450 watt power suply - generic
AC Inout 11v5/230v 10A/6A 50/60 HZ
+3.3v - 26a
+5v - 35A
+12v 15a
-12v .8a
-5v .5a
+5vsb 29

I have tested the video card / hard drive / memory / dvd on this computer seperatly piece by piece and every part works fine. When I go to install windows I get to the point where it says on the bottom right hand corner says : Starting windows setup. Then it will just sit there and never do anything. So then I took my hard drive from this computer and put it in there and then it will go pass the bios screen then the windows error screen comes up asking if I want safemode. I click the start windows command and then it will just go straight black and wont do anything.
So any help out there for this, I am completely out of ideas. Thank you in advance.

wschuerm

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
Hi. Does it do that every time. I had pretty much the same problem. My problem was bad ram. Only i got to do the windows install on most occasions it nerver went past the login screen. Computer just kept rebooting. The fact that u already tested everything does make me wonder. Check your power supply voltages in the bios to make sure they are ok and then also check if the heatsink is seated correctly on the CPU. (or if the die is not cracked)

The windows cd is ok is it?

Check master slave settings on HDD and DVD (back of the actual drive)

SL6EF OC's GOOD

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
So then I took my hard drive from this computer and put it in there and then it will go pass the bios screen then the windows error screen comes up asking if I want safemode. I click the start windows command and then it will just go straight black and wont do anything.
So any help out there for this, I am completely out of ideas. Thank you in advance.
That won't work (unless the system you pulled the HD from has the same mobo/chipset). You're experiencing a chipset/driver conflict.

Try running memtest86 to check your ram. It's a free proggie for d/l. It's a bootable floppy so you don't need an OS in there to use it.

Mobile XP 2600+ (11X200)
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL
BBA 9800 Pro
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win98SE

ohnoesaz

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004
I had that prob sometimes, as well as 3d apps crashing to desktops. Turned out my cpu wasnt getting enough voltage, which was determined automatically by the BIOS. I did it manual and raised the voltage and all has been fine.

AndyE12

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
sorry about not replying soon enough. Thank you guys for the input. I ended up taking everything from the case and tried booting it on a pillow. Well it actually worked perfect and booted up into windows and is perfectly fine.
So I decided well that case is crappy anyways and if it is causing the MB to fry out then I should get a new one. Well I bought one and guess what...I put everything in and checked everything 10 times, but the screen wont even go anywhere now. I turn it on and nothing goes on the screen.... damn this is getting annoying.

Make sure that when you mount your mobo on it's tray that none of the metal posts used for screws are touching the mobo. There are mounting holes in the board (holes in the board with metal around them)... and if the metal posts are touching the mobo in any spot aside from the mounting holes, the board will not power on to prevent damaging itself. Also, make sure that you are using the mounting posts and not screwing the board directly to the tray. (I realize this may sound silly to our more knowledgable posters here... but I had a customer that actually did this)

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I've often wondered whether anyone's ever done that. Now I know :lol: ..

---
Epox 8RDA+ V1.1 w/ Custom NB HS
XP1700+ @200x10 (~2Ghz), 1.4 Vcore
2x256Mb Corsair PC3200LL/1x512Mb Corsair XMS PC4000 2.5-3-3-7
Sapphire 9800Pro (VGA Silencer Rev3) @418/742