Dell XP System restore disk ?

Some friends of ours bought their Dell from a rent to own place. Now they
need to reformat their hard drive but they don't have the CD. Should they
call Microsoft to have a copy sent to them, or Dell ? They do have the
sticker on the side with the Windows OEM number on it.
Thanks
docfl

--
Do not use for USE(SPAM) Replace no spam with com to reply
should read docfl(at)tampabay.rr.com

    Since it is Dell OEM, Microsoft can not help.
    The Rent to Own place should have furnished the CDs.
    If it is a recent purchase (usually less than 30 days), contact them
    and/or Dell.
    If it is a recent purchase and they refuse, contact Microsoft:
    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/

    If it is not a recent purchase, the remedy may be to purchase Windows
    retail.

    --
    Jupiter Jones
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "docfl" <docfl1@tampabay.nospamrr.com> wrote in message
    > Some friends of ours bought their Dell from a rent to own place. Now
    they
    > need to reformat their hard drive but they don't have the CD. Should
    they
    > call Microsoft to have a copy sent to them, or Dell ? They do have
    the
    > sticker on the side with the Windows OEM number on it.
    > Thanks
    > docfl
    >
    > --
    > Do not use for USE(SPAM) Replace no spam with com to reply
    > should read docfl(at)tampabay.rr.com

    The rent to own place gave them nothing in the way of disks. I havent seen
    their computer Im not sure what the problem is. The computer does not boot
    at all it comes on to a bluescreen(they are going to write the error code
    down for me.) The have tried to boot into safe mode with no luck. They did
    tell me that on the blue screen it mentions the system resore to last known
    good configuration, but that doesnt work.
    Thanks for your help.
    docfl

    --
    Do not use for USE(SPAM) Replace no spam with com to reply
    should read docfl(at)tampabay.rr.com

    Maybe it is also pre-installed. An i386 dir on the c drive? With a setup?
    Burn it on cd and maybe you can use this.

    "docfl" <docfl1@tampabay.nospamrr.com> schreef in bericht
    > Some friends of ours bought their Dell from a rent to own place. Now they
    > need to reformat their hard drive but they don't have the CD. Should they
    > call Microsoft to have a copy sent to them, or Dell ? They do have the
    > sticker on the side with the Windows OEM number on it.
    > Thanks
    > docfl
    >
    > --
    > Do not use for USE(SPAM) Replace no spam with com to reply
    > should read docfl(at)tampabay.rr.com

    If it is a Dell, it came with a legal copy of XP. The store must provide
    it. It is bundled as a part of the computer.

    Tom
    "Johoo" <johoo123@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
    > Maybe it is also pre-installed. An i386 dir on the c drive? With a setup?
    > Burn it on cd and maybe you can use this.
    >

    > "docfl" <docfl1@tampabay.nospamrr.com> schreef in bericht
    > > Some friends of ours bought their Dell from a rent to own place. Now
    they
    > > need to reformat their hard drive but they don't have the CD. Should
    they
    > > call Microsoft to have a copy sent to them, or Dell ? They do have the
    > > sticker on the side with the Windows OEM number on it.
    > > Thanks
    > > docfl
    > >
    > > --
    > > Do not use for USE(SPAM) Replace no spam with com to reply
    > > should read docfl(at)tampabay.rr.com

    The next step in this case is a Repair Installation:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/repaxp.htm
    But...you need the CD.

    How long have they had the computer?
    Have they asked the rent to own place for the CDs?

    --

    > The rent to own place gave them nothing in the way of disks. I
    havent seen
    > their computer Im not sure what the problem is. The computer does
    not boot
    > at all it comes on to a bluescreen(they are going to write the error
    code
    > down for me.) The have tried to boot into safe mode with no luck.
    They did
    > tell me that on the blue screen it mentions the system resore to
    last known
    > good configuration, but that doesnt work.
    > Thanks for your help.
    > docfl

    On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 02:48:07 GMT, "Jupiter Jones"
    <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote:

    >The next step in this case is a Repair Installation:
    >http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/repaxp.htm
    >But...you need the CD.
    >
    >How long have they had the computer?
    >Have they asked the rent to own place for the CDs?

    Dell will replace any discs that are missing, including the OS. They
    won't send another COA for XP, but the one on the sticker on the
    computer case will work just fine with the replacement copy. In fact,
    it will work with ANY copy of XP that needs a COA.

    true, but only if you are within 30 days of the ship date.

    "JDC" <stringslinger@nevermind.com> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 02:48:07 GMT, "Jupiter Jones"
    > <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >The next step in this case is a Repair Installation:
    > >http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/repaxp.htm
    > >But...you need the CD.
    > >
    > >How long have they had the computer?
    > >Have they asked the rent to own place for the CDs?
    >
    > Dell will replace any discs that are missing, including the OS. They
    > won't send another COA for XP, but the one on the sticker on the
    > computer case will work just fine with the replacement copy. In fact,
    > it will work with ANY copy of XP that needs a COA.

    So if I understand correctly I could use my CD to repair or format and
    reinstall XP , then use their OEM number from the sticker on the side of
    their computer.
    Thanks for the help people.
    docfl
    --
    Do not use for USE(SPAM) Replace no spam with com to reply
    should read docfl(at)tampabay.rr.com

    well it depends on where you got the cd that you refer to as 'my CD'...
    the certificate of authenticity (coa) sticker on the side of your friends
    dell has a serial number that will only activate original equipment
    manufacture (oem) version of windows xp. if by 'my CD' you mean a copy of
    windows that you purchase in a retail box then it will not work, but if by
    'my CD' you mean your 'dell windows xp restore cd' that came with any dell
    then it will work...

    > So if I understand correctly I could use my CD to repair or format and
    > reinstall XP , then use their OEM number from the sticker on the side of
    > their computer.
    > Thanks for the help people.
    > docfl
    > --
    > Do not use for USE(SPAM) Replace no spam with com to reply
    > should read docfl(at)tampabay.rr.com

    That's what I meant(windows XP restore). Sorry if I wasn't clear.
    Thanks all for your help.
    docfl

    --
    Do not use for USE(SPAM) Replace no spam with com to reply
    should read docfl(at)tampabay.rr.com

    Dell just as other OEMs will only replace missing withinn a limited
    time, typically 30 days.
    After that, buy it retail because no one but you is responsible for
    it.

    As for the Product Keys, there are many different types and they are
    not interchangable.
    OEM vs retail
    Upgrade vs full
    Just to name a few.

    --
    Jupiter Jones
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "JDC" <stringslinger@nevermind.com> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 02:48:07 GMT, "Jupiter Jones"
    > <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >The next step in this case is a Repair Installation:
    > >http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/repaxp.htm
    > >But...you need the CD.
    > >
    > >How long have they had the computer?
    > >Have they asked the rent to own place for the CDs?
    >
    > Dell will replace any discs that are missing, including the OS. They
    > won't send another COA for XP, but the one on the sticker on the
    > computer case will work just fine with the replacement copy. In
    fact,
    > it will work with ANY copy of XP that needs a COA.

    then just be sure that it is the same edition (home or professional) as the
    coa and you are in business.

    > That's what I meant(windows XP restore). Sorry if I wasn't clear.
    > Thanks all for your help.
    > docfl
    >
    > --
    > Do not use for USE(SPAM) Replace no spam with com to reply
    > should read docfl(at)tampabay.rr.com

    On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 20:54:37 GMT, "Jupiter Jones"
    <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote:

    >Dell just as other OEMs will only replace missing withinn a limited
    >time, typically 30 days.
    >After that, buy it retail because no one but you is responsible for
    >it.

    Actually, Dell technicians have the authority to replace *any* CD
    that shipped with the system with no time limit. The only constraint
    is availability. Some of the older Resource CDs are not available any
    more, so drivers would have to be downloaded from
    www.support.dell.com. Some of the older applications cds are likewise
    unavailable, but certainly the OS cds can be sent out any time, as
    long as the customer info matches the service tag. Trust me on this
    one :-)

    I'm not so sure about that. For example, the Windows installation CD that
    ships with Dell computers is software that belongs to Microsoft, not Dell.
    The distribution of that CD is entirely up to the licensing agreement that
    Dell has with Microsoft, which I believe limits replacements to 30 days.

    Rocky

    > On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 20:54:37 GMT, "Jupiter Jones"
    > <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Dell just as other OEMs will only replace missing withinn a limited
    > >time, typically 30 days.
    > >After that, buy it retail because no one but you is responsible for
    > >it.
    > >
    > Actually, Dell technicians have the authority to replace *any* CD
    > that shipped with the system with no time limit. The only constraint
    > is availability. Some of the older Resource CDs are not available any
    > more, so drivers would have to be downloaded from
    > www.support.dell.com. Some of the older applications cds are likewise
    > unavailable, but certainly the OS cds can be sent out any time, as
    > long as the customer info matches the service tag. Trust me on this
    > one :-)

    i think that either you or someone else said this before... but i have never
    had dell offer me this or heard of anyone else being so lucky. i know that
    large corporations, government agencies, schools and the like that purchase
    in volume obtain site licenses for their software, create a software 'image'
    and dell supplies it to clients on cd along with hard drive replacements...
    but never heard of such service from the 'home' division who will not even
    replace a cracked cd if returned to them outside of the first 30 days... it
    there a special way to ask for this out of warranty replacement software cd?

    "JDC" <stringslinger@nevermind.com> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 20:54:37 GMT, "Jupiter Jones"
    > <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Dell just as other OEMs will only replace missing withinn a limited
    > >time, typically 30 days.
    > >After that, buy it retail because no one but you is responsible for
    > >it.
    > >
    > Actually, Dell technicians have the authority to replace *any* CD
    > that shipped with the system with no time limit. The only constraint
    > is availability. Some of the older Resource CDs are not available any
    > more, so drivers would have to be downloaded from
    > www.support.dell.com. Some of the older applications cds are likewise
    > unavailable, but certainly the OS cds can be sent out any time, as
    > long as the customer info matches the service tag. Trust me on this
    > one :-)

    On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 04:23:20 GMT, "Christopher Muto"
    <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

    >it
    >there a special way to ask for this out of warranty replacement software cd?

    Yes, ask to speak to a manager. Getting these CDs replaced should not
    be a big deal; it happens every day at Dell. If you get a tech who
    tells you he can't do it he's either misinformed or lazy, both of
    which are highly possible. Again, the only restriction is one of
    availability; the application and resource discs are not stockpiled
    for any great length of time, so with an older system you may not be
    able to replace say, Works Suite 2001 or the Dell Dimension Resource
    CD that came with the system. You can, however, get a copy of Win98 or
    WinME for that older system. With a newer system all the discs would
    still be available, so you could replace the whole lot if needed.
    As far as the OS disc itself goes, Microsoft doesn't care how many
    copies of the OS disc you get; they only care about how many COAs (CD
    keys) you get. For XP you will only get the one that's on the sticker
    on your computer. If that gets lost or damaged, you may as well just
    buy XP because replacing that through Dell is more trouble than it's
    worth, although it *can* be done.

    So many people have Dells. Why not borrow someones Dell disk to do the
    re-install. The important thing is the number on the sticker.
    Ed

    "docfl" <docfl1@tampabay.nospamrr.com> wrote in message
    > Some friends of ours bought their Dell from a rent to own place. Now they
    > need to reformat their hard drive but they don't have the CD. Should they
    > call Microsoft to have a copy sent to them, or Dell ? They do have the
    > sticker on the side with the Windows OEM number on it.
    > Thanks
    > docfl
    >
    > --
    > Do not use for USE(SPAM) Replace no spam with com to reply
    > should read docfl(at)tampabay.rr.com

Dell System Restore Windows XP Computers