Team THGC at Folding@Home

Hey guys,
I have created a team <b><font color=red><A HREF="http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=40051" target="_new">Toms Hardware Guide Community (Team id 40051)</A></b></font color=red> at Folding@Home. Every major website has a team there - google, hardocp, anandtech etc. Just not ours. Lets join the team. All you need to is download the client from <A HREF="http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html" target="_new"><b>Folding@Home</b></A>, install it, and enter 40051 as team name/id. You can use your own username. Lets compete with others. Its optional though, but I bet most of us have their computers running all the time doing nothing. Might as well use those wasted cycles for usefull purposes ! :smile:

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/Fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by priyajeet on 10/10/04 05:13 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
126 answers Last reply
More about team thgc folding home
  1. Signed in !

Mobile Barton 2500+ @ 2.5GHz (217MHz x 11.5)
    Abit NF7-S V2.0
    2x 512MB of Samsung TCC4
    Sapphire Radeon 9700 128MB @ 360/310
    2x Maxtor 40GB 7200RPM RAID-0
  2. Me2
  3. im doing it

-------
    <A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
    Brand name whores are stupid!
  4. what is folding@home?

Watch out for the <b><font color=red>bloody</font color=red></b> Fanboys!

AMD64 2800+ :: MSI Neo-Fis2r :: 1024mb Kingmax ddr400 :: Sapphire 9800pro 128mb :: 10K WD Raptor

Addicted, finally.
  5. Click the <A HREF="http://folding.stanford.edu/" target="_new">Clickie</A> and read the <A HREF="http://folding.stanford.edu/science.html" target="_new">FAQ</A>...

Abit NF7-S V2.0
    2x 512MB of Samsung TCC4
  6. I joined last night before going to bed. I noticed there are actually 2 Tom's Hardware teams - This one and a "Toms Hardware FR" or something (France? no idea)...

Wonder how we'll get on?

---
    Epox 8RDA+ V1.1 w/ Custom NB HS
    XP1700+ @200x10 (~2Ghz), 1.4 Vcore
    2x256Mb Corsair PC3200LL/1x512Mb Corsair XMS PC4000 2.5-3-3-7
    Sapphire 9800Pro (VGA Silencer Rev3) @418/742
  7. Yay! I've been waiting for this for ages, since I used to be part of the Overclockers.com team. You can count my A64 power in there.
  8. yeah there the .fr team. but thats not us. we are the community.
    I ve put this on my work comp too, which runs 24/7 :smile:

Also, these can be used to test computer stability. If you OC your computer you can let this run for a few days (1-2 Work units) and if that works out, ur OC is stable. Actually this is where i came to know abt folding@home - thru OCing articles. You can change the config settingd to use 100% CPU. Its like prime95 for CPU and a bit graphics(with a more practical purpose).

Graphics - yes for that too, read abt it intheor FAQ - protein reconstruction uses GPU cycles.

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/Fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue:
  9. Sounds like fun, count me in.

<i>Cigarettes - No cholesterol, high in fiber, low in fat, how could they not be good for you?</i>
  10. heya Priya;

If folding@home will run on BOINC you can count me in.
  11. Woot my post was deleted!

Click <font color=blue><A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">HERE</A></font color=blue> if you real<b>l</b>y are an <font color=red>idiot</font color=red>.
  12. Your post is in the graphics card forum.

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.
  13. Ahhh you screwed my head!!!

Click <font color=blue><A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">HERE</A></font color=blue> if you real<b>l</b>y are an <font color=red>idiot</font color=red>.
  14. Come on guys ! I am doing most of the folding !

Abit NF7-S V2.0
    2x 512MB of Samsung TCC4
  15. my WUs are large like 400 frames and ~16K molecules. will take a few days befoer i get like 200 points !

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/Fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue:
  16. For those lucky users with dual-processor machines or rigs with hyperthreaded P4s, you can run two instances of the Console version simultaneously. It's rather involved, but well worth it to see both of your CPUs (or both of your virtual CPUs) being utilized to their fullest. These instructions assume you are running Win2K Pro or XP Pro.

1) First, create two separate directories and dump FAH3Console.exe in each one.

2) Then, you're going to have to make a shortcut to each FAH3Console.exe. Paste the Shortcuts into the C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersStart MenuProgramsStartup folder so that both FAH consoles will startup every time the system boots up.

3) Right click on each shortcut you've created. You'll see the "Target" line: "C:Program Filesetc.etc.FAH3Console.exe"

Now, you MUST add the -local flag in the shortcut, just like in games to get console.

4) Now, you're almost set. Double click on one of the shortcuts you created. The first time you do, you'll be asked to configure FAH. Aside from your username and Team No. (select team No. 40051 for Team THGC), one of the configuration options is to set the Machine ID for the first FAH3Console.exe program to "1" (when you get to the point where we run the second FAH3Console.exe, you'll need to set the second one's Machine ID to "2").

5) Now that one instance of FAH is up and running, go into your task manager and hit the "processes" tab. You'll see FAH3Console.exe there. Right click on it and choose "Set Affinity" and set it for CPU 0 only (uncheck CPU 1). You'll also see FAHCore_xx.exe running. Set that for CPU 0 too.

6) Now you're ready to run the second console (again, launch it by clicking on your second created shortcut). When you configure it, set it for a different machine ID ("2").

7) In take manager, you'll set the Affinity for your second instance of FAH3Console.exe for CPU 1. Now, this will be tricky as you'll see two FAH3Console.exe's running. You can check which one is the first one by checking the affinity. The new one will have both CPU 0 and 1 checked, while the first one was just set to CPU 0.

8) Do the same thing with the second FAHCore_xx.exe. Set it to CPU 1 only.

9) Now you're running two instances of FAH, and they are taking full advantage of your processors.

10) As long as you don't close out the Console programs, they'll remember their affinity. If you close them, or restart or reboot your computer, you'll need to go back and set the affinity again.

17. hmm... Not doing too badly for a new team that's only been going a few days, and only has 5 people so far.. Ranked 8079 of 33689.

<font color=red><b>Come on guys, let's get into the top 1000 at least!</b></font color=red>

[/sad elitist technology bigot]

---
  18. Ah...too bad I'm not on my "good" computer. The hard drive is out on my computer with mobile 2500+. Right now I'm on a 2000+.

<font color=blue>AthlonXP-M 2500+(12x200)</font color=blue>|<font color=green>Abit NF7-S</font color=green>|<font color=red>Kingston DDR400 2x256Mb</font color=red>|<font color=purple>NEC Accucync90 19"</font color=purple>|<font color=black>Sapphire 9600XT</font color=black>
  19. Who is Cow-Man? Not seen him on here, but he's suddenly at the top of the team... He wasn't there 10 minutes ago.. :eek:

---
  20. No kidding on those large work units. Crapola. They better make with the points on these. :smile:

<i>Cigarettes - No cholesterol, high in fiber, low in fat, how could they not be good for you?</i>
  21. Shameless bumb until we get this thread stickied !

Abit NF7-S V2.0
    2x 512MB of Samsung TCC4
  22. I've been folding for almost 1 day, still another before a WU credited. 24-7 here, ya hear.
    Genetic Mutations and beyond.

Now *I* am number 1. Nobody will catch me, I repeat, NOBODY will catch me. Not you overclocking girlie men, not you little gamerboys, not anyone.
    [/end trash talking]
    :lol:

24. Nice dude, glad you guys decided to join the folding@home community. You can check out your team's progress at <A HREF="http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com" target="_new">http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com</A> ... once it enters the top 2000 that is. My own personal team is ranked 1086 with a Points 24hr Average of 717. In order to compete with the best you guys are going to need something like a >50K+ average. Good luck!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:
  25. Yeah, well right now we're averaging a rank climb of a few thousand places a day, so fear that. :lol:

26. Just joined the team. My Athlon64 will be pumpin' for the team!

"Go forward until the last round is fired and the last drop of gas is expended...then go forward on foot!" -Patton
  27. *bump* I joined... but isn´t there somewhere (read: companies) that will pay you for XX amount of cycles done a month? :)

Abit IS7 - P4E3.0@3.45- i865PE - 1024mb dual ddr400 - Leadtek 6800 128mb@380/850 - 600W dualfan(front/rear) PowerTek Psu - maxtor 4K080H4 & 6Y120P0 - samsung sm-352b
  28. My first 2 were like 2500 frames...now this is (at least) my second 400. Thing is, it says I still haven't finished a WU...wtf?

EDIT: NVM, checked online, I've finished twelve (wtf to that too...way more than anybody else, but still 5th in points).

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Vapor on 10/14/04 10:12 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
  29. I don't get the work unit thing... I had 125, then 1000....

Strange. Still, at least my score's improving....

I'm running it on 3 PCs now:
    P4 2.8C
    Duron 1.4Ghz
    Da Rig in Da sig.

---
  30. Vapor,

From what I can gather, there are two types of work units, Tinker and Gromacs. They seem to have widely different slices. It seems like, and I could be wrong as I have a small sample so far, that the Tinker units come in the 200-400 range and the Gromacs comes in the thousands.

Also, within each of these work units, some require more work than others. Sounds like you got a bunch of small ones before and now you have a big one.

I was tripping off this too. I'm used to getting 2.5 hour/wu in Seti. Now these are taking 24hours or more.

31. hey... using 3 PCs seems to help! :smile:

Come on guys, catch up.... :wink:

---
  32. Bastage! I must reclaim first... :lol:

33. I'll be done folding a 320 point p1308 in a few minutes, that will make me king of the hill... for how long ?

Abit NF7-S V2.0
    2x 512MB of Samsung TCC4
  34. Long enough for me to pass you by so fast, the turbulance generated will disrupt the airflow in your cooling system and cause your processor to overheat...

35. I've decided to help myself a little...

I must update my sig. :wink:

---
  36. Now it's getting colder, ambient temps are way lower...
    CPU now 49C (Folding)
    System 25C. (Window open. :smile: )

---
    XP1700+ @205x11 (~2255Mhz), 1.6 Vcore
  37. Go ahead, make my day !

That's one hell of a butterfly effect, in fact, you'll probably need to find a lepidoptere with the wingspan of a 747 first =)

In the meantime, I'll be done folding a p1125 in 24h, those are worth 241 a pop !

Abit NF7-S V2.0
    2x 512MB of Samsung TCC4
  38. Wow, google is one heck of an absurdly powerful team.

Google is great anyway. :smile:

It's simple. They offer 1GB of free storage and I love them for it. Don't care about privacy; they might as well record all my personal interests in a computer robot anyway. Anyone seriously interested in doing so would be able to anyway.
  39. Just so you guys know, it seems like FAH is having an issue WorkUnit counts being upated today. I sent one in, much earlier today and though the count has been updated, mine hasn't, but my processor count has, which shouldn't be possible. A few others have been having problems on their message boards. thought I'd mention it in case someone here starts wondering.

40. I got an answer to what happened, so I'm going to share it for everyone new to this as I am. If your client can't connect to the server which it got the WU from, it will go into a collection server. You will then need to wait until it makes it's way back to the original server before you're given your points. So be expecting it, it can happen.

41. google have put the F@H client in theor toolbar. So people using the toolbar are contributing, but from googles side. Besides google uses clusters for searching and all must be doing folding in spare time.

42. We're in the top 5000. We're averaging 777 points a day. Good omen? Sjonnie, I thought you were part of another team? Not that I'm complaining at all. I hope you stay with us.

<i>Nemo me impune lacesset</i>
  43. My F@H keeps on going and going and going....

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue:
  44. Some of these are real hardcore. One thing I've noticed, is this client seems a lot nicer to have running in the background than Seti's. I still have to stop it for big compiles, but I can do basic things pretty well with minimal impact on system performance. I have it running on both my procs and on my wifes XP machine.

45. We're now in the top 4000, averaging 1250 points a day. Anyone out there not doing this, just join us. You don't got to leave your system on all the time, just contribute what you can. Download the screensaver.

46. I should share this... Last night, I decided to give an overclock a try to see if it could speed things up. I'm trying to stay ahead of Sjonnie, but that's proving difficult. Anyways, I oc'd to what I previously thought was relatively stable, which is 2.35 ghz(opteron 248, stock 2.2). Well, one unit I was working on, had been 25% done before I restarted to change the clock. When I launched it, I got a message about simulation unstable, and then it ended the work unit, and sent it in incomplete. It tried to download another one, and failed on that.

If you're going to try to OC for this, do it right after you've finished a WU.

47. if u notice it does some kinda bencmarking before it starts/continues with WU. Can the problem lie there ?

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue:
  48. I am in!

49. It didn't look like it got hosed there. It looked it got hosed when trying to pickup the work where it left off. Though that could be affecting it on another level.

I'm just going to be happy with what I got. With 2 instances running, my system is still very useable. I really can't complain.

Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Hardware Font