Status
Not open for further replies.

greenjellies

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
I bought a laptop with a little too much power than I wanted. I'm guessing most people here are gamers, or like a lot of oomph to their laptop, but I'm going off to college and I don't really use my computers for much more than word processing, internet, watching videos, and listening to music. Perhaps, once in a while, a little photoshopping.

I really like the build quality of the laptop, it's pretty solid. The keyboard has no flex nor does the screen, but I constantly hear the fan working and it gets warmer than I would expect. Perhaps, it's only because in the past, I've had a desktop, netbook, and an old 2001 Toshiba laptop. The reason I got it was because it seemed like a good deal, it was $899 - 266 (30% BCB) - $50 (MIR) = ~$566

Is there anyway I can minimize the power on it? I was going to try to underclock the CPU but the AMBios wouldn't let me.

My notebook specs:
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/ASUS-K42JC-A1-2.26GHz-Core-i5-i5-430M-14-in-Laptop-w-50.00-MIR/4843325/product.html
ASUS K42JC-A1
# Processor Type: Core i5
# Processor Model: i5-430M
# Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
# Processor Core: Dual-core
# Standard Memory: 4 GB
# Maximum Memory: 8 GB
# Memory Technology: DDR3 SDRAM
# Memory Standard: DDR3-1066/PC3-8500
# Hard Drive Capacity: 500 GB
# Solid State Drive Capacity: Not Included
# Optical Drive Type: DVD-Writer
# Optical Media Support: DVD-RAM/¿R/¿RW
# Screen Size: 14"
# Graphic Mode: WXGA
# Display Screen Type: Active Matrix TFT Color LCD
# Backlight Technology: LED
# Widescreen: Yes
# Graphics Controller Manufacturer: nVIDIA
# Graphics Controller Model: GeForce 310M
# Graphics Memory Capacity: 1 GB
# Network Technology: Ethernet
# Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium x64

This is a rare thread indeed. I've rarely seen posters saying that they have machine with too much power;) Anyways, if you are concerned about the fan noise, there isn't a whole lot that you can do, at least in terms of adjusting it in the BIOS. Usually the BIOS is locked down like Fort Knox on most consumer grade laptops, so any chance of under clocking the CPU and adjusting the fans is moot. However, if you can ID the exact motherboard used in it, there is a chance that a program like Speed Fan can help you throttle back the fans a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.