Need help choosing 27'' monitor+TV

zakarun

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
I'm looking into buying a new 27'' monitor/TV. Is having a resolution of 1920x1080 on such a big monitor that bad? The 2560x1440 ones are at least twice the price.

My thoughts are that for such a large monitor, you won't be playing from 20cm away anyway, so the lower rez wouldn't bother you that much, and for watching TV and movies, well I'm going to do that while laying in bed about 2 meters away, so big pixels will really not be a problem.

My friend on the other hand says that on such a big monitor, this resolution will make the pixels look huge and you'll notice them too much.

Maybe someone already bought a 27'' monitor+TV with 1920x1080 resolution and they could post their opinions on them here.

Big thanks in advance.

Basically what I mean is, I could buy this right now:

http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/office/monitors/lcd/LS27EMNKUY/ZC/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail

or I could wait a couple of months, and buy this (but imo it's a waste of cash for my needs):

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&sku=224-8284&redirect=1

barneskd

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
I too was looking for a good 24"-27" monitor/HDTV and settled on the P2770HD as you have posted. To me, the 27" will benefit me more than a 24" because a) it is larger and therefore I will be able to watch tv/movies on it with greater ease, and b) in my line of work, large screen real-estate is key to productivity. The only thing I'm worried about is gaming, as 27 inches is quite a bit to keep track of when you are used to a 22" monitor.

I ordered it last night from newegg with my new build and it should be here by Thursday or Friday. If you haven't made up your mind by then, I'll reply back with my initial impressions and go/no-go.

barneskd

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Awesome! I'm tracking UPS vigorously and can't wait till mine gets here. Does it come with a DVI and/or HDMI cable? Have you tried both? If so, does picture quality differ between the two?

zakarun

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Come to think of it, the only cable I did find in the box was a VGA cable.... I had bought a 5meter dvi to dvi cable before so I used that. Haven't tried HDMI cable yet.

barneskd

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
VGA? That's disappointing. Newegg lists an HDMI cable in their "what's included" list and even shows it in the packaging pictures, so I hope they don't screw me over; I really don't feel like having to go buy another one.

TRENDING THREADS