Your question

Reset the ink cartridge page counter on HP Photosmart Plus printer

Tags:
  • Printers
  • HP Photosmart
  • Peripherals
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
September 8, 2011 2:41:05 AM

How to reset the page counter chips in the ink carts on a HP Photosmart printer?

More about : reset ink cartridge page counter photosmart printer

September 8, 2011 7:38:50 PM

You can't, but some say that the printer only keeps track of the last two cartridge serial numbers, so if you have three and keep then rotated you are fine.
m
l
September 15, 2011 12:25:00 AM

There must be a way. "Cartridge World" who re-fills catridges does it.
The last several re-filled cartridges (black and color) I bought from them had the ink levels indicators reset.
Dave
m
l
Related resources
September 15, 2011 10:16:55 PM

Please reread my first post. This is only an issue if you try to refill your own cartridge, and it is moot if you purchase a refilled cartridge that has not yet been in your printer.
m
l
September 15, 2011 10:18:03 PM

In other words, when the printer sees a 'new' serial number it assumes it is a new cartridge.
m
l
September 15, 2011 10:28:04 PM

PhilFrisbie said:
In other words, when the printer sees a 'new' serial number it assumes it is a new cartridge.

Hi Phil,
OK on the diferent serial number. The next issue is: What if the next cart. is one that you have previously used? Does the printer see it as "NEW"????
Thanks,
Dave
m
l
September 17, 2011 9:45:40 PM

Reread my first post.
m
l
September 17, 2011 11:30:47 PM

Hi Phil,
I'm gonna just buy a different printer. I really haven't cared for HP units. I've had 2 of them.
I have been looking at a Lazer unit and it isn't that much more than the HP I have and I like the clearity of the print. I don't need color so, there ya go....
TNX,
Dave (Batwings)
m
l
September 19, 2011 8:08:16 PM

OK. I have owned six HP printers of various types over the last 12 years at home and work, and had very few problems with them.
m
l
September 19, 2011 8:44:56 PM

PhilFrisbie said:
OK. I have owned six HP printers of various types over the last 12 years at home and work, and had very few problems with them.

Hi Phil,
This is the first and last printer from HP that I will buy. The cartridge issue is the main reason. We have 3 EPSON printers and I can refill the ink and reset the level indicators (page counters). Having to keep running to town, (34 miles round trip) for a new cartridge(s) is for the birds.
The Laser Jet printer is looking better all the time and there are re-fill kits for them.
I hope HP changes their ways and re-designs the page counter(s) to be reset.
Dave
m
l
September 22, 2011 3:03:13 AM

We never buy a new cartridge except for the original. We just refill it in a refilling center. Just sharing.
l
September 22, 2011 8:04:36 PM

Hi all,
Our refill center is 34 miles round trip and with not getting the quanity of prints I was told I would get from Office Max where I dought it, this printer is NOT a very cost effective unit.
I'm just gonna write it up to a learning curve and get a better quality unit that can be refilled at home.
Thanks all,
Dave
m
l
October 2, 2011 1:27:16 AM

Hi all,
I have re-installed my EPSON printer and I have ordered a LASER JET.
The HP printer is going By-By....Never more, never more....
Dave
m
l
October 6, 2011 7:43:05 AM

HP I assume don't let you reset the counter as like anything the cartridges are subject to wear and tear giving them a limited lifespan?

You can buy both new and original cartridges online really cheap nowadays so in my mind that just makes more sense than refilling at home. HP actually sell their cartridges online at findmysupplies but at a lot lower prices than in the shops and there are plenty of places that sell refilled ones.
m
l
October 13, 2011 1:53:02 AM

chrisss1s said:
HP I assume don't let you reset the counter as like anything the cartridges are subject to wear and tear giving them a limited lifespan?

You can buy both new and original cartridges online really cheap nowadays so in my mind that just makes more sense than refilling at home. HP actually sell their cartridges online at findmysupplies but at a lot lower prices than in the shops and there are plenty of places that sell refilled ones.

I went to the site you recommonded and my cartrige numbers are not listed....Oh well! Back to the "Drawing Board".
Thanks anyway,
m
l
October 16, 2011 12:03:47 AM

I donated the printer to the Goodwill...Maybe someone who gets it will use it for a boat anchor or a door stop. I have ordered a Lazer printer which will be here in 2 weeks.
Thank's all for your input.
Dave
m
l
October 23, 2011 12:41:27 AM

Hi all,
3 days ago, my new Laser color printer arrived. It prints my documents better than I had expected. I purchased a Lexmark C734dn Color Laser Printer.
The quality of the printed documents is superior to ink jet and better than I had expected.
I'm finished with ink jet printers. Never more.
Dave
Dave
m
l
October 30, 2011 12:32:47 AM

End of subject!!!!
m
l
!