Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I know a couple people have posted links, <A HREF="http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-5409816.html" target="_new">Here's Another</A>, but I'm going off in a different direction: What this means for AMD and their fans!

AMD has a long history of backing off whenever Intel's chips are down. Will you find A64 4000+ processors on the market? Probably, it's a bit late to pull them! But what about the next thing afterwards?

HAH, now AMD has to wait on new product launches until Intel gets a chance to reshuffle the deck. That, or become a truely competitave company...NOT.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I think it might also be too late for the 90nm 4200+ (2.6GHz, 512Kb L2), or at least illogical for AMD when they can sell their best Winchesters for a significant premium.

I, too, would like to see AMD push forward, but it is unlikely that they will...maybe they'll follow Intel and move more money/resources/engineers to their dual-core design. A 2.2GHz dual-core before Q3 '05 would be superb (do I think they can do it? Yes, but only if they kick it into high-gear starting now).

This will be a very telling time for AMD...we'll see if they have what it takes to capitalize on Intel's studder-step.

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
hmmm. I never expected Intel to so publicly reverse it's strategy.

Even with 2Mb cache, I can't see scotty competing successfully with a 2.6 - 2.8Ghz A64, which AMD should be capable of producing inside a year. (IMO... may be wrong...)

Of course Intel still have WAY more market share & production capacity than AMD, but this is still going to hurt them a little.

Wonder if they're paving the way for a P-M based Desktop chip? Could only be a good thing really.

I would still be very interested in what a 90nm Northwood would be like though.

---
Epox 8RDA+ V1.1 w/ Custom NB HS
XP1700+ @200x10 (~2Ghz), 1.4 Vcore
2x256Mb Corsair PC3200LL/1x512Mb Corsair XMS PC4000 2.5-3-3-7
Sapphire 9800Pro (VGA Silencer Rev3) @418/742

trooper11

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
why does anyone assume that the first hting amd will do is cowar in fear of what intel will do next and WAIT for intel to make a move.

What I hope they do is strike now and continue as thier roadmaps have projected. sure you can say looking at the history, amd my hold in the reigns, but i just have a feeling amd my be tired of letting intel steeer thier own chip agenda. sure intel is the dominant one, but who cares, frankly both can exist if both have good products, there doesnt have to be only one.

AMD started the ball with ahtlon 64 and will continue with dual core, its time they started sticking to thier plan no matter what intel does. how did intel get all this dominance in the first place, by going its own way, wrong or right it was independent. although i am suprised intle would publicly say no 4ghz at all, they are a marketing machine, but we all knew it was coming, that intel would have to drop the pretense and let netburst fade away in favor of something new.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You know what would really help Intel is doing some massively parallel execution using several simple cores (ie, P-M) under some kind of logic hub that would appear to the board/OS as 1 core. Basically a controller that says "program A executes on core A, program B on core B" and works like a highspeed switchboard. Where the controller itself appears as the CPU to the board.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
That's an interesting Idea. If they could pull that off, they'd be able to have quad-core chips that (even with the minor losses from the 'switch') would perform like a 7Ghz Scotty.

Be quite tricky to do though. :eek:

---
XP1700+ @205x11 (~2255Mhz), 1.6 Vcore

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
AMD doesn't yet have the capacity to take over that much of the market. It makes more business sense to just sit tight with the advantage, and use the lull to refine what they have and try to get another fab going.

Not sure what AMD's plans are in that respect though.

---
XP1700+ @205x11 (~2255Mhz), 1.6 Vcore

wschuerm

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
Look at the economic facts. These are companies we are talking about, the roaring '90s are over a company has to make a profit to survive. Intels profits have risen 15% last time they announced. AMD missed it's target. It is most likely that both comapnies will survive. All we as consumers cna hope for is fierce competition on prices. (nad don't give me the AMD is cheaper line because that is just not true any more)

ASUS P4P800S-X
P IV 2,4 @ nothing caus this board doesn't OC for [-peep-]
2x512MB Corsair pc4000
120 maxtor SATA
Sapphire Radeon 9800pro 128mb
Watercooled

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Think about what people are doing with clusters: You have a program that needs to be accomplished by a powerfull computer (server), your computer runs the program as a client...the computations are handled by the server via distributed computing, your client doesn't know that however, it only sees one server.

Chips already have several different functions that can execute while other parts of the processor are being used for other functions, it seems like they could expand on that idea. Imagine even 1 program running 4 instructions on 4 cores simultaniously being handled by 1 controller so it seems like it's being done on 1 CPU that's 4x as fast.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Because it's AMD's policy to wait for Intel to catch up whenever they find themselves with a lead. They actually got sued by their own investors for expanding production before.

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
To be exact AMD spent money that wasnt there again.

Xeon

<font color=red>Post created with being a dickhead in mind.</font color=red>
<font color=white>For all emotional and slanderous statements contact THG for all law suits.</font color=white>

RichPLS

Champion
This is probally will be linked back to the Bush administration

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If investors had their way, AMD would still be making K6-2's and K6-III's, and somehow selling them. They sued AMD for developing the Athlon (too much spending on development) and for investing in the .18 micron process, then again for building a new fab.

Investor's don't know what it takes to remain viable in the market.

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
too much spending on development
Didn't I say that? Also I wouldnt under estimate investors knowledge of the market. If ones can spend millions and not break a sweat, I am quite sure they know something, since they have millions to begin with.

But thats not all investors some are doh heads too.

Xeon

<font color=red>Post created with being a dickhead in mind.</font color=red>
<font color=white>For all emotional and slanderous statements contact THG for all law suits.</font color=white>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Ah, but the whole idea "it takes money to make money" applies here, AMD would have been dead in the CPU market without the Athlon. So sueing makes no sense. If there's an EFFICIENCY OF MANAGEMENT problem, the board of investors are responsible to make the needed corrections in the staff.

endyen

Splendid
And of course, it's not like Intel would have anything to do with something like that right?
Of course, if Amd takes advantage of the current situation, Intel would not even consider using their mass, and budget to interfea.r

No big surprise they will not launch 4Ghz P4. They shut down Tejas. But since they plan on launching dual core Cpus next year. That would be a waste of $ releasing P4 4Ghz when dual core releases around same time frame.Let's see when AMD releases their dual core chips.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
When AMD faulters, Intel slows down. When Intel faulters, AMD pauses. Now surely you can understand the difference between stopping and slowing down.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
They COULD release a 4GHz Prescott simply by picking the best cores and charging enough that those few cores don't get depleated. No more development cost required to do that.