Searching for Very Smart Computer Saavy People!!

NJMom

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2004
I will be posting this same question in two or so spots where I think the most brilliant of you might be hanging out reading posts. I used to "log on" here when I was researching computers and was struck by how smart many of you are & how comfortable you are with computers and thats the kind of person I need right now.

My husband has walked out the door after 20 years of marriage and due to this I need to use the internet to look up all kinds of things:(new vehicle-I lost mine in an accident, home rentals, SUPPORT GROUPS! etc.) The problem is that we had/have two computers in the house. One is the ancient and VERY SLOW computer I'm typing this on with only 32 mb. of ram- UUUGGHH -(One web page can take 10-15 minutes to load )& God forbid you open two or three windows like I like to!

For one week we had a second computer -DO NOT LAUGH PLEASE -It was my fathers old "Compaq 5008US that was old itself but at least it was running Windows Me (not Win 95) and it had 128 mb. of Ram. I had it up and running and it seemed fast compared to what I'm used to.

Anyway......

One of the kids shut down the Compaq by turning the power off, not shutting it down. Oh my, what a mistake!!!!!!!

It is now telling me that it cannot load the mouse/driver because it is missing the file vmouse.vxd (I think thats the extension.) Someone said this is a core operating file?
It also is only appearing to be in safe mode (bad graphics) although it does not say it's in it.....
I CANNOT RE-RUN SETUP BECAUSE MY FATHER DOES NOT HAVE THE STUPID WINDOWS ME DISK!!!!! I also cannot "restore" to a previous days setup because it says it simply CANT DO THAT!!
Maybe it's just NOT IN THE MOOD to restore, I dont know.....

I can navigate around the stupid desktop with the keyboard but its strange& awkward and slow.

Can one of you "computer guys" or "computer girls" out there tell me if I should walk around town asking if someone has an old Windows Me disk and ask to copy the file off it or is not that simple?? (could I simply COPY the file into the system somewhere.)
I do not have a credit card to order Windows Me on the internet and have no idea where to find it locally.
Is it better to simply format the whole computer and buy it and setup Win Me from scratch? (dont think this computer is new enough to run XP)
I'm sorry this is so long and I'm sorry if my computer illiteracy is showing. I'm just a MOM who does her husbands business work from the house with Quickbooks, which does not require much computer know-how!!! LOL.

I would love to buy a brand new computer, more than ever now, but without a credit card and without $1500-$2000 saved up my only option to make PAYMENTS appears to be Dell
and I remember what you all said about that!!

Thanks in advance.
Barb

wschuerm

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
I would try Linux if i was you its free. If you only need to use the internet than i think it should suffize. I don't exactly lnow where you can get it but you can of course just download it off of the internet. Another solution would be to search for a computer guy near you.

Good luck!!!

ASUS P4P800S-X
P IV 2,4 @ nothing caus this board doesn't OC for [-peep-]
2x512MB Corsair pc4000
120 maxtor SATA
Sapphire Radeon 9800pro 128mb
Watercooled

While Linux is free... it might be a little intimidating for someone with little computer knowledge. What I would strongly recommend over Win ME is finding someone with a copy of Windows 98SE and installing it. Most of us here have absolutely no love for ME and if you can't use 2000 / XP, then 98SE is your best bet.

How fast is that computer? While 128MB is a little on the low side for it, Win 2000 would be a great alternative to XP. If it's at least 400MHz, you'll have yourself a nice, stable OS with a much more fault-tolerant file system (NTFS). I would suggest Win 2000 + at least another 128MB of RAM.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

bjpatrick

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2004
""I would love to buy a brand new computer, more than ever now, but without a credit card and without $1500-$2000 saved up my only option to make PAYMENTS appears to be Dell
and I remember what you all said about that!!""

If you buy an computer to surf the interent and read e-mail at the price of 1500-2000 bucks.

You can get a new computer a lot cheaper than that. Lets say around 500 bucks.

Here are some examples:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&kc=6V588&l=en&oc=D24SO&s=dhs

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_series.do?series_name=a710e_series&catLevel=2&category=desktops/hp_pavilion&storeName=computer_store

These computers come with XP also. Why pay 150-300 bucks for XP. When you can buy a new computer for between 400-500 bucks?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bjpatrick on 10/15/04 02:23 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
heya NJMom;

My first reaction is WOW, your in a hell of a bind here, thats alot of stuff to have on your plate at once. I have a p3 system that is way way faster then what you have, and im willing to let it go cheap, you should get in touch with me via private message here on toms.
The system is as follows.

Mobo; Asus Cusl2
CPU: p3 667EB (FC-PGA) coppermine
Graphics card: Geforce MX400
memory: 256MB Micron pc133
sound card: Creative 5.1 Live
win98 SE retail box
Also either a 56k modem or NIC depending on which you are going to use.

This is more then enough for what you need it for, and at my price you cant pass it up ;)

<b><font color=blue>Co-Founder and Administrator of Toms Hardware IRC</font color=blue></b>
<b><font color=red>
Server: hub1.oddnet.net
Channel: #Tomshardware
</b></font color=red>

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
one can discuss possiblities for you in a chat. Can you come over to the irc (hub1.oddnet.net port 6667 #tomshardware).

See on top of this page (or any page) on how to get there.
Also If you plan to format your PC, i suggest going in for windows 98 SE rather then ME (which is a bunch of worthless programs compiles by M$)

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue:

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
You have so much things to sell!

------------
<A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A>

<A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig</A> & <A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/benchmark.html" target="_new">3DMark score</A>

NJMom

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2004
Being called a "frickin idiot" (his spelling) by bjpatrick for how much I'd spend on a computer certainly did not make me feel welcome to Toms Hardware. (I havent been here in over 2 years or on the internet at all for that matter) Thank you to those who did not try & make me feel bad when reading my question. I appreciate it.

I should clarify that I've held onto this very old computer waiting for the day I could purchase "The Big One, "The "Dream Machine" with a nice black case, lcd monitor, all the newest parts etc. While bjpatrick mentions I dont need a nice computer to use the internet & run Quickbooks I have a son who loves to play graphic-intensive games and cannot do so properly on the older computer. I'd love to have all our construction company programs on it along with all his newest games amongst other things.

I wasnt aware I had to "justify" wanting to have a nice computer. Seems I've seen many people mention wanting something nice whether they NEEDED it or not...............

Back to original question. I see many suggesting I simply have to find Windows 98 or similiar and start from scratch.
I guess that means I cant just find that stupid vmouse.vxd online and "download it" huh?? I guess that sounds too easy so it must not be possible :)

Unless I see an "online download" solution I guess it's off to find an old Windows system for sale somewhere.

Thanks again.......

bjpatrick

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2004
NJMom,

I'm sorry. Had a really bad morning. My post has been changed.

One thing about buying a dream machine that can do everything at that time and place. One year down the road that dream machine may seem to be a waste of money considering that the pace that technology moves and computers depreciate faster than even cars!

If your son likes to play video games then go buy him an console because not only are they cheaper. Consoles hold their value considering that they are usually good for three years. While a new computer will have to be upgraded to run the biggest and best games out there as time moves on. Meaning you do not have to upgrade a console system to keep playing games designed for that platform. <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bjpatrick on 10/15/04 02:23 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

I'm sure you could find the file buried in the .cab files somewhere... but here's something you can do in the meantime:

Search for the file to see if it exsists on the hard drive. If it does, make sure it's in the right location. If it is, then the file is likely corrupt and you'll have to extract another copy from the .cab files on your hard drive. I can't remember all the steps right now... but I'm sure someone here can.

:smile:

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

NJMom

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2004
What you mention about the .cab files sounds like something that might help, that is if I knew what the hell a .cab file was....LOL....I was hoping that the file might be somewhere else on the computer.
I looked on someones copy of Windows XP and saw vmouse.vxd but didnt know if it would be the same thing and if I copied it could I just "plop" it into the proper location & have it work?

bj-Thank you-It probably shouldnt have hurt my feelings-but it did :)

try it, can't make the PC work any less than it already does :lol: .

If not, ill host a copy of the file from my WinME CD if I can find it

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Windows XP driver files (*.vxd) shouldn't work with WinMe

------------
<A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A>

<A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig</A> & <A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/benchmark.html" target="_new">3DMark score</A>

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
Link deleted not the solution

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Schmide on 10/15/04 03:46 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

ZER0

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
the windows me setup files my be in the folder c:\windows\options\cabs\setup.exe
if u have a boot disk u can boot to dos and run that to reinstall

NJMom

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2004
To Ned who said he would try & find the file for me and to Scmide who has put it here, I"m turning off this computer and going to sign onto my "out of order" one and see if this works.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for being kind enough to take time out to try & help me out-Means a lot :)

Do I just paste the file into "windows?"

Thanks again-
Barb

NJMom

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2004
Tried to stop the post as it went through-dont know if I got it. I see now you already told me where to put the file-Sorry-I had gotten so excited at a possible fix that I wasnt paying atttention.

Barb

Hey... what am I? Chopped liver? :smile:

.cab files are very similar to .zip files... they are a series of other files compressed into one file to make it easier to distribute and take up less space. Windows setup uses .cab files to extract and copy all the necessary files it takes to run Windows.

Did you do a search for the file on that computer? I'm curious to know if it's there or not.

NJMom

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2004
Bear with me-I'm over here trying to "right click" on a file that could help me when my computer wont acknowledge I have a mouse!!!! LOL I did not see your post-Sorry.
It takes me about 5-6 minutes to download one post from the forum with my dinosaur computer here.

WHEN I SEARCH ENTIRE COMPUTER, FILES, FOLDERS, ETC. It cannot find vmouse.vxd.

Does that mean it's REALLY REALLY GONE? All my little boy did was shut off the computer the BAD WAY-I mean my goodness.
My dad had just given us this to get us by so I had not made any kind of back up disk yet and he does not have the original CD of WindowsMe. I was just getting the thing started when this happened. Now I wish I'd made a bootdisk right away.

Thanks and no, you are certainly not chopped liver.

Whoever fixes this for me will have the everlasting devotion of a 39 divorcee (to be) who may be old but is in possession of a small waistline along with some nice D cups-LOL......Oh, and the everlasing devotion of my two kids also!!!!!!!!

NJMom

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2004
Zero, I went to c:\windows\options\cabs\setup.exe

When I narrow down the "search computer" to that very file it still says there is no vmouse.

If, I click on "setup" in that folder what exactly would happen??? Armageddon? Format C? Windows Me SetUp? Sorry but I have no clue?

You have to look in the file Win_20.cab. If WinME's compressed files won't open it, install Winzip. If you open the .cab file with one of those programs, you should see the file you're looking for.

I also sent you a PM... let me know if it's any help.

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
Ok to save a file on your system without a mouse. A little tedious but here it goes. On the web page you’re viewing. Hit the tab key until the link is highlighted. Then hit the menu key or shift-F10, use the arrow keys to select “save target as”

Your best bet is to just copy the 30k file on a floppy then move it to the busted computer using the command prompt.

Edit: (This will only work with keyboards that have a menu key. (It’s usually the key next to the ctrl key on the right. Freaking M$.) Or use Shift-F10

I had this exact thing happen to me for no particular reason on my Mom’s computer. I ended up just upgrading her computer from 98 to ME and that fixed the problem. I know this is not an option but no need to blame your kid, blame M$.

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Schmide on 10/15/04 03:18 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

NJMom

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2004
In your post I see www.schmid/vmouse.vxd or something like that, showing up as a website.
When I right click it gives me the option of going to that "site" or copying the shortcut.
Am I doing something wrong?
How do I copy the file if it's actually a site?
Gosh and I thought I knew at least a tad bit about computers-I'm mentally exhausted after today-Sorry.

Appreciate this=
Barbara

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
After doing some research I've found the following.

Basically your system.ini has gotten corrupted.

Here is a good listing on what to do.

<A HREF="http://www.computing.net/windowsme/wwwboard/forum/44053.html" target="_new">http://www.computing.net/windowsme/wwwboard/forum/44053.html</A>

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...