Downgrading to Win7 problem.

afortiori

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009
Good afternoon Tom's Hardware Forum users,

My father bought a new laptop recently, a Fujitsu LIFEBOOK AH512 Notebook, which came with a Windows 8 OEM. Both he and I are dumbstruck by how bad and unintuitive the current OS is, and he has tasked me with downgrading it back to Windows 7, a much superior OS in our opinion.

As of this moment, all attempts have failed, with errors being bounced back when trying to boot from an official Windows 7 Professional x64 DVD or bootable memory stick (using Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool from the ISO of the official Windows 7 DVD)

Just to clarify, this booting is being done on a factory fresh, formatted and fully functional 2.5" SSD, which has been tested on another computer. In fact, the disc and memory stick have all been tested and are functioning normally.

So with a brand new clean and empty SSD, if I boot from disc using the Windows 7 DVD it immediately responds with the following:

"Secure Boot
Image failed to verify with *ACCESS DENIED*.
Press any key to continue"

then:

"Setup Warning
Boot failure"

If i boot from memory stick, I simply get the "Setup Warning, Boot failure" message.

My appraisal of the situation is that somehow the motherboard is denying me the ability to perform such a simple task, due to the manufacturer forcing Windows 8 on its customers. Here are some details from the BIOS screen:

Phoenix SecureCore Tiano Setup
Lifebook AH512
BIOS version: 1.07 (09/24/2012) Secure BIOS

Am I simply being paranoid? Is this some glaring error on my part? Does anybody have a solution to what I thought was an extremely simple process of using a bootable disc to install Windows 7 Professional on an empty SSD?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

afortiori

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009
You are absolutely right americanbriar, there is an option for changing the boot configuration for secure boot, however every single option is greyed out, which means fujitsu have purposefully sold my father a laptop that is incapable of using any OS other than Windows 8 (the sly dogs)

Would an update of BIOS possibly "ungrey" the options to allow me to disable secure boot?

Only if the manufacture allows it. Your best bet is to get used to Windows 8. It is really not that hard to use. Five minutes is really all it takes if you really try to use it. If you give up because it is not the same as Windows 7 then you will fail.

In reality getting to your app's and games is faster than Windows XP Vista or 7. The hardware is built to support Windows 8 that is no different than some hardware that was built and sold to only support Windows 7 and up I have seen quite a few that could not downgrade to Windows XP witch is a real downgrade anyway as is going back to Windows 7.

My friends 6 year old sat down infront of Windows 8 and was able to figure it out in just a few minutes so I know it is not that hard to navigate the new UI if you give it a chance. There are start menu hacks out that give you the start menu back but I think they are crap and would never run my OS by using them but if you or your dad do not what to try to get used to Windows 8 you could try them. I will not link to them as I do not like them or feel Windows 8 needs them what so ever.

I think you need to contact fujitsu support.
I imagine that a bios update would allow you to disable secure boot.

v1de0man

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
nice find but did you actually try it?

they are greyed out, and cannot be changed.

I have just been through the exact horrors of windows 8 on a lifebook AH512

can't change the secure boot. And don't even get me started on the so called recovery dvd / partitions.

hmm i have to set a password before i can change them, what a wierd setup, i wonder if i can get it back. However i still couldmt get it to do a factory recovery from the partition, there was no option on the f12, and the recovery dvd was just windows 8 install disc, not a factory dvd, wierd.

adawood

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013

<<Ashraf>>
I have a AH532 model from Fujitsu with same problems - not liking Win8 and when I try to boot Windows 7 from either DVD or USB, I get an error Boot failure.

I tried that link to Fujitsu tech support and followed their recommendations:

1. Disable Fast boot
2. Enable CSM
3. Disable Secure boot

Now the Windows 7 USB is being recognized and I have started downgrading it to Windows 7.

Thanks for posting the link. I solved my problem.

<<Ashraf>>

On most Fujitsu based computers they have always disabled advanced functionality in the BIOS unless a supervisor (or general) password is set in the BIOS first. Most Fujitsu computers are also custom builds for companies with a specific load (image) including the OS and BIOS configuration. It's just one of those things.

But the information provided my ppito is spot on.

ciuffo69

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
For succesfully change the (disable) the secure boot, first you have to set a password for supervisor, after that all of the grayed out option will be available to be removed, disabling secure boot.
Enable CSM
Disable fast boot (if present)
Then in the boot order change the priority and moving up the cd/dvd rom. Insert the media (win 7 x64 or 32) and rebbot.

Dont forget to sign the supervisor password you have just entered !! Or delete it after secure boot disabled, or in the future yiu won't be able (if forgetted) to enter the Uefi bios again
Good luck

cyber-5

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
FUJITSU AH512 AND ALL NEW FUJITSU SECURE BOOT PROBLEM SOLVED

I have a AH512 model from Fujitsu with same problems - I try to install Windows 8 Enterprise and couldn't boot from either DVD or USB, I get an error Boot failure.

I tried this and it worked:

1. Switch on the laptop and enter setup that is F2

2. Go to Security in security click on set supervisor Password
Enter your password and confirm it to save it.
3. In security go to secure boot configurations and disable SECURE BOOT OPTION

4. Go to Advanced in advanced Enable CSM and you are done.

You can now install any Microsoft Windows on your laptop

Remember to enter your password any time you enter setup:D

afortiori

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009
Thank you very much, CSM is now enabled. Have not tried installing Win7 yet, but I am fairly certain it will now work.

Thanks again.

alon-sage

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013

I had the same thing on Fujitsu AH512.
Put password for "Administrator" password... and then the secure boot will not be "greyed-out".

Alon.
Sage support.