Sign in with
Your question

A few issues after a few upgrades

December 9, 2012 11:09:02 PM

Well, about 2 weeks ago my PSU crapped out on my Dell XPS 400 so I decided to pick up a new PSU and go ahead and upgrade to a 120gb SSD. My desktop has always ran Windows XP, but I had a laptop with Windows 7 and the motherboard is toast so I took this opportunity to install Windows 7 on my desktop as well. Since installing everything there have been a few annoyances that I'm hoping you guys can help me with.

1. I installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 that I downloaded and used the product key from my old laptop, but I notice in the bottom right hand corner of my menu bar I show that my Desktop PC is fully charged. So, apparently my operating system is setup for laptop not a desktop PC. How can I correct this?

2. A few days ago I noticed that after my PC sat for a few hours and I would attempt to wake it, the computer would not fully boot. I would have a black screen and the cursor would just blink. If I pressed ctrl, alt & delete the task manager would pull up as well as other lock options, but I could still never get the PC to actually process as normal without restarting. I wasn't sure how to fix this, but decided to take a look at my power settings. Right now I changed the time frame in which the hard drive is suppose to turn off from 20 mins to 120 mins and I haven't had the issue since, but is this just masking the issue? Is this something I should be concerned about?

Thanks for any input.

More about : issues upgrades

!