socket LGA775??

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LGA775 is the new, fragile socket Prescotts are starting to use.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
actually, as far as I know, its fragility is a myth. Many reviewers have repeatedly stated that that is not an issue, as long as you take minimal precautions.

You can switch processors like 15 times before anything goes awry. And who'd want to switch processors so often?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I write reviews, I switch parts often.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
Have ou tried the Socket T?
If your experienced and carefull, could you not switch processor 50X or 100?
If your not carefull, any socket or slot can be screwed up on 1 install.

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Well... for me, it doesn't really matter.

I mean, if you're not careful, you'll bend the pins on a regular A64 as well. And for the average user, the motherboard is cheaper than the processor; so if something breaks, it better be the cheaper component.... just my thoughts here.

Socket T fragility is beside the point. The problem with it is that it doesn't feature a more performance-oriented memory system and none of the processors available for it are actually impressive. I'd have absolutely <i>no</i> problem with the fact that it's socket T, if there was anything to it in terms of performance. As is, the platform does even have some interesting features, like PCIe and possibly azalia, but the performance deficiencies and the lack of NX and x86-64 more than make up for those advantages.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Mephistopheles on 10/11/04 03:46 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm never carefull and haven't screwed up any traditional pins yet.

RichPLS

Champion
I'm moderately carefull, but I have bent a few pins before (none in about 2 years), but were able to straighten them.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The only times I've bent pins have been when I dropped the CPU. Yes, I bent them back. I don't want to have to "be carefull" in the future when installing parts as I've never had to "be carefull" before.

endyen

Splendid
Carefull has nothing to do with it really. It's just a stupid idea, by intel for intel, and screw everyone else.
As an iterface for a chip at high speed, and temp, the reduced contact surface is idiotic.

sonoran

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2002
So I'm curious - how many LGA775 boards have you seen damaged due to this "fragile socket"? I see "bent pins" posts once in a while, but a 6 month search of THG forums doesn't show a single post about a damaged LGA775 socket.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't own any LGS775 boards, but I've seen several reviewers post pictures of bent pins, which interfere with their function.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You are more likely to bend pins handling a raw CPU than to remove the LGA cover and shove your finger in the socket intentionally bending pins.

If you mishandle it and screw it up its your own fault. There are precautions in place to prevent accidental damage.

As far as reviewers bending pins, I am sure that they have bent more pins on FC/PGA that we will ever know about.

<A HREF="http://www.xtremesystems.org" target="_new">www.xtremesystems.org</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
So what basically happens is that when a technician is so clumsy he can't make money in the field (too many broken parts), he becomes a reviewer so he can get parts free?