!!! URGENT HELP NEEDED: Flashing Palm m515 with US-english..

December 23, 2004 5:46:25 PM

Hello,

I used a Palm m515 with US-english ROM until a few days ago. The Palm became
destroyed (I have no data loss because of a daily hotsync).
I bought a new Palm m515 now, but here in Europe I only got the multilingual
version (other ROM). Restoring all my data and apps with Palm Desktop and
BackupBuddy works only one time, after a few minutes or the next hotsync I
receive a "fatal exception" right after pressing the hotsync button and have
to make a hard reset again.

I guess that some programs I use are not compatible with the multilingual
ROM. Deleting almost all of 3rd party programs didn't solve the problem.

So my idea is, to flash my new Palm with the original US-englisch ROM.
(Remark: I don't care about warranty, I only need a working Palm).

Is this possible? Which program is necessary for this? And how-to??

Please reply urgently; I'm working on my own and I need my Palm
uninteruptibly for my work, without it, I have incredible problems.

Best regards and Thanks in advance!!

Roman
Graz/Austria

eMail: r.cwienk@telering.at
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 5:46:26 PM

Roman Cwienk <NOSPAMr.cwienk@telering.at> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I used a Palm m515 with US-english ROM until a few days ago. The Palm
> became destroyed (I have no data loss because of a daily hotsync).
> I bought a new Palm m515 now, but here in Europe I only got the
> multilingual version (other ROM). Restoring all my data and apps with
> Palm Desktop and BackupBuddy works only one time, after a few minutes
> or the next hotsync I receive a "fatal exception" right after
> pressing the hotsync button and have to make a hard reset again.
>
> I guess that some programs I use are not compatible with the
> multilingual ROM. Deleting almost all of 3rd party programs didn't
> solve the problem.

My guess is that "BackupBuddy" also backed up device specific files, which
originally were marked as "do not backup" for a good reason.
Device specific files include, but are not limited to "Unsaved Preferences",
network and graffiti setting files, and key files bound to a specific serial
number.

Sorry, I have no suggestions except to zap backupbuddy and all device
specific files that you can easily identify (Unsaved Preferences, at the
very least) from the Palm\Backup folder, and then restore to a freshly hard
reset device using normal Hotsync. Do *not* set "desktop overwrites
handheld" first -- you want recovery mode, which is automatically entered
when finding an empty device.

Regards,
--
*Art