STTNG GI Problem , too lazy to fix

Ok so here it is... I got general illumination problem on the
backboard. None of the GI lights work. I kinda know what to look for
in diagnosing the problem from Marvin's and this newsgroup. However,
don't you ever get a situation where you feel too lazy and too busy to
try to fix a possible plug problem. aka.. making new pin connectors and
desoldering the pins on the Power driver board.

Do I have to make these myself or can i send it in for repair by some
board repair place. I would rather not spend my time tediously making
these connectors and etc...

Nomad

Geesh, wait until you start getting resets, I imagine you'll be selling
the game instead of trying to track something like that down;) The only
thing where I *sorta* agree with you is if you can do more than 1
repair to the same board I wait until I have the parts to do both but
at least I do them!

nomad

I can repair the game. I repaired more complicated problems before.
Fact is, I don't have much time to repair it for now. Sometimes you
have a job that makes you work 13 hours a day or more. Its life. As
for selling the pins, I am not out of the hobby just yet.

And Nomad, I can repair these machines. They are not so hard. They
just take time to diagnose. Resets, I read it all already my friend.
Everytyhing that is in Clays guide is in my memory banks, the only
things I dont know, I am lucky enough to get feedback here on this
forum. But there are times when a job and career is more important
than pinball. and paying someone to do the GI is a better option.
Damn,, talk about flamers.. AHHAHAHAHA

if you don't want to do these little repairs you're in the wrong hobby.
don't mean to be an ass, but desoldering pins on the CPU and replacing them
is easy stuff. connector housing is a little tougher, but not if you have a
crimper. 30-45 minute job at most.
i totally rebuilt a WPC driver board the other day in 2 hours and I was
actually having fun doing it..... 2 new pin connectors, 3 caps, 3 bridges
and removed, tested and installed all correct fuses.
i must be sick to enjoy this stuff but I do.

Dan

"Dukester" <duke1234@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Ok so here it is... I got general illumination problem on the
> backboard. None of the GI lights work. I kinda know what to look for
> in diagnosing the problem from Marvin's and this newsgroup. However,
> don't you ever get a situation where you feel too lazy and too busy to
> try to fix a possible plug problem. aka.. making new pin connectors and
> desoldering the pins on the Power driver board.
>
> Do I have to make these myself or can i send it in for repair by some
> board repair place. I would rather not spend my time tediously making
> these connectors and etc...

Nomad

Well in defense of us "flamers" your original post said you were just
too lazy, not over burdened with work etc. Most times my only free pin
repair time is 11pm-2am and you can guess how often sitting on the
couch watching tv wins over spending 3 hours in the garage in the wee
hours of the night!

nomad

Well since you should replace the connector and the pins, you can send the
board to Clive, but who are you going to send the whole machine to for the
connector. Get off your a** and fix it right. What like 6 or 8 wires ? You
should be so lucky you have an easy repair. Heaven forbid a bulb go out or
something really big. LTG :)

"Dukester" <duke1234@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Ok so here it is... I got general illumination problem on the
> backboard. None of the GI lights work. I kinda know what to look for
> in diagnosing the problem from Marvin's and this newsgroup. However,
> don't you ever get a situation where you feel too lazy and too busy to
> try to fix a possible plug problem. aka.. making new pin connectors and
> desoldering the pins on the Power driver board.
>
> Do I have to make these myself or can i send it in for repair by some
> board repair place. I would rather not spend my time tediously making
> these connectors and etc...

If you did read my post I admit saying I am too lazy, but you neglected
the part when i also mention "too busy to try to fix..."

It's a combination of both.. Its like this.. I come home from work
sometimes at 11pm... I am tired since my day started at 8:30am. Hence,
I am too lazy and busy to fix the damn game.

Nevertheless, I guess you guys interpreted to mean i got all the time
in the world and do not want to spend it fixing the game.

Mike

Splendid

hell, most of the time I have more fun repairing them then playing them.

john

"DWGoett" <pinball@midamerica.net> wrote in message
> if you don't want to do these little repairs you're in the wrong hobby.
> don't mean to be an ass, but desoldering pins on the CPU and replacing
> them
> is easy stuff. connector housing is a little tougher, but not if you have
> crimper. 30-45 minute job at most.
> i totally rebuilt a WPC driver board the other day in 2 hours and I was
> actually having fun doing it..... 2 new pin connectors, 3 caps, 3 bridges
> and removed, tested and installed all correct fuses.
> i must be sick to enjoy this stuff but I do.
>
> Dan
>
> "Dukester" <duke1234@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Ok so here it is... I got general illumination problem on the
>> backboard. None of the GI lights work. I kinda know what to look for
>> in diagnosing the problem from Marvin's and this newsgroup. However,
>> don't you ever get a situation where you feel too lazy and too busy to
>> try to fix a possible plug problem. aka.. making new pin connectors and
>> desoldering the pins on the Power driver board.
>>
>> Do I have to make these myself or can i send it in for repair by some
>> board repair place. I would rather not spend my time tediously making
>> these connectors and etc...

Just leave the game dark.

<shrug> :/

--
Fred
TX

"Dukester" <duke1234@gmail.com> wrote I would rather not spend my time tediously making

"Dukester" <duke1234@gmail.com> wrote in news:1125521538.937287.228220
@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Ok so here it is... I got general illumination problem on the
> backboard. None of the GI lights work. I kinda know what to look for
> in diagnosing the problem from Marvin's and this newsgroup. However,
> don't you ever get a situation where you feel too lazy and too busy to
> try to fix a possible plug problem. aka.. making new pin connectors and
> desoldering the pins on the Power driver board.

Sure, all the time. My Shadow was down for damn near a year, mainly
because I just didn't f'n FEEL like fixing it.

To me, that's the difference between a job and a hobby. A hobby, I can
do when I damn well f'n want to. A job, I _have_ to do it now.

With that said, when I finally _did_ get around to digging into the
problems with my Sh*adow, enough had built up that I spent almost ten
hours of actual _repair_ time sorting it all (mostly... sigh!) out. But
the point is that I chose when to spend the time on it, rather than being
'forced' to.

> Do I have to make these myself or can i send it in for repair by some
> board repair place. I would rather not spend my time tediously making
> these connectors and etc...

If it were simply a board problem, then yes you could throw money at it.
Unfortuantely, this is not just a board problem, as it is both a board
and a wiring problem. So unless you plan on shipping the entire game to
someone... :)