Stiff keyboard

i have a mx 3200 logitech model and the keys are kinda stiff as in hard to press especially the arrow keys.
i need something to make it smooth when pressing the keys. is there anything that can do tat?
9 answers Last reply
More about stiff keyboard
  1. Is the keyboard new? If so then that is just the way it is, and the only solution if to buy a different one.

If it is not new try blowing the dust and food particles from under the keys with low pressure air. If that does not help then replace the keyboard.
  2. What type of keyboard do you have ? Is it mechanical or the more common like the cellophane membrane (logitech/razer/cheap keyboards/Microsoft)? Cause both have very different mechanisms.

If it's the normal cellophane ones, remove a couple of keys and check if it's because the domes are dusty or sticky. If they are dusty, try cleaning them with q-tips and some windex. If they stick.... buy a new one cause you're screwed ^_^!
  3. Stiff keyboard is usually crumbs under the keys, old soda, etc... Having computers used by 4 kids and a wife who all like to munch on things while using them, it's a very familair issue :-)
  4. psyxix said:
    What type of keyboard do you have ? Is it mechanical or the more common like the cellophane membrane (logitech/razer/cheap keyboards/Microsoft)? Cause both have very different mechanisms.

If it's the normal cellophane ones, remove a couple of keys and check if it's because the domes are dusty or sticky. If they are dusty, try cleaning them with q-tips and some windex. If they stick.... buy a new one cause you're screwed ^_^!

its a logitech mx 3200
  5. Then it's a cellophane one with domes. Remove the keys starting from the little ones and moving on to the others, I usually do 2 rows at a time. Take a q-tip and clean the domes if the are dusty or sticky.... DO NOT spray the windex directly on the keyboard! Spray some on a scott towel and gently swipe the board, remove the excess and the rest of the trash with a q-tip. Try it on a couple of keys at first to see if this is the cause of the problem.
  6. psyxix said:
    Then it's a cellophane one with domes. Remove the keys starting from the little ones and moving on to the others, I usually do 2 rows at a time. Take a q-tip and clean the domes if the are dusty or sticky.... DO NOT spray the windex directly on the keyboard! Spray some on a scott towel and gently swipe the board, remove the excess and the rest of the trash with a q-tip. Try it on a couple of keys at first to see if this is the cause of the problem.

how can i remove the domes safely? just for precaution
  7. Do not remove the domes, remove the keys, the black letters, they're like lego cubes. You'll see under white smooth plastic domes. If your keyboard is dirty the domes should be dirty and sticky. Wash them :) and you should be good to go.

Here are the instructions :

http://www.pcworld.com/article/112041-3/stepbystep_keep_a_clean_keyboard.html
  8. psyxix said:
    Do not remove the domes, remove the keys, the black letters, they're like lego cubes. You'll see under white smooth plastic domes. If your keyboard is dirty the domes should be dirty and sticky. Wash them :) and you should be good to go.

Here are the instructions :

http://www.pcworld.com/article/112041-3/stepbystep_keep_a_clean_keyboard.html

can i lubricate my keyboard? make it smoother?
  9. Lubricate?? With what, WD40? I would advise against that since it might screw the electric connections under the domes =/. If the keyboard doesn't have a warranty anymore and it still is stiff after a full cleanup you can try it, but I don't think it'll do anything.

You have a membrane keyboard, the typing isn't smooth on one of those. If you want a true typing experience, use a mechanic keyboard. You have different feels to them, in fact 4 feelings. MX cherry's which are the mechanic switches come in 4 main flavors, blues,browns, whites and blacks. I personnaly prefer brown but you might like blacks as the are non clicky and non tactile (smooth typing).
Ask a new question

Read More

Keyboards Logitech Peripherals