wschuerm

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
Can anyone direct me to some benches to see what the following stuff would do. I know of the 2,9 FX against the 4GHZ EE test by THG but i dont want to spend 800$ on a cpu.

I've got a good watercooling setup so cooling won't be a problem. I've got 2x512mb Corsair PC4000 TWINX which I'll be using either way.

1) ASUS P4C800E - Deluxe with a 3,2E OC'd to about 4GHZ
2) MSI K8N NEO2 Platinum with a 3500+ (130nm) to maybe 2,5GHZ

What system would overall do better, from viewing all the benches i would say intel (this solution would also cost less). But as i said before I would like to see benches and 3500+ OC possibilities

SL6EF OC's GOOD

endyen

Splendid
Why are you limiting the 3500+ to 2.5?
I am not an overclocker, like to stick to stock voltages, hsf, etc. With mild undervolt (1.48) stock fan, and TIM, My A64 3200+ is stable at 2.45. I am sure that with your cooling, and a little extra voltage, I could be stable at 2.7+ speeds.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd go with the 2nd given my terrible experience with the P4C800-E Deluxe and it's junk VRM. Then again, a Prescott doesn't even need the high voltages that cause the VRM to become unstable, but I have a bad taste in my mouth.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

wschuerm

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
Thats strange the P4C800E- Deluxe (or its predecessor) is being used in practically every review and is as far as I know one of the best boards there is for socket 478.

The intel overclock would probably be 16*250 to correspond to the ram which will result in 4 ghz. Which is I believe a reasonable estimation.

For the AMD I would lower the multiplier to 10 and raise fsb to 250 for a nice 2.5 ghz. (maybe lower htt to 4X which seems to be a lot more stable when overclocking from what i've read)then theres 10.5 x250 for 2,625 ghz and 11*250 for 2.75 ghz but from all i've read even watercooling won't deter from the fact that you've got a good chance of not getting past 2.5 ghz with current athlons. If I were to be able to reach 2.7 then the choice would be even harder. For now I think a 4ghz Piv with 1000fsb will be faster than the A64 at 2.5 (PLEASE CORRECT ME IF IML WRONG ON THIS)

My case (Xaser III will also be adding to overall reasonable ccoling, and i've got a brand new Thermaltake butterfly 480W PSU which I think should be enough) These togheter still have 10 fans blowing air in and out of the case.

ASUS P4P800S-X
P IV 2,4 @ nothing caus this board doesn't OC for [-peep-]
2x512MB Corsair pc4000
120 maxtor SATA
Sapphire Radeon 9800pro 128mb
Watercooled<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by wschuerm on 10/09/04 12:34 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, but the voltage range most likely to cause problems (1.60v to 1.75v) is not applicable to overclocking Prescott cores.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can read my P4C800-E Deluxe review at Sysopt. The majority of boards have noticable problems, but once in a while a good one accidentally makes it through. Asus likely hand picked boards for review samples, retail boards have not faired so well.

The problem is at settings such as 1.65v, the voltage will varry by +/- .03v-.05v. On my own board that meant a 1.675v setting would drop to 1.63v (lockup durring overclock) and bounce up to 1.75v (instantenious reboot durring overclock).

wschuerm

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
thats not great. Will I need voltage like that to reach 4ghz with a 3,2E???

ASUS P4P800S-X
2x512MB Corsair pc4000
120 maxtor SATA
Watercooled

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, your vCore should NEVER exceed 1.60v with the Prescott. And since the P4C800-E Deluxe's tempermental range in higher than 1.60v, I don't think it would be a problem. Still I'm upset enough with Asus that I don't recommend this board.

Have you considered the Abit IS7? Tom's didn't care for it, but every other site liked it a lot. Pleanty of users here are enjoying it as well. It's 98% as fast as the fastest boards, has the ICH5R for SATA RAID, Firewire, and a better audio selection (digital input as well as output, 5 analog headers rather than 3), and the AGP card is mounted in the highest position with an empty slot location below it for better card cooling (most other boards simply move the AGP slot downward one position with an empty slot above it). The killer to other boards is that the IS7 does everything well and has a load of features with a price of only $90.

endyen

Splendid
For the best OC on the A64s, it is best to lock the mem bus. Remember that, with the ODMC, the mem bus is seperate from the HTT, or fsb, so you dont take the same async hit, that you do on other types. Since most of the holdup on OCing comes from pushing the ODMC too high, this is the best route. You can also use the 6/5 divider, to get a good result. What with the dual channel, and all, the s939 A64s dont gain much with increased mem bandwidth.
With that being the case, there is little gain in using lower multipliers to gain higher fsb.

wschuerm

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
ABIT socket 478 boards aren't sold aren't sold in the shop where i plan to buy the stuff any more. the thing is that my corsair pc3200 XMS c2 broke down and I brought it in for RMA. I bought 1GB pc4000 corsair immediatly because i didn't have anything to replace it with. The shop will juzst credit me if/when corsair replaces the dim which leaves me with some room for a board and/or CPU.

AGP cooling won't be much of a problem I only have a wireless pci card and my graphics card has an innovatek graph-o-matic on it so gpu cooling is more than adequate (9800 pro runs @ 450 without a problem or other mods though without mem increase an oc like that doesn't do any good. I haven't wen't further any way)

Still I don't know what to choose exactly. Both platforms have their advantages and disadvantages. AMD' disadvantage is (in contrary to popular beliefs) to expensive to reach any (for me) acceptable oc and or performance. It's advantage is that the Socket 939 will give me an upgradepath.

Intel's advantage in the setups i'm thinking about is that it'll cost me over a 100€ less. And gives me more certainty of possible oc's.

So IF i went with intel and i can choose between the following boards what would be best?? Prices are close... with a prescott I won't need anything over 1.6v so that issue doesn't really matter either.

1) DFI LANPARTY PRO875 B (167€)
2) ASUS P4C800E-DELUXE (176€)
3) Abit IC7-MAX3 (178€)

ASUS P4P800S-X
2x512MB Corsair pc4000
120 maxtor SATA
Watercooled<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by wschuerm on 10/10/04 02:29 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Latest posts