Can't update MN-700 w/SP2

I have a simple home network with 2 laptops with wireless
cards connected to MN-700 base station. After installing
SP2 on one laptop, I was able to update the Broadband
Networking Utility software on that PC. But the update
to the firmware of the MN-700 failed (after numerous
attempts). I followed all the Help tips; was connected
by wired Ethernet as instructed (do I need to disconnect
wireless card?); got the right password. No joy. Any
suggestions? Many thanks -
5 answers Last reply
More about update

    "Guy Armstrong" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a simple home network with 2 laptops with wireless
    > cards connected to MN-700 base station. After installing
    > SP2 on one laptop, I was able to update the Broadband
    > Networking Utility software on that PC. But the update
    > to the firmware of the MN-700 failed (after numerous
    > attempts). I followed all the Help tips; was connected
    > by wired Ethernet as instructed (do I need to disconnect
    > wireless card?); got the right password. No joy. Any
    > suggestions? Many thanks -

    You don't need the MSBN software on any of your PCs provided you're using XP
    and especially with SP2 installed. You can log on to the base station via
    your browser and set all the options that way. Just make sure the wireless
    networking service is started and set to automatic on your XP PCs.

    As far as updating the firmware, I would disconnect the wireless connections
    and try it that way. Just keep the base station hooked by Ethernet cable to
    your desktop when updating the firmware.

    Can't remember how exactly I did it.
    But I ddefinitely would end your wireless connection.

    "Guy Armstrong" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le
    message de news: 199501c49b43$651251b0$a601280a@phx.gbl...
    >I have a simple home network with 2 laptops with wireless
    > cards connected to MN-700 base station. After installing
    > SP2 on one laptop, I was able to update the Broadband
    > Networking Utility software on that PC. But the update
    > to the firmware of the MN-700 failed (after numerous
    > attempts). I followed all the Help tips; was connected
    > by wired Ethernet as instructed (do I need to disconnect
    > wireless card?); got the right password. No joy. Any
    > suggestions? Many thanks -

    By having both the wired connection & wireless connection at the same
    time you will have problems. When you switch over to a wired connection
    I'd highly recommend removing the wireless card or at the very least
    disabling it.

    Guy Armstrong wrote:

    > I have a simple home network with 2 laptops with wireless
    > cards connected to MN-700 base station. After installing
    > SP2 on one laptop, I was able to update the Broadband
    > Networking Utility software on that PC. But the update
    > to the firmware of the MN-700 failed (after numerous
    > attempts). I followed all the Help tips; was connected
    > by wired Ethernet as instructed (do I need to disconnect
    > wireless card?); got the right password. No joy. Any
    > suggestions? Many thanks -

    Can I still update the firmware without the BNU on SP2?

    wrote in message
    >>I have a simple home network with 2 laptops with wireless
    >> cards connected to MN-700 base station. After installing
    >> SP2 on one laptop, I was able to update the Broadband
    >> Networking Utility software on that PC. But the update
    >> to the firmware of the MN-700 failed (after numerous
    >> attempts). I followed all the Help tips; was connected
    >> by wired Ethernet as instructed (do I need to disconnect
    >> wireless card?); got the right password. No joy. Any
    >> suggestions? Many thanks -
    >
    >You don't need the MSBN software on any of your PCs
    provided you're using XP
    >and especially with SP2 installed. You can log on to the
    base station via
    >your browser and set all the options that way. Just make
    sure the wireless
    >networking service is started and set to automatic on your
    XP PCs.

    >As far as updating the firmware, I would disconnect the
    wireless connections
    >and try it that way. Just keep the base station hooked by
    Ethernet cable to
    >your desktop when updating the firmware.
    >

    >.

    Yes.

    --
    Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

    Find out about the MS MVP Program -

    "Berm Lee" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can I still update the firmware without the BNU on SP2?

Routers Networking