TZ PowerBall times two ?

Last response: in Video Games
September 1, 2005 12:43:38 PM

Regarding my Twilight Zone pinball. Many of the visitors to my home
don't have the skill to make the gumball shot. So, as a result, the
powerball always seems to languish in the gumball machine, seeing very
little game action. Often, I run the 'empty gumball machine' test just
to get the powerball back on the table.

So, now I'm thinking . . . How about installing two powerballs to
increase the odds of one being in the ball trough. Has anyone ever
done this ? Does it enhance gameplay or make it too easy ?

More about : powerball times

September 1, 2005 12:51:33 PM

Not a good idea. You would get a powerball during powerball mania
multiball and it could/would end up on the upper playfield - useless.
A better idea is to remove one of the steel balls, so there are only 5
balls total and just two in the gumball machine. You may get less
points in LITZ with only five balls, but I gather LITZ is not reached
too often there anyway...

John
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 12:57:46 PM

if they can't get the steel ball in the gumball machine then playing
with a Powerball is going to provide them with about 3 seconds of fum -
that thing moves so fast that it drains too quickly for a novice player
to truly appreciate it. Suppose they get two Powerballs in a row -
their entire game could be over in 45 seconds.

Besides, aren't those things like $40!?!
Related resources
September 1, 2005 1:48:53 PM

I read somewhere that people added an extra ball to the game so the
gumball machine would look more full but it played havoc with my game
having that extra ball in the count. Also, the game auto loads if there
aren't 3 in the gumball machine right? So even removing one the game
should always have 3 in the gumball machine.

Or you could do as the guy who owned my game did before me, set the
game for 10 balls per game so you are bound to get the powerball out of
the gumball machine eventually!

nomad
September 1, 2005 2:06:48 PM

The game looks for three balls in the trough and puts the rest in the
gumball machine. I think there is an adjustment in the menu to say how
many balls are in the gumball machine too. Can't remember though...

John
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 4:34:18 PM

Macman, the trouble is . . . when I play the game the powerball ends up
in the gumball machine. Other players at my home cannot cycle it out
because they miss the shot.
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 6:19:57 PM

Stop worrying about your guests enjoying powerball, it's not the hardest
shot in the game so obviously playing with it is not going to be an
important factor in their enjoyment. TZ is generally not a good game for
newbies.

GRY

"MrWurm" <webwurm@direcway.com> wrote in message
> Macman, the trouble is . . . when I play the game the powerball ends up
> in the gumball machine. Other players at my home cannot cycle it out
> because they miss the shot.

Anonymous
September 1, 2005 7:25:49 PM

Disable the diverter, throw the 'gumball' in the trough. The trough can hold
4 balls, but will not accept them for more than three seconds. Even if you
disable the diverter, it will still open to empty that 4th ball back into
the machine.

--Eric
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 8:55:39 PM

>Macman, the trouble is . . . when I play the game the powerball ends up
>in the gumball machine. Other players at my home cannot cycle it out
>because they miss the shot.

Solution:p lay an extra game shooting only the ramps and gumball machine
until the powerball gets dumped and let it drain and turn the game off.
Should only take a minute or so to shoot the ramps a few times each and
load the machine after. If nothing else it will be good practice to
ignore everything else and force those same shots.

-cody
CARGPB#4
September 1, 2005 11:24:52 PM

In article <1125589418.294236.221080@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"MrWurm" <webwurm@direcway.com> wrote:

> Regarding my Twilight Zone pinball. Many of the visitors to my home
> don't have the skill to make the gumball shot. So, as a result, the
> powerball always seems to languish in the gumball machine, seeing very
> little game action. Often, I run the 'empty gumball machine' test just
> to get the powerball back on the table.
>
> So, now I'm thinking . . . How about installing two powerballs to
> increase the odds of one being in the ball trough. Has anyone ever
> done this ? Does it enhance gameplay or make it too easy ?

Not understanding... if they can't shot the gumball machine why not just
put the Powerball in the trough and another steel ball in the gumball.
That way they get to play the powerball, not hit the gumball, and it
remains in the trough for further play.

Cheers
Macman
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 2:25:09 AM

PT wrote:
> The game looks for three balls in the trough and puts the rest in the
> gumball machine. I think there is an adjustment in the menu to say how
> many balls are in the gumball machine too. Can't remember though...

Yes, newer ROMs (sorry, don't know when exactly it was added) have a
feature adjustment "BALLS IN GUMBALL". Set this to the number of balls
you want to keep in the gumball machine, if you want more than 3.

If you install the tournament mode preset, this adjustment is changed to 2.

If the game detects an extra ball (or a missing ball) in the gumball, it
will warn you about this in the Test Report, since a mismatch may lead
to confusion.

And to reiterate -- don't put two powerballs in the machine! That
*will* lead to confusion.

- Brian
!