck Fush
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 11:13:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Jim Kent" <j.g.kent@markusplace.com> wrote in message
news:tq36e0dees8lb5qkng999fk1hsd41ql8ns@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 21:29:44 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com>
> wrote:
>
> [ebay links]
>
>>Stew
>
> A testament to American enterprise and ingenuity. Sell a $0.23
> bracket for $20 + $8 shipping. Yah, right. I ended up taking some
> sheet steel and fabricating my own with the help of a drill press and
> large vise. Works great, less filling. I only needed three of them.
> But thanks anyway. I really hope not too many people get ripped off
> by these opportunists.
>
>

<snip>


Yup. But for those who can't do for themselves (for whatever reason) the
option is out there, which is the only reason I posted the info.


Stew
!