Leadtek G4 Ti 4400
Creative Labs Audigy - OEM
2 X 40 Gig Maxtor 7200 ATA133 Raid 0
Pioneer 16X DVD-ROM
Panasonic 8X4X32 CDRW
ACER X40 CD-ROM
17" Samsung 755DF
Logitech Z-560 THX 4.1 Speakers

When I first loaded it up I had Win98 on it. Mech4 ran fine and looked GREAT. Had stability prob with raid and could not use usb2 so upgraded to XP Pro. Now everything is stable but Mech4 will not run.....just sits there with black screen. Tried all the thing Microshaft suggested but no go. All the older MS games are fine (Midtown, Motocross etc). Odd...............any one else have this prob ?

The sum of the intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.

NialM

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2001
Ya....tried. If I try Win98 mode, I get a nice little error window from XP saying sorry but an error has occured. If I try NT or 2000 I get the same black screen as XP.....Grrrr

You would think the MS would insure that THIER games worked with THIER OS !!

The sum of the intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Ive run Mechwarrior 4 on XP Pro, no problem. Try a reinstall of the game.

If I am correct, when you install the XP upgrade, it tells you that some programs will have to be reinstalled to work on XP.

Crashing takes on a whole new meaning at 9.8 m/s. :tongue: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Lonemagi on 04/21/02 05:08 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Yeah, Mech4 will play under NT. I don't know about 5.1, but before I nuked the disks, it played under 5.0.

Sounds like a driver problem, or a setup/options problem.

NialM

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2001
No.....its not a driver issue. I beleave its a Mech4 - XP - Audigy problem. I have since formated and installed XP PRo the full ver, updated all my drivers, tried other drivers, tried all compatibility modes.....no good. As I said before, it worked fine on the exact same system and drivers under Win98.

-N-

NialM

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2001
Lonemagi;

Do you have an Audigy ?

-N-

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Nope, I have a C-Media 3738, its a generic SB compat 5.1 card. Why?

Once I thought, then I <A HREF="http://www.warroom.com" target="_new">learned</A>

NialM

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2001
A bad card ? How do you figure that ? The only thing that doesn't work is the one game.

-N-

<b><font color=blue>Paramedics - Does this mean there is always two of them ?</font color=blue></b>

NialM

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2001
Actually, I seem to remember it was dark out when I tried it. Maybe I will try again when the sun is up.

Thanks for your insightful input.

-N-

<b><font color=blue>Paramedics - Does this mean there is always two of them ?</font color=blue></b>

juicebykurt

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
Well, it may just be that you have components and their drivers that don't like Mech4 in XP. It would be helpful if some people who run XP and Mech4 successfully, put up their system specs and drivers. That would at least help narrow it down.

Have you checked on the net for forums and faqs and what not? More than likely this issue is documented somewhere.

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
thats interesting, i had the opposite happen to me. i had win98 and some games didnt work right, and when i went to XP everything worked. you did make a nice clean install of win XP right.

The first LAN party I went to was at a PETA convention. They booted me when I shot a crab in HL!

NialM

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2001
From what I can tell, it seems to pe an XP - Audigy - Mech thing.

-N-

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
read about the first 6 posts, dont know what specifically is wrong with your system but...

I have run Mech IV, patched to the latest version on an Asus p4t/p4 1.7/Audigy/XP Pro Full Version with zero problems. I do not even have to use a compatibility mode, it works fine for me. Don't have the audigy anymore, have a GTXP now and it works fine with that too. So the problem lies elsewhere from audigy or XP.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out

NialM

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2001
Strange......VERY strange......

-N-

NialM

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2001
Yes, reinstalled MANY times, and also installed the OS 3 times. This is the only game / progy that will not work.

-N-

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Its probably from all the shrapnel imbedded in the motherboard from all the time you played it on win98. Those rockets are vicious. Try winging it to the repair hanger. :cool:

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out