TAF-Replacement of flipper assembly, causing resets

Hi folks,

I am replacing all of the flipper assemblies on my recently purchased
TAF, and I started with the lower right. I labled each of the 3 wires
on the coil and the two wires on the EOS to ensure I soldered them back
on in the right order.

when I start a game, as soon as I press the right flipper, the game
resets. happens everytime.

I thought doing a full assembly replacement would be MUCH easier and
safer than a rebuild!

what did I do wrong?

thanks!

incidentally, I checked the repair manual I have, which gives the
wiring colors in the order they are attached to the lower right flipper
coil, and I have them in the correct order...

Adi

Well, you might have done nothing wrong from what little description
you posted. Most probably your resets were not caused by flipper
assemblies. It is either a low wall voltage problem (check with
multimeter), or a board problem or a combination of both or maybe
something entirely different.

Go here for a very thorough and methodical approach to a very common
reset problem on WPC Bally/Williams machines of the 1990es -
http://www.marvin3m.com/wpc/index2.htm#reset.

These machines are now pushing almost 15 years of age, and this will
become all too more common in the future. Together with GI burnt
connectors and failing display boards.

Adi
www.txpinball.com

jjordan5@columbus.rr.com wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I am replacing all of the flipper assemblies on my recently purchased
> TAF, and I started with the lower right. I labled each of the 3 wires
> on the coil and the two wires on the EOS to ensure I soldered them back
> on in the right order.
>
> when I start a game, as soon as I press the right flipper, the game
> resets. happens everytime.
>
> I thought doing a full assembly replacement would be MUCH easier and
> safer than a rebuild!
>
> what did I do wrong?
>
> thanks!

I remember a similar prob i fixed on a TZ but i can't recall what was
the prob. Anyway triple check the wiring and also check if the diodes
are installed correctly. BTW if you're dumping your old flipper mechs
could you throw 'em my way? i'll pay postage.

Try swapping left and right flipper coils and see if the problem moves.
Maybe bad coil or diodes. LTG :)

<jjordan5@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> Hi folks,
>
> I am replacing all of the flipper assemblies on my recently purchased
> TAF, and I started with the lower right. I labled each of the 3 wires
> on the coil and the two wires on the EOS to ensure I soldered them back
> on in the right order.
>
> when I start a game, as soon as I press the right flipper, the game
> resets. happens everytime.
>
> I thought doing a full assembly replacement would be MUCH easier and
> safer than a rebuild!
>
> what did I do wrong?
>
> thanks!

got it taken care of. my new flipper set ups all have the solder
connections at the end OPPOSITE of the coil stop, which is where they
should be from what I read. the wires on the originals I am taking
off have the solder connections on the other end.

bottom line, I reversed the two out side wires on each new coil and
everything is fine now.

thanks folks!