Sign in with
Your question
Solved

A retired professional gamer needs LCD monitor help:

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
September 5, 2011 9:59:57 PM

I once was a long time professional counter-strike player--whom has recently started playing games again and still cannot accept sub-par performance among computer parts--and I am taking a leap of faith from an old Professional series Viewsonic P95+ to some sort of flat panel display. I bought a 40" LCD TV two black Friday's ago and fell in love with having: a large TV to watch TV shows, movies, and especially play games (a full field of vision to play with is astonishing).

There are two problems in this situation; one being that the TV is now the main cable TV\Media center in the living room; secondly, I did not experience the same quick "refresh rate" that my CRT gave me. I understand that CRT and LCD technology work differently, but I want the same responsive, quick, and smooth looking appearance that my CRT delivers at high FPS, i.e., a similar feel to a 100hz-160hz refresh rate on my CRT.

Ultimately, I am looking for a LCD monitor that can satisfy these requirements--larger is preferable for bedroom movie and TV watching, but as a poor college student I do not have to liberty to purchase anything I wish to--so I would be looking in the 24" to 32" range; basically I am looking to satisfy girlfriend; all while treating myself to a display that will appease and hopefully exhilarate the gamer inside me.
September 5, 2011 11:24:16 PM

Thinking in retrospect, I believe I should highlight the important factors to me:

1. 1080p 16:9 resolution is suitable; I do not need more than that.

2. A screen that would be easily viewable across a 13'x'11 foot bedroom in terms of size.

3. A refresh rate or latency rate that would be comparable to my old CRT with a vsync of 100hz-160hz (if there is any fps gamer out there that has been through the same transition or that has experience relevant to what I am talking about I would be much obliged). I have a feeling I am looking for a 2ms-5ms LCD display, but I have yet to try one to be able to tell for myself. If I am misunderstanding refresh rates or vertical sync rates, I simply am looking for what will feel close to "the same" as what I had with a high quality CRT.

I have done a fair amount of research, but my venture into the new technology, haha, yes past CRT displays, is remedial. I was on my way to purchase a 120hz-240hz LCD TV display, but after discovering input lag and gaming; as well as how LCD technology works to display images, I realized that I am far out of the loop. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
m
l
September 6, 2011 6:22:33 AM

Spent all day trying to find what I was looking for and found it. http://www.viewsonic.com/products/v3d245.htm
Apparently 3D LED monitors are the true way to go for someone looking for the crisp and responsiveness of 120hz vertical refresh rates while in 2D (while in 3D it has to divide the hz to display two images and the reasoning for 120hz is mostly for 60hz while in 3D mode). I found it for around $500. Could anyone point me in the direction of a monitor similar to this in a cheaper price range?
m
l
Related resources
a b x TV
September 6, 2011 1:31:28 PM

keep in mind that when you go with 120hz or low response times (1-5ms) you are getting a tn panel. most of these panels have horrible viewing angles (at 5-10 degrees off center you can get "greyouts" or "inverted colors".

in my opinion current gen 60hz panels do just fine with fps gaming. i used to use an older 20" vp201b 60hz lcd and it performed beautifully. currently i'm using a 40" sonybravia 60hz and while the screen is a bit overwhelming for fps it still works great.

i don't play the amount of fps games now that i used to but i was rather good. screen jerking & twitch firing were absolutely no issue. from what i could tell the screens performed flawlessly.

personally i will accept nothing less than a 8-bit IPS panel as the viewing angle and color quality are superb. on a budget i often suggest 6-bit e-ips screens because of the excellent viewing angles. both are 60hz only. also i'm not sure how large a screen they come in... at least 24 to 26 i know.

keep in mind that unless you are running at 120fps or over then a 120hz screen is absolutely worthless. looking at the specs for most modern games, quite a few games even run at less than 60-70fps upon launch unless you are packings serious hardware.

if you're viewing across the room you will probably want a 30 or 32 inch screen. 24 or 26 is too small (in my opinion) if you're over 6-7 feet away.

---

just a few thoughts i threw together... take them with a grain of salt.

personally if i were you and had the requirements of "fps gaming" and "movie watching" from a distance of "11 to 13 feet" i'd get a 32" or 40" sony bravia in a heartbeat. you can most likely pick up older non 120 hz models (if you can find them) for a discounted price.

if you're on a strict budget you have to conceed on a few things. in this case i think getting a bigger screen will be best (or watching movies will be rather painful across the room!)
m
l
September 18, 2011 6:32:44 AM

I have to admit, at this point of playing fps games I have become so finicky with my gaming preferences that even if I play casually, I really must play with a 100+hz refresh rate. I might have to find a location that has a monitor like one of these to see if they do have problems with the viewing angles, but could you answer what it means if they say that it has a 170º horizontal, 160º vertical view angle?
m
l

Best solution

a b x TV
September 18, 2011 5:53:23 PM

The stated viewing angles of 170º horizontal, 160º vertical virtually means nothing. That basically tells me based on that spec alone the monitor uses a TN panel. IPS and VA panels are generally stated as having 178º horizontal, 178º vertical; again it virtually means nothing.

Basically, the more off center you are the more colors will start to shift, fade, and in some cases for TN panels invert. IPS and VA panels do not shift as dramatically as TN panels and the fading of colors are not as severe; these panels do not invert colors at high angles.

The best thing to do is go to a computer store like Best Buy and look at the monitor on display. With the exception of large Apple monitors, they will all use TN panels. View the monitors from different angles left and right, tilt the monitor up and down to get a feel for viewing angles. Not all TN panel monitors will have the same characteristics since there are many different TN panel manufacturers using slightly different materials and fabrication processes.
September 19, 2011 5:10:29 AM

Thanks for your responses, it helped me from going on a whim and buying something that may not even serve the purpose I wanted it to serve. I'm thinking unless it seems to not have the problems with viewing angles, I would have been very frustrated with my purchase.
m
l
September 19, 2011 5:10:58 AM

Best answer selected by doitonlan.
m
l
a b x TV
September 19, 2011 3:36:04 PM

@op

on old crt style monitors i could understand running at a high refresh rate due to flicker, but on lcd monitors i havent had an issue at 60hz. all i'm saying is that if you go for a 120hz monitor you're going to get a tn panel which isnt as nice as the other options available. completely up to you which you prefer.

you can view any monitor at any angle but as jag said, tn panels tend to "color shift" or "invert". i can view my ips panels at the sharpest angle possible, maybe maybe at a 89 degree angle perpendicular to the screen and still have the image look virtually perfect in terms of color. some of the more expensive 60hz lcds use s-ips panels in them. i know the sony bravia i have does. i belive that the 120/240hz newer ones do not but i havent really looked into it.
m
l
!