Was the Palm VII ahead of its time?

December 22, 2004 12:13:19 PM

I've played with the VII and know I own a VIIx. I keep on thinking
about buying a color device, but at the same time I keep on hearing
horrow stories with the internal batteries of newer units. One friend
told me that his internal battery burned out after 2 years, and another
said that after a year he's noticed a huge decline in battery
performance. I showed them my alkaline based VIIX and in some ways they
both wished they would have got an alkaline unit, despite the color and
multiemdia of newer units. Newer units are worthless if they die in a
year, and where would the color and multimedia be then? Palm wants to
charge a arm and a leg to fix battery problems, so most just buy a new
Palm. So as you can understand I will pass until Palm makes the units
with replaceable LION batteries, like what many PocketPC companies are
already doing. But in doing this Palm might lose money,

Okay the Palm VII, VIIX and i705 were units that offered access to the
Internet from nearly anywhere in the country. Yes I know if you live
in Alaska or Montana you did not get service. I am sorry I cant feel
for you, as I used the Palm in California, Florida, Alabamba,
Mississippi, Louisanna, Oregon and Nevada and it worked well in these
states except in very rural areas. But I always watched my Palm and
cell phone, and often they connected in the same areas. This is
something that wifi units can never do. I've read about a new
technology to repalce wifi that will allow Internet access from
anywhere in the country from a PDA, or laptop, but I cant remember the
name at this time.

The wireles Palm Pilots offered Internet access in such a manor. The
Palm failed because people wanted web browsing, but when Palm released
the unit they said that web browsing would be way too slow on such a
unit and would not be pleasable on such a screen. People did not
listen..... Honestly I'd rather use a device with web clipping over
web browsing when on the road. The i705 offered browsing and clipping
yet also failed. I hear these newer units are PDA's and cell phones
and can do web clipping, is this correct? The only problem I can
forsee is the blasted screen size. The VII series offered a huge
screen display.

I can forsee a day when every PDA sold will be able to connect to the
Internet wirelessly from anywhere (not wifi). When this happens 5-10
years from know people will once again remember the unit that
introduced this and it was the Palm VII.

John

More about : palm vii ahead time

Anonymous
December 22, 2004 10:28:47 PM

In article <1103735599.331998.318250@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
johnw_94020@yahoo.com wrote:

> I can forsee a day when every PDA sold will be able to connect to the
> Internet wirelessly from anywhere (not wifi). When this happens 5-10
> years from know people will once again remember the unit that
> introduced this and it was the Palm VII.

One word: smartphone.
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 10:28:48 PM

It was a time of great turmoil. The strong preyed on the weak, dogs
and cats lived together. One voice cried out in the wilderness:
guy@ether.net (Guy Bannis) wrote in
<guy-2212041128490001@192.168.1.100>:

> In article <1103735599.331998.318250@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> johnw_94020@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > I can forsee a day when every PDA sold will be able to connect to the
> > Internet wirelessly from anywhere (not wifi). When this happens 5-10
> > years from know people will once again remember the unit that
> > introduced this and it was the Palm VII.
>
> One word: smartphone.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

A Treo 270 user waiting anxiously for the 650 to come out.
--
Roberto Castillo
robertocastillo@ameritech.net

johnw_94020@yahoo.com wrote:
>Palm failed because people wanted web browsing

Palm failed because the business model of selling people internet
access for $50/month doesn't garner enough customers to make a profit.
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 3:34:11 AM

johnw_94020@yahoo.com wrote:

>One friend told me that his internal battery burned out after 2 years,

2 to 3 years is the normal life of a Li-ion battery whether in a PDA or a phone.

>they both wished they would have got an alkaline unit,

Trouble is they don't make alkaline units anymore.

>I will pass until Palm makes the units with replaceable LION batteries,

Amen. A replaceable battery would be a great PalmOne improvement.
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 6:33:47 AM

In article <eg6ks0t51ce4ga4uba5mi15tp46pqnujvs@4ax.com>, William P.N.
Smith wrote:

> johnw_94020@yahoo.com wrote:
> >Palm failed because people wanted web browsing
>
> Palm failed because the business model of selling people internet
> access for $50/month doesn't garner enough customers to make a profit.

The market was far, far different back in the Palm VII's heyday.

How much does Web access cost these days for an average usage?
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 12:32:05 PM

In article <guy-2212041933480001@192.168.1.100>,
guy@ether.net (Guy Bannis) wrote:

> In article <eg6ks0t51ce4ga4uba5mi15tp46pqnujvs@4ax.com>, William P.N.
> Smith wrote:
>
> > johnw_94020@yahoo.com wrote:
> > >Palm failed because people wanted web browsing
> >
> > Palm failed because the business model of selling people internet
> > access for $50/month doesn't garner enough customers to make a profit.
>
> The market was far, far different back in the Palm VII's heyday.
>
> How much does Web access cost these days for an average usage?

I access the web for free on my kyocera 7135 cause Verizon lets you get
access just for minutes.

The problem with many great ideas is that greed creates a pricing plan
that frustrates success. If the service were so cheap -- everyone would
go for it and they'd make money both in volume and in being the biggest
one on the block.

harlan

--
To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?
Anonymous

In article <hlachman-0D689F.09320523122004@news.isp.giganews.com>, Harlan
Lachman <hlachman@nospamadelphia.net> wrote:

> I access the web for free on my kyocera 7135 cause Verizon lets you get
> access just for minutes.

Are those minutes free, or are you saying they're part of your calling plan?

> The problem with many great ideas is that greed creates a pricing plan
> that frustrates success. If the service were so cheap -- everyone would
> go for it and they'd make money both in volume and in being the biggest
> one on the block.

Is this like the adage, "I lose money on every sale but I make it up in volume"?
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 12:20:02 PM

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 00:34:11 GMT, AaronJ <noemail@noemail.com> wrote:

>johnw_94020@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>>One friend told me that his internal battery burned out after 2 years,
>
>2 to 3 years is the normal life of a Li-ion battery whether in a PDA or a phone.
>
>>they both wished they would have got an alkaline unit,
>
>Trouble is they don't make alkaline units anymore.
>
>>I will pass until Palm makes the units with replaceable LION batteries,
>
>Amen. A replaceable battery would be a great PalmOne improvement.

The Treo 650 has a replaceable, rechargeable battery. Yes, it is
a very good idea. Unfortunately, my provider (Telus in Ontario,
Canada) does not sell the Treo 650.

--
The Moving Target: mobile information technology
http://www.pathcom.com/~jimomura/

On 22 Dec 2004 09:13:19 -0800, johnw_94020@yahoo.com wrote:

>I've played with the VII and know I own a VIIx. I keep on thinking
>about buying a color device, but at the same time I keep on hearing
>horrow stories with the internal batteries of newer units.

You would probably benefit from reading the aged, cob-webbed and partially
outdated but still useful FAQs I wrote on this subject:

http://palmwireless.cjb.net
http://celdata.cjb.net

>One friend told me that his internal battery burned out after 2 years, and another
>said that after a year he's noticed a huge decline in battery performance.

A reset-in-cradle often solves creeping recharge failures. One issue
causing this problem is the recharging controller within the Palm has lost
track where the battery is in its charge cycle, as Li-ion batteries are
much more fussy about charge cycles than Ni-Cd and Ni-MH batteries. DOing
a reset-in-cradle is said to solve this problem.

> I showed them my alkaline based VIIX and in some ways they
>both wished they would have got an alkaline unit, despite the color and
>multiemdia of newer units. Newer units are worthless if they die in a
>year, and where would the color and multimedia be then?

I've had my dub-ya (PalmOne Tungsten W, AKA the 'i710') for two years, and
it hasn't happened to me.

>Palm wants to charge a arm and a leg to fix battery problems, so most just buy a new
>Palm.

So? That's what manufacturers do. Web-order a replacement, and either
change it yourself of have your neighborhood ham or TV tech change it. You
don't take your car back to the spendy dealership service department every
time it needs a new battery, do you?

>So as you can understand I will pass until Palm makes the units
>with replaceable LION batteries,

Samsung's had swappable Li-Ion batteries in PalmPhones for three years.What
are you waiting for? Look at the SPH-i300, -i330 and -i500.

Also, the Treo 650, from P1 theyselves, meets your spec.

> like what many PocketPC companies are already doing.

Some PPC resellers so, some don't do this.

> But in doing this Palm might lose money,

Not likely. Li-ion is well-established tech now, and volume's up enouhg for
decent pricing.

>Okay the Palm VII, VIIX and i705 were units that offered access to the
>Internet from nearly anywhere in the country.

As Col. Potter usta say, 'MULEFEATHERS!'.

The Mobitex system which Sevens ran on is urban-only. Go look at the
coverage map.

>Yes I know if you live in Alaska or Montana you did not get service. I am sorry I cant feel
>for you, as I used the Palm in California, Florida, Alabamba,
>Mississippi, Louisanna, Oregon and Nevada and it worked well in these
>states except in very rural areas.

I have _much_ better coverage with either my T-Mobile Palm Tungsten W or my
Sprint PCS Samsung SPH-i300 than I ever had with my VII or VIIx in Oregon,
Washington and Florida, in numerous non-rural areas.

>But I always watched my Palm and cell phone, and often they connected in the same areas. This is
>something that wifi units can never do. I've read about a new
>technology to repalce wifi that will allow Internet access from
>anywhere in the country from a PDA, or laptop, but I cant remember the
>name at this time.

'WiMax' also will be somewhat limited, when it exists. It doesn't, yet, not
officially, so no one's going to build it into a PDA for a while,
especially given power consumption requirements.

There are prototype deployments for desktops and notebook computers,
especially if you buy an external antenna/access point (one right here in
Portland I've covered), but no real, substantial coverage, and there won't
be for years.

>The wireles Palm Pilots offered Internet access in such a manor. The
>Palm failed because people wanted web browsing, but when Palm released
>the unit they said that web browsing would be way too slow on such a
>unit and would not be pleasable on such a screen. People did not
>listen..... Honestly I'd rather use a device with web clipping over
>web browsing when on the road. The i705 offered browsing and clipping
>yet also failed. I hear these newer units are PDA's and cell phones
>and can do web clipping, is this correct?

Web clipping is dead, deceased, an ex-service, pining for the fyords. P1
turned off the clipping proxy servers, and it's not working, hasn't for
months.

The aforementioned PalmPhones, and many other models, do allow browsing,
and you can use other proxy servers which work somewhat like clipping,
e.g., skweezer.net, or the Eudora text-only web browser
http://eudora.com/products/unsupported/internetsuite
and get reasonable throughput with 2G (CSD, numerous carriers) and 2.5G
(1xRTT, GPRS) cellular connections. Full-on browsing is slow as molasses,
but it's better than ignorance when you need info.

>The only problem I can forsee is the blasted screen size.
>The VII series offered a huge screen display.
<snip>

So? Get a T3, a T5 or a Zodiac, and use its Bluetooth connection to an EDGE
or 1EV-DO phone for speed.

--
John Bartley K7AAY http://celdata.cjb.net
This post quad-ROT-13 encrypted; reading it violates the DMCA.