Sign in with
Your question

Grrr! Processor Heat!

Last response: in CPUs
October 11, 2004 10:49:00 PM

I have had a AMD XP 2000+ processor for about a year now. Going to get another processor soon. (Probably a 2800)

Ok, my processor is running about 52 C average and kicks up to about 56 C when gaming. I know that is really no big deal. Over the years, I have learned to be a cool freak and have never really obtained the temps I like with this system.

Remember! I'm in graduate school. Not a lot of cash right now!

Now with a new processor in the future and wondering how to keep my heat down in the high forties.
How should this problem be attacked. My case fan is not the greatest and my case really does not allow much air flow if any from the front. I could install two fans in the front of the case but where they will get cool air is the question.

Buy a new case?
Buy all new case fans? (Including two for the front)
Buy a new processor fan for the 2800.

Or combination?

More about : grrr processor heat

October 11, 2004 10:51:22 PM

dont put on the side panel.

ASUS P4P800S-X
P IV 2,4 @ nothing caus this board doesn't OC for [-peep-]
2x512MB Corsair pc4000
120 maxtor SATA
Sapphire Radeon 9800pro 128mb
Watercooled
October 11, 2004 11:32:31 PM

Too much stinkin dust gets into the system withthe panel off.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bjpatrick on 10/11/04 07:32 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
Related resources
October 11, 2004 11:34:30 PM

Then clean your room son.

October 11, 2004 11:36:42 PM

Should I state that I'm using the stock AMD fan.
October 11, 2004 11:39:19 PM

Funny thing. Amd has always recommended a type of psu. These units have a large intake. that sucks all the hot air right off the chip. Add one of those to your system, and a Vantec aero-flow hsf, and you should be happy.
October 11, 2004 11:39:45 PM

The stock fan should be fine, as long as not o/c'g.
And two case fans, even cheap ones should provide enough air flow.
Is the processor seated correctly?

October 11, 2004 11:39:46 PM

The stock fan should be fine, as long as not o/c'g.
And two case fans, even cheap ones should provide enough air flow.
Is the processor seated correctly?

October 11, 2004 11:41:57 PM

I have built a couple of machines. I just follow the directions referencing seating the CPU. Cannot really see any other way of doing so.
October 13, 2004 4:06:00 PM

"How should this problem be attacked. My case fan is not the greatest and my case really does not allow much air flow if any from the front. I could install two fans in the front of the case but where they will get cool air is the question.

Buy a new case?
Buy all new case fans? (Including two for the front)"

You just answered your own question..how do you expected heated air to cool dow your cpu? need fresh air for that, not heated air.. you dont cool down yourself with a really hot shower doesnt it?

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
October 14, 2004 11:20:52 AM

is keeping the side panal off better than leaving it on? i thought that you would want that flow of air from the front to back and taking it off would disturb it
October 14, 2004 12:26:06 PM

Having the side panel off is better since you dont have any airflow in you case. I would just get a new case with room for fans. They are not that expensive.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
October 14, 2004 3:10:17 PM

I see a couple options...

1) new case with a little more cooling possibility. Can cost as little as $20.

2) Mod your case to give it more cooling.

New case is easy, so I'll suggest the do-it-yourself idea:

Get a drill with a big 3inch bit (the kind used to drill holes for doorknobs). 3inch=76mm just right for an 80mm fan. One you don't mind possibly ruining because you'll be drilling metal, not wood.

Drill a hole over the CPU on the side panel - or in the middle of the panel, may be a new discussion as to the best place to put it :)  - and 4 smaller holes in the appropriate positions around the main hole for the screws. Screw an 80mm fan there. You can also get a grill to protect the fan if you want it to look more professional.

I have a 1gig Athlon T-bird with 1 case fan (ps fan is dead and I lost my round tuit...) and that fan is on the side panel blowing in the middle of the case. Keeps everything nice cool enough - there's a constant airflow out the ps vent - warm, but still flowing - and CPU temps are still same as normal (about 50c) If it can do it all by itself, you should see good cooling coupling that with an exhaust fan or two...

Mike
October 14, 2004 3:29:03 PM

Quote:
Get a drill with a big 3inch bit

If you go to a hardware store ask for a "3-inch hole saw", all holesaws this large will be made for both wood and metal, mine was about $15, but I have used it a bunch, and it works great.

My Desktop: <A HREF="http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html" target="_new">http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html&lt;/A>
October 14, 2004 3:55:17 PM

Dammit fishmahn. Your going to make me do what I'm trying to avoid. Been thinking of this same idea for some time now. I was thinking of putting in a side fan and top fan.

If you want to start another thread about how to do this because I never have before. I'm for that!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bjpatrick on 10/14/04 11:56 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
October 14, 2004 5:08:44 PM

The best way to do it to make your own case. You can buy cases with decent air flow and cooling, but none can compare to one you could make. I just finish lapping my heatsink, and now in my new "custom" case my CPU temp is only 2° over idle temp after 2 hours of 100% CPU load. My GPU temps also dropped 10° at idle, when I switched cases. Hard drives also no longer feel warm to the touch.

Plus I always like stuff that build, better, it makes truely different.

My Desktop: <A HREF="http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html" target="_new">http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html&lt;/A>
October 14, 2004 5:18:06 PM

I have similar specs than yours, but with a 2800+ Barton and TT SilentBoost.

Idle 46~48, Load 53 - Winter
Idle 50~52, Load 57 - Summer

This is with the case panel open.. Closed, add 6ºC
The case is a LianLi PC-5 BTW, pretty much packed, the PSU is a Enermax with a fan one the bottom and one at the back... not very high-rpm stuff.

Everytime I removed the TT (lot of times), I re-aplied AS3.
Then I got fed up cleaning up the darn thing (cleaning AS3 is not very easy), and started using the generic white-gunk that came with the TT.
Then I got fed up with that too (after removing/reappying it so many times during my XP unlock attempts) that I just looked at it, see if there sufficient gunk, re-touched the stuff so that it would be concentrated on the middle of the CPU and TT, and squashed it using the TT.

Ya know what were diferences? Around 0ºc from AS3 to Whitey-gunk and around 1ºC from not applying-a-carefull-coat-of-thermalgunk.

So.. ok, I just kissed it all goodbye... as long I don't see it over 63s I don't worry anymore, what goes goes.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, but adding an intake fan and an exaust one to the case would be a good idea.

-- I did use to have a Signature line, but it was to lame, so I removed it and replaced by this crap --
October 14, 2004 5:30:42 PM

LOL, just do it - takes 5 min... ('course the same could be said of my replacing the PS on my tbird - I have a new one sitting on the chair right next to the desk... at least, I think that's where it is - there's other stuff on the chair right now too...)

If you have 2 fans already - The PS fan and another Fan (Is that one on the back panel right below the PS? - and is it an exhaust fan?) Assuming it is, and your case is pretty well sealed from the front and sides, then locate the open space in your system about the center of the side panel and put the hole for your new fan there.

It really is simple - the fan can either attach to a motherboard fan header (don't know if your mobo would have one or not though), or to a molex connector from your PS. Can get fans with both/either connection cheap.

Drill the 3inch hole in the spot you want the fan (centered to just forward of center probably sounds like the best spot to me but I'm not an airflow engineer). Place the fan over the hole and with a pen or pencil, mark the 4 spots to drill the 4 screw holes.

Screw the fan in (on the inside so it doesn't stick out - although out would probably work too, in would look better). Can probably get a chrome/stainless steel grid to go over the hole so you dont' snap the fan blades with a finger or pen or... Plug it into the power source and close it up.

I wouldn't put a hole in the top unless you are using it as an exhaust. I use my case as a flat surface for 'stuff' all the time, and a hole on top would just get covered up (or mess up my piles when they blow off onto the floor). Besides, it sounds to me like you really need air intake not exhaust.

Mike.
October 15, 2004 12:19:00 AM

im still confused about leaving the panal off. y would you want no air flow this to me doesnt make ne sense could someone plz elaborate
October 15, 2004 1:23:59 AM

It's very simple. Thermals cause airflow, generally upward. With the side off, the heat goes around the top and out. Cooler air is naturally drawn in from the bottom. The air "inside" the case is almost the same temps as the air room temp.
All the same, it's a bad idea if you have pets, kids, rodents, or clumsy humans about.
October 15, 2004 9:27:53 PM

Ok, I figured out what to do. Place 120mm fans in both the side and top of my case. Now the question is. Where can I get fan guards from? I prefer to buy from newegg if I can but cannot find any guards on their site.

(If I have to go with 80mm fans. Then that is life)
October 15, 2004 10:10:41 PM

<A HREF="http:// www.directron.com " target="_new">http:// www.directron.com </A>

October 18, 2004 2:54:57 PM

My take on why leaving the side panel off aids temps:

2 basic concepts.

1) Like said before, it opens the airspace of the case to the rest of the room. While a metal case conducts heat well, it's still an insulator compared to air. Walking by, swinging your foot under the desk, etc., all create air currents, these currents stop at your closed case side panel. But they don't stop if the side panel is off, so it is constantly moving and displacing the heated air around the mobo/cpu/gpu. (additional to the thermal rise of the air warmed air.)

2) Cpu has a fan, right? It pulls air from the side (assuming a tower case and std HSF layout) and blows it horizontal to the mobo (deflection after passing thru the hs). If the side panel is off and there's poor airflow, it's recycling the same air inside the case never having a chance to conduct its heat elsewhere and cool off. With the side panel off, a good portion of the air the hsf sucks in is from outside the case area, creating it's own airflow current and using the cooler air from the rest of the room.

Mike
October 18, 2004 3:23:33 PM

Quote:
Where can I get fan guards from? I prefer to buy from newegg

Many fans come with the grilles, so check the listing carefully, it may come with them.

How are you cutting the holes for a 120mm fan? This is a large hole, and isn't going to use a hole saw that you can just go to the hardware store and pick up. If you went down to a standard 80 mm fan, you can find a hole saw anywhere.

Might check <A HREF="http://www.coolerguys.com/" target="_new">http://www.coolerguys.com/&lt;/A>, they normally have fans for a couple of dollars, and I have ordered from them in the past, many times, can only say good stuff about them. CoolerGuys will deffaintly have grilles for any size fan.

October 18, 2004 3:43:58 PM

Using a dremel tool.
October 18, 2004 3:49:41 PM

yeah, a dental drill works great.