Installing programs on HDD rather than SSD

Simax

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
I recently built a gaming computer. I was advised to buy an SSD to install windows on for faster boot times and an HDD for everything else. I checked out windows 7 64bit requirements and it said at least 20gb of hard drive space. So I decided to buy a 30gb SSD to have the OS loaded on it, with firefox, steam and itunes (the programs I use the most) I thought that would be more than enough
And a terabite of HDD for everything else.

After building the computer and installing the OS. I moved all my username files (desktop, pictures etc) to the HDD. I redirected all the installations to the HDD through rgedit. And I didn't install any of the games from steam. At the start, everything was fine and there was about 3 gigs left on the SSD. However right after a big windows update (93 individual ones), I had only 1.5gb's!! I unistalled Itunes and firefox and reinstalled them with their directory to my HDD. It created folders in my HDD's program files AND my SSD's program files. So the amount of space left on the SSD is steadily going down every time something new is installed. I also installed the drivers for my computer components and their folders seem to be on the SSD and nothing on the HDD

My question is: Is there a way to ONLY install Windows 7, firefox, Itunes and steam on the SSD, and everything else SOLELY on the HDD. I am willing to go as far as resetting my computer to reinstall the OS, but I do not want to have to buy a whole new SSD with 64gigs (as some people recommended)
thanks

Solution
You are on a hiding to nothing....

Your life will be miserable trying to micro manage Win7 into a 30gig drive. Many programs will put some components on the C: drive, even if you tell it to install on another drive through its options.... and as you have found out.. windows is not great at managing space when it patches,.. so it will be a relentless struggle to manage.

I used to manage my Win 7 in a 60GB partition - and it started to get tight.. even though I did the basics of not installing any progs on the C drive.. directing them to an alternative partition. So now its on a 120GB SSD.. (so 111GB usable... and 64GB is free)... for example.. 6GB is taken up on page file...I could shrink it.. or move it to a HDD...but better not...
You are on a hiding to nothing....

Your life will be miserable trying to micro manage Win7 into a 30gig drive. Many programs will put some components on the C: drive, even if you tell it to install on another drive through its options.... and as you have found out.. windows is not great at managing space when it patches,.. so it will be a relentless struggle to manage.

I used to manage my Win 7 in a 60GB partition - and it started to get tight.. even though I did the basics of not installing any progs on the C drive.. directing them to an alternative partition. So now its on a 120GB SSD.. (so 111GB usable... and 64GB is free)... for example.. 6GB is taken up on page file...I could shrink it.. or move it to a HDD...but better not to throttle it ... best to let Windows breathe ;)

Can you do it? Sure.. its possible... is it worth it? No... Lifes too short... Unless you are REALLY constrained on cost.

Just MHO of course.
Cheers

Solution
Use both yes, connect them together, no. Do u have a z77 mobo. If so can use intel smart response technology (srt) to install everything on the hdd and use the ssd as a cache for the things that get used most. That'll get u most advantages of ssd without micromanaging and cost nothing extr.

you can mount partitions of your hard drive into subdirectories of your SSD.
look up junction points. You can run windows built in cleanmgr.exe to clean up some space on your SSD but 30GB SSD should only be used as a cache drive for a HDD or for a system that uses cloud storage.

-you could always get a second SSD and mount it into a subdirectory of your primary SSD.

Like Yoji said - even a 64 GB SSD will be tight. The whole idea is to put things on the SSD that you want to load quickly. This is your OS and some applications. I have a 120 GB SSD, and I only have the OS and a few applications on it and use half the drive.

If you only get a 60GB SSD you will go from micro-managing a drive that is way to small to a drive that is too small. Look around at recommendations for OS SSD drive size, and you'll see most saying that 64GB minimum and 120 recommended.

You will have a hard time combining the 2. You could use raid 0, but there are some risks involved, and you won't find many people recommending raid for SSD's.

Simax

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
Ok guys, I gave in to ordering a 128 gig SSD when I saw a good deal. But now the problem is reinstalling Windows 7. I still have the original OS disc but I guess it won't work If I re put the original code. I also heard that you need to contact Microsoft support. Is this a lengthy process? or is there a better and more efficient way of reinstalling windows 7 on a different drive?

You should be able to clone your existing disk over to your new disk.
If you bought a retail product - you will probably get a tool to do this (or th esupplier will have teamed up with someone and provide you the tools). e.g. on my Intel SSd - they provided Acronis to do it... and on my Samsung 830... they provided Norton Ghost.

With a good tool - it will clone over your Windows Key (but your original key should still work anyway).

Good luck