Windows 2000 locks up

G

I installed an A7V KT 133 motherboard and components without any problems. However, when I switched over to the Ultra 100 controller, it ran fine initially, but once I installed another piece of software, the computer locked up during reboot (when the status bar appears).

I checked out the BIOS, which didn't show my drive on the Ultra 100 controller. However, the system info that loads during the boot process showed my HD on the Ulta 100 ATA Adapter, which led me to believe that the board recognized that my Maxtor drive is instralled on the Ultra 100 controller.

Once Windows locked up, I tried to switch back to the ATA 66 controller, but no luck. My only solution was to reload the OS.

I did a search in this forum, but didn't find someone with this particular problem. Has anyone else had any other problems similar to this? Any suggestions?

-Thanks

I am running the following...
ASUS A7V KT 133
Athlon 1 GHz
Maxtor 45 GB 7200 RPM
384 MB RAM
ATI XPert 2000 32 MB Video Card
Netgear 10/100 PCI Network Card
US Robotics 56K PCI WinModem

G

You need to install and boot windows 2000 using the normal non UDMA controller then download and install the UDMA/100 drivers for your UDMA controller then switch the cable for the drive over the the UDMA connector and restart.

If you look carefully on the bios startup screen for your ultra 100 controller it gives a website URL you can get the latest drivers there.

Greg

G

Greg -
Thanks for your input. I should have mentioned that I did load Windows each time while on the UDMA/66 controller. Then, I tried to install the drivers in Windows and switch over to the UDMA/100 adapter (which is built into the motherboard). However, the problems (not being recognized in the BIOS and the locks up) still occured.

I read somewhere that the Promise UDMA/100 controller will not be supported by Windows 2000 until SP2. Any truth to this?

Thanks.

Zenthar

Distinguished
The ATA-100 mode will not be supported until SP2, until then it can still work as ATA-66 I think. There is more info on microsoft web site.

The HD on ATA-100 will only be recongnised by the Promise BIOS (2nd screen after normal BIOS). Also make sure you have BIOS 1005 or over. As for the lock-up, I don't know how much time you waited, but it takes a while for Win2K to load once you install the ATA-100 driver (but once started it runs great.

I hope this might have helped you.

G

I am currently using the promise ata/100 controller built into the a7v board under 2000. Seems to work fine other than having to do the cable switch after installing the drivers.

Greg

G

I've got the same motherboard and Win2000 runs fine with the ATA-100 controller.
As everyone said, you have to do the installation with the ATA-66, then install Promise drivers and switch the HD to the ATA-100.

doczenith1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I had a similiar prob with diff. mb. My recommendation. Run the ata66 until MS comes out with a fix. The performance diff. will be undetectable. Ata100 only helps when transfering data form the hd's cache. Todays hd's max out at around 40mb/s sustained transfer.

dinoX

Distinguished
May 1, 2001
ahh. sounds like a similar problem that might be the cause of my Windows 2000 locking up maybe. I had my HD hooked to the ATA 100 controller sockets on my ASUS A7V133 motherboard when I did the install of Windows 2000. Should I have to reformat and before installing for the 3rd time connect them to the ATA66 sockets on the motherboard? Check out my post on first page about it to see more deatils if you can help...

I think this is the fix for it. If somebody has used it or uses it, let me know if it works:

<A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q260/2/33.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=ATA%20100&rnk=2&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=WIN2000" target="_new">http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q260/2/33.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=ATA%20100&rnk=2&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=WIN2000</A>

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dinoX on 04/30/01 08:15 PM.</EM></FONT></P>