Hard Drive Bracket for second hard drive?

I have a 2400 DELL DIMENSION, and I'm dying to add a second hard drive
to the puny 40G that is already there.

Does Dell discourage this? Do they have a bracket available for such
a project? Is it still out of stock after 6 months?

Help!!

Mike
11 answers Last reply
More about hard drive bracket hard drive

    They have it. It's in stock (or at least it was recently). Call them
    "Michael P Gabriel" <axipolti@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I have a 2400 DELL DIMENSION, and I'm dying to add a second hard drive
    > to the puny 40G that is already there.
    >
    > Does Dell discourage this? Do they have a bracket available for such
    > a project? Is it still out of stock after 6 months?
    >
    > Help!!
    >
    > Mike

    Yes they do. It is identical to the one already in the PC.
    To make it easier they have the part number already printed on it.

    I wanted a floppy drive bracket for a dimension 4600.
    I quoted the part number on the side of a friends one - price a bit high but
    ordered it.
    I got the bracket, drive and cable - quite cheap.

    I ordered it via the web
    https://support.ap.dell.com/ap/en/emaildell/feedback/spareparts.asp

    On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 09:24:06 +1200, "Robert" <PcTech@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

    >Yes they do. It is identical to the one already in the PC.
    >To make it easier they have the part number already printed on it.
    >
    >I wanted a floppy drive bracket for a dimension 4600.
    >I quoted the part number on the side of a friends one - price a bit high but
    >ordered it.
    >I got the bracket, drive and cable - quite cheap.
    >
    >I ordered it via the web
    >https://support.ap.dell.com/ap/en/emaildell/feedback/spareparts.asp
    >
    >"Michael P Gabriel" <axipolti@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> I have a 2400 DELL DIMENSION, and I'm dying to add a second hard drive
    >> to the puny 40G that is already there.
    >>
    >> Does Dell discourage this? Do they have a bracket available for such
    >> a project? Is it still out of stock after 6 months?
    >>
    >> Help!!
    >>
    >> Mike

    My Dimension XPS Gen 2 came with the bracket for a second drive in place.
    All I had to do was remove it, fasten it to the second drive and put it back
    in place.

    Jack Mac

    My 4600 came with two hdd brackets as well. Happened to notice they were
    identical when I was swapping around drive positions.
    Had noticed a friends 2400 only came with one bracket so if she wants to
    installed a second hdd I can tell her what to order - the part number
    printed on the current bracket.

    "Jack Mac" <camkcaj@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 09:24:06 +1200, "Robert" <PcTech@paradise.net.nz>
    wrote:

    > >Yes they do. It is identical to the one already in the PC.
    > >To make it easier they have the part number already printed on it.
    > >
    > >I wanted a floppy drive bracket for a dimension 4600.
    > >I quoted the part number on the side of a friends one - price a bit high
    but
    > >ordered it.
    > >I got the bracket, drive and cable - quite cheap.
    > >
    > >I ordered it via the web
    > >https://support.ap.dell.com/ap/en/emaildell/feedback/spareparts.asp
    > >
    > >"Michael P Gabriel" <axipolti@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >> I have a 2400 DELL DIMENSION, and I'm dying to add a second hard drive
    > >> to the puny 40G that is already there.
    > >>
    > >> Does Dell discourage this? Do they have a bracket available for such
    > >> a project? Is it still out of stock after 6 months?
    > >>
    > >> Help!!
    > >>
    > >> Mike
    > >
    > My Dimension XPS Gen 2 came with the bracket for a second drive in place.
    > All I had to do was remove it, fasten it to the second drive and put it
    back
    > in place.
    >
    > Jack Mac

    "Robert" <PcTech@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

    >"Jack Mac" <camkcaj@bellsouth.net> wrote
    ..
    >>"Robert" <PcTech@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

    >> >"Michael P Gabriel" <axipolti@yahoo.com> wrote

    >>>Yes they do. It is identical to the one already in the PC.
    >>>To make it easier they have the part number already printed on it.
    >>>
    >>>I wanted a floppy drive bracket for a dimension 4600.
    >>>I quoted the part number on the side of a friends one - price a bit high but
    >>>ordered it.

    >>My Dimension XPS Gen 2 came with the bracket for a second drive in place.
    >>All I had to do was remove it, fasten it to the second drive and put it back
    >>in place.

    >My 4600 came with two hdd brackets as well. Happened to notice they were
    >identical when I was swapping around drive positions.
    >Had noticed a friends 2400 only came with one bracket so if she wants to
    >installed a second hdd I can tell her what to order - the part number
    >printed on the current bracket.

    Robert, what you and Jack Mac are missing is that Michael has,
    and is asking about, a D2400, not a D4600, or a DXPS Gen 2.
    The D4600 and DXPS have a second internal HD bay, and come with
    the drive mounting clips to put a second HD into that bay.

    The 2400 comes with only one internal drive bay, which contains
    the "puny 40G" drive the Michael wants to supplement.

    This may give you an idea of what Michael faces:

    http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/dim2400/en/sm_en/techov.htm

    The only way AFAIK, for Michael to put a second HD in his 2400
    would be to jury rig it on his own. Liberal use of duct tape
    comes immediately to mind.

    His better choice is to bite the bullet, buy the drive in the
    size he wants, and replace his current drive. Second benefit, he
    gets a clean reinstallation of everything, his WinWhatever
    registry starts out fresh.
    --
    OJ III

    There is a bracket for the 2400. It places another drive against the side
    of the case at the bottom. It is available from Dell.

    > There is a bracket for the 2400. It places another drive against the side
    > of the case at the bottom. It is available from Dell.

    And ebay, at an inflated price. Both in kit form and just the bare drive
    cage.

    Stew

    In article <oC4Ec.213$Zl3.114@bignews3.bellsouth.net>,
    "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote:

    >"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
    >> There is a bracket for the 2400. It places another drive against the side
    >> of the case at the bottom. It is available from Dell.
    >
    >And ebay, at an inflated price. Both in kit form and just the bare drive
    >cage.

    What about installing one of those "removeable drive" racks if there's
    a spare slot somewhere for that? After all, you don't *have* to
    remove the thing.

    Cheers, Phred.

    --
    ppnerkDELETE@THISyahoo.com.INVALID

    ppnerkDELETETHIS@yahoo.com (Phred) wrote:

    >"S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote:

    >>"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote

    >>> There is a bracket for the 2400. It places another drive against the side
    >>> of the case at the bottom. It is available from Dell.

    >>And ebay, at an inflated price. Both in kit form and just the bare drive
    >>cage.

    >What about installing one of those "removeable drive" racks if there's
    >a spare slot somewhere for that? After all, you don't *have* to
    >remove the thing.

    If you check the link in my previous post, 2400 has three "bays",
    the HD cage vertically at the bottom front of the case and the CD
    and 3-1/2" floppy bays horizontally at the top front.

    It's why I generally shy away from recommending the 2xxx in favor
    of the 4xxx series, expandability. If drive size is the only
    reason the OP is looking to "upgrade" his 2400, just buying the
    larger drive to replace the 40GB would be, to my eyes, his best
    choice. Sure there's a reload of OS/app programs, but there's
    also no ordering a kit, waiting on delivery, installing the kit,
    etc.
    --
    OJ III

    On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 21:29:44 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com>
    wrote:

    [ebay links]

    >Stew

    A testament to American enterprise and ingenuity. Sell a $0.23
    bracket for $20 + $8 shipping. Yah, right. I ended up taking some
    sheet steel and fabricating my own with the help of a drill press and
    large vise. Works great, less filling. I only needed three of them.
    But thanks anyway. I really hope not too many people get ripped off
    by these opportunists.

    ___

    Buck Fush

    "Jim Kent" <j.g.kent@markusplace.com> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 21:29:44 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > [ebay links]
    >
    >>Stew
    >
    > A testament to American enterprise and ingenuity. Sell a $0.23
    > bracket for $20 + $8 shipping. Yah, right. I ended up taking some
    > sheet steel and fabricating my own with the help of a drill press and
    > large vise. Works great, less filling. I only needed three of them.
    > But thanks anyway. I really hope not too many people get ripped off
    > by these opportunists.

    <snip>

    Yup. But for those who can't do for themselves (for whatever reason) the
    option is out there, which is the only reason I posted the info.

    Stew

Dell Dimension Hard Drives Computers