tigerpuddles

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2004
About 75% of the time when my computer is turned on there is a very loud whirring type noise. We thought it was the CPU fan so today, I replaced the cpu cooler because I couldn't find just the fan. This is a presario 5300us has an intel celeron processor 1.1 GHz. The noise seems to have started when a video card was installed, but the noise doesn't come from that area. It still sounds like the cpu fan. It doesn't happen on re-booting during the day. It's only on that first stop up. After windows XP comes in then noise ends.PLEASE HELP ME! I don't know what to do! Thanks....

RichPLS

Champion
You can use a paper towel cardboard roll (the center part), and put it against your ear, then the other end move it around your computer with the case off, pointing at fans, powersupply (most likely), until you find the source of the noise.

endyen

Splendid
It could be one of your drives. I would bet that it's the CD drive, though it might also be the floppy. Try unplugging them, and see if the noise goes away. Remember to power the system off before removing any devices.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It could be your power supply fan. It's not uncommon for slightly worn fans to make noise when cold, and quit making noise when they warm up.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
yea my northbridge fan does that when i first start it up....

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
Brand name whores are stupid!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Pull it, remove the sticker from the side with the hole, put a drop of oil in being carefull not to get it on the sticker surface, put the sticker back on.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

bjpatrick

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2004
Sounds like a power supply to me. Place your hand in front of the power supply fan as you boot the computer. If air is not coming out of the fan during the boot. Then it's time to get a new power supply. From what you are explaining. I have had a couple of power supplies do this to me.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OMG, you buy new power supplies when the fan fails? Wow, do you buy new shoes if you break a shoestring too?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, and if you like that, you'll LOVE this: You can get new fans for power supplies too!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, let me get your logic:

"Uh, my power supply has a bad fan. I think I'll get a new one. After all, if I open the power supply, I'll void its warranty. Better to throw it away with the warranty intact."

Is that it?

endyen

Splendid
For me, it would be "my psu fan is broken, I'd better not open it or I'll void the warranty"
Then I take it back to the shop I got it from, and get a brand new psu for free.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
In that case, why mention the $50?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hehe, my power supply is so old...I think I added the ATX12v connector myself!