Can't update MN-700 w/SP2

Last response: in Networking
September 15, 2004 1:45:23 PM

I have a simple home network with 2 laptops with wireless
cards connected to MN-700 base station. After installing
SP2 on one laptop, I was able to update the Broadband
Networking Utility software on that PC. But the update
to the firmware of the MN-700 failed (after numerous
attempts). I followed all the Help tips; was connected
by wired Ethernet as instructed (do I need to disconnect
wireless card?); got the right password. No joy. Any
suggestions? Many thanks -

More about : update 700 sp2

September 15, 2004 9:20:22 PM

"Guy Armstrong" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a simple home network with 2 laptops with wireless
> cards connected to MN-700 base station. After installing
> SP2 on one laptop, I was able to update the Broadband
> Networking Utility software on that PC. But the update
> to the firmware of the MN-700 failed (after numerous
> attempts). I followed all the Help tips; was connected
> by wired Ethernet as instructed (do I need to disconnect
> wireless card?); got the right password. No joy. Any
> suggestions? Many thanks -

You don't need the MSBN software on any of your PCs provided you're using XP
and especially with SP2 installed. You can log on to the base station via
your browser and set all the options that way. Just make sure the wireless
networking service is started and set to automatic on your XP PCs.

As far as updating the firmware, I would disconnect the wireless connections
and try it that way. Just keep the base station hooked by Ethernet cable to
your desktop when updating the firmware.
September 15, 2004 9:26:10 PM

Can't remember how exactly I did it.
But I ddefinitely would end your wireless connection.

"Guy Armstrong" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le
message de news: 199501c49b43$651251b0$a601280a@phx.gbl...
>I have a simple home network with 2 laptops with wireless
> cards connected to MN-700 base station. After installing
> SP2 on one laptop, I was able to update the Broadband
> Networking Utility software on that PC. But the update
> to the firmware of the MN-700 failed (after numerous
> attempts). I followed all the Help tips; was connected
> by wired Ethernet as instructed (do I need to disconnect
> wireless card?); got the right password. No joy. Any
> suggestions? Many thanks -
Related resources
September 16, 2004 10:12:35 AM

By having both the wired connection & wireless connection at the same
time you will have problems. When you switch over to a wired connection
I'd highly recommend removing the wireless card or at the very least
disabling it.

Guy Armstrong wrote:

> I have a simple home network with 2 laptops with wireless
> cards connected to MN-700 base station. After installing
> SP2 on one laptop, I was able to update the Broadband
> Networking Utility software on that PC. But the update
> to the firmware of the MN-700 failed (after numerous
> attempts). I followed all the Help tips; was connected
> by wired Ethernet as instructed (do I need to disconnect
> wireless card?); got the right password. No joy. Any
> suggestions? Many thanks -
Anonymous
September 25, 2004 3:15:42 AM

Can I still update the firmware without the BNU on SP2?

wrote in message
>>I have a simple home network with 2 laptops with wireless
>> cards connected to MN-700 base station. After installing
>> SP2 on one laptop, I was able to update the Broadband
>> Networking Utility software on that PC. But the update
>> to the firmware of the MN-700 failed (after numerous
>> attempts). I followed all the Help tips; was connected
>> by wired Ethernet as instructed (do I need to disconnect
>> wireless card?); got the right password. No joy. Any
>> suggestions? Many thanks -
>
>You don't need the MSBN software on any of your PCs
provided you're using XP
>and especially with SP2 installed. You can log on to the
base station via
>your browser and set all the options that way. Just make
sure the wireless
>networking service is started and set to automatic on your
XP PCs.

>As far as updating the firmware, I would disconnect the
wireless connections
>and try it that way. Just keep the base station hooked by
Ethernet cable to
>your desktop when updating the firmware.
>

>.

Anonymous
September 25, 2004 4:05:10 PM

Yes.