jay_severin

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2002
If one was to buy an OS, what would be the better choice? I've been using windows since 95 and am familiar with them all. have been using xp for about 5 months, I like it. I'm buying a new computer and must choose and OS for my house now. I'm wondering if there is any reason NOT to choose 2000 over xp?

The only reason I have is that I just bought a 45 dollar book on XP so that when I get some time I can learn the ins and outs of the OS. The book might equally apply to 2000 though cuz they are so similiar. If I get 2000, is there any downside over XP pro? ie. programs wont work, peripheals not supported etc.

ps. with my student discount i can get Win xp pro, office xp pro and visual studio.net pro(I'm a computer engineering student so that is usefull) and a free 4 port usb hub for $399. I know that is a very good price, but Is it a good INVESTMENT, believe it or not thats alot of money right now and I don't want to have to spend another chunk of change in the next few years to buy another os and office suite.

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Classic question, classic response.

No matter what you do, it'll be good for a while, and then it'll be outdated faster than you'd like.

Some people have problems running older software on XP, but I've yet to have a single problem. I usually go 4-5 days between reboots (only cause I boot up linux now and then), and it's been great for me.

I'd take advantage of the deal if you are gonna make use of it. It's a good price for some good stuff.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I'd personally stick with 2k, ok theres not a LOT of diffrerences, except 2k is tried and tested, and IMO a lot more stable than xp, also xp has some networking probs, info about which you will find in the networking section of this board.
As for your book, a lot will apply. I cant commecnt on the deal you are looking at as im in UK and prices are different here, but whatever you do do, dont let a $20 hub sway your decision.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?