Sign in with
Your question

Need Good value CPU but best possible Speed

Last response: in CPUs
October 17, 2004 4:19:36 PM

basically im looking for a upgrade of memoery CPU and motherboard.

my current setup is this:

AMD XP2600 OC 14x166 2340mhz. Aero 7 cooler jet.
DFI Lanparty nforce 2 Ultra Version B motherboard.
512 333mhz [-peep-] ram
Audigys sound with cambridge soundworks DTT3500.
2 X DVD 8x + - writer liteon
Thermaltake Butterfly 480watt supply 7LEDs LCDtemp
and 2 adjustable fans
Thermaltake Xaser III ALU case 4 adjustable fans with LCD temp display. 2 neons.
6800 128 Galaxy OC to 405*805 www.galaxy-hk.com

i play lot of games, but i also do a lot of video converting and editing e,t,c

what cpu should i go for next i want it fast but not stupidly priced like a £500 ($1000) p4 4.0ghz or fx55

and whats the best motherboard with that cpu plus what type of ram?

Recommendations would be gratefull thx.

AMD XP2600
DFI Lanparty nf 2U
512 333
Thermaltake B 480watt.6800 128 Galaxy

More about : good cpu speed

October 17, 2004 4:28:01 PM

with your setup, I'd just upgrade the RAM and o/c that CPU a little more

October 17, 2004 4:55:32 PM

I agree, if I were you i'd get 2 512 sticks of ddr400 and run your cpu at 200x12 or even higher. There is no point in buying a new cpu and mobo yet when you already have a decent setup. Even if you got an a64 w/ mobo you'd still only be getting a 10% increase for 300+$ IMO that's not worth it.

Watch out for the <b><font color=red>bloody</font color=red></b> Fanboys!

AMD64 2800+ :: MSI Neo-Fis2r :: 1024mb Kingmax ddr400 :: Sapphire 9800pro 128mb :: 10K WD Raptor

Addicted, finally.
Related resources
October 18, 2004 3:53:18 AM

You dont mention your graphics card. Your system looks quite good, get some more ram, and if poosible, a better graphics card.
If you are running 2 256mgb sticks of ram now, you can keep dual channel, by buying a 512 stick, and twinning the old stuff. You can even use pc3200, but you will have to use 166 fsb.
October 18, 2004 11:57:20 AM

i have a 6800 128mb 12pipline which ive unlocked all 16piplines with rivatuner its a galaxy.

i need a better cooler for my cpu if i want to oc it to 12 x 200 cpu gets unstable at 50C and the aero lite 7 jet cant keep it cool enough can you guys recommend a good cooler then thx.

AMD XP2600
DFI Lanparty nf 2U
512 333
Thermaltake B 480watt.6800 128 Galaxy
October 18, 2004 12:28:41 PM

Quote:
AMD XP2600 OC 14x166 2340mhz. Aero 7 cooler jet.

You already got a decent CPU! Like other suggested, you might get DDR400 ram to push your FSB higher, which would increase your overall performance.

A worth upgrade would be an Athlon 64 3400+/3500+ or P4 3.4GHz to really notice a GOOD improvment is speed overall.

You might get a 90nm Athlon 64 (the 3000+) and overclock it to 2.6GHz (or higher), this might be a "cheap" solution for better performance.

This article is very interesting :
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=224..." target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=224...;/A>

--
A7N8X / <font color=green><b>AMD Sempron 2800+</b></font color=green> <-- <i>Is this affecting my credibility???</i>
Kingston DDR333 2x256Megs
<font color=red>Radeon 8500 128Megs</font color=red> @ C:275/M:290
October 18, 2004 1:52:18 PM

therod

basically i will not see much improvement at all if i upgrade at the moment then.

also interesting link with the .09nano technology on a amd 64bit 3000 chip, overclocked that baby out did a fx53.

im not no stranger FOOL.
October 18, 2004 1:56:29 PM

ignore that last line sorry.
October 18, 2004 3:02:12 PM

Quote:
basically i will not see much improvement at all if i upgrade at the moment then.

I understand your situation. I'm "stuck" with my "old" Athlon 1800+ overclocked to Sempron 2800+ for a long time now. And I'm always on the upgrade or not upgrade questioning.

Basically, I always wait for the "killer" apps. I tought that FarCry was the one, but I found that my main problem was my GPU, so I wanted to change my GPU, but then I tought that I would really want a PCI-EXPRESS GPU (long term investment)... But, I really want an AMD64 and there is not any PCI-EXPRESS MB for AMD64 out yet. So, I keep waiting for nForce4 or the new VIA chipset (I personnaly prefer nForce).

And now, Half-Life 2 is almost there, maybe this game finally give me a good reason to "kill" my old tbred.

Quote:
also interesting link with the .09nano technology on a amd 64bit 3000 chip, overclocked that baby out did a fx53.

I will surely buy one of those Athlon 63 3000+ @ 90nm. By the way, if you want to upgrade for "cheap", you don't need DDR400. Athlon 64 running on DDR333 instead of DDR400 are only a few percent slower. I personnaly will only buy a MB+CPU+GPU for my next upgrade. I will only buy faster RAM if I find out that my DDR333 is really holding me back.

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam..." target="_new">Read this thread</A>, there is a discussion about DDR333 and A64 combo!

--
A7N8X / <font color=green><b>AMD Sempron 2800+</b></font color=green> <-- <i>Is this affecting my credibility???</i>
October 18, 2004 4:25:13 PM

Rod u are da man.

i am so in that dilemma shall i upgrade now or lata. with my 6800 i have no porblems in any games check out my 3dmark scores:
3dmark05 4090 sumthing
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=122636

3dmark03 10305
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3214780

But its Video conversions video editing stuff which is a pain in the neck it makes my blood boil making a DVD which takes 3 and a half hours to convert.

i will upgrade now if a processer does a conversion in 10mins flat for a full 4700mb dvd from avi.

i OC my cpu to 14.5x 166 but not always stable if i touch the fsb cuz ram suks ass so i need to upgrade from 512 anyway.

another dilemma is i brought a galaxy 6800 like 2 months ago if i get a new pro and motho i hope it comes with a agp slot in the future. do u guys think agp will still be about in a years time?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Corsair_XL.html
October 18, 2004 5:37:43 PM

Quote:
i will upgrade now if a processer does a conversion in 10mins flat for a full 4700mb dvd from avi.

Wow! You will not upgrade soon!

If your really need that much Video Processing power, you whould consider buying a P4, they are a bit faster than AMD at doing this, but in games they are slower...

Are you doing DivX to MPEG2 conversion? If you do this, you should consider D/L original MPEG2 of your movies on Bit Torrent (you don't loss quality and don't need to do conversion).

Quote:
i brought a galaxy 6800 like 2 months ago if i get a new pro and motho i hope it comes with a agp slot in the future. do u guys think agp will still be about in a years time?

AGP will be there as long as you keep a MB with AGP slot on it! It's not necessarly a bad move to buy high-end AGP card today if you have a future-prood system. In my situation, it would be a bit weird to get an AGP card when I know that I will buy a PCI-EXPRESS motherboard in a few months!

But, I personnaly think that X800/6800 are the last high-end AGP card we will see on the market. The next GPU generation will surely be PCI-EXPRESS only.

--
October 19, 2004 1:37:45 AM

Could some of you comment of my system ratings

Athlon Xp 2500 OC to 2.2 (400bus)
Soyo dragon Kt600 Running at 400 bus
3 X 512mb Corsair (value select) 400mhz running Ram
200 Gb 100 ata Hitachi
60 GB 100 Ata Maxtor
on board sound
Tnt 2 Riva 32mb Video (4 years ol')

I'm planning on upgrading video to a
Prolink (Pixelview in europe) FX 5200 with 128mb 128 bit.
Btw, anyone who has this card please commment.
October 19, 2004 1:47:18 AM

Do not get the 5200. It is a pos. Check in the graphics forum, people there are very helpfull.
October 19, 2004 12:18:57 PM

Your rig is good!

Quote:
Prolink (Pixelview in europe) FX 5200 with 128mb 128 bit.

1. The FX5200 is one of the WORST GPU ever made. To me, it's the worst GPU nVidia have ever made. Never buy one unless you pay less thant 5$ for it.

2. If you want to buy a LOW-END card, buy a 64Megs version, 128Megs is useless on these card, because the GPU is not powerful enough. The main bottleneck in LOW-END GPU is the GPU itself not the amount of onboard memory.

My cheapest recommendation for DX9.0 GPU in order :
1. Radeon 9600 PRO 128Megs
2. Radeon 9600 XT 128Megs
3. GeForce FX5700 128Megs (Radeon 9600 have better Image Quality)

A bit more budget :
1. Radeon 9800 PRO 128Megs
2. GeForce FX5900 XT 128Megs

Even more budget :
1. GeForce 6800GT
2. Radeon X800 PRO

If you really want to save money and don't need DX9.0 support, the GeForce TI4200 is a good choice, but for the long run it will become obsolete when games will require DX9.0 minumum to run!

--
October 19, 2004 5:11:58 PM

This kind of struck me as odd, also another reason why people are far more confused then necessary, and then wonder why they get bad results.
<b>It is important to pay attention to the ram recommendation here.</b>

Quote from SpitfireX86.
Quote:
I recommending following items
A64 3400+ (Newcastle, 2.4 GHz, 512k L2 cache)
MSI K8N Neo Platinum
2 x 512 MB Crucial Ballastix DDR400

Quote from Manhota
Quote:
is crucial better than kinston or corsair ram, if so what should i get?

Quote from SpitfireX86
Quote:
Many people here like Crucial Ballastix, but I have no personal experience with either Crucial or Corsair

Just out of curiosity why in the hell would you recommend a product you have no experiance with based off of other peoples oppinions, when most of us are aware that when someone says that something is better it is usually just their oppinion. Its Hearsay ROFL
Yes that was a shot.
Doesnt that sort of stuff bring your reputation, and validity into question?

Naw im just playing, i would have to be a real immature DICK to mean all that shiz.
O_o
However it seemed a good opportunity to point out that this is the typical sort of response we see on this forum, and how ridiculous and unnecessary it all is.

Thanks for being a good sport.

<b><font color=blue>Co-Founder and Administrator of Toms Hardware IRC</font color=blue></b>
<b><font color=red>
Server: hub1.oddnet.net
Channel: #Tomshardware
</b></font color=red>
October 19, 2004 5:51:31 PM

Excuse me, are you just looking to pick up a fight? If you don't like this, then just leave the forums. Because this is how it works.

There's no one in this forum who has used all of the stuff he recommends/thinks good. Everybody of us depend on reviews and other people's experience to judge a product.

Become a wise person and start asking retailers for the real realiable info.

------------
<A HREF="http://www.foood.net" target="_new">FOOOD's Icons</A>

<A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig</A> & <A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/benchmark.html" target="_new">3DMark score</A>
October 19, 2004 6:02:14 PM

retailers are £$%^&*. all they want to do is make the best profit plus most dont know s&%t, so i suppose asking endusers in forums like this is are last hope for the truth about products.

Retailers ive noticed jusy mostly lie to make most profit.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Corsair_XL.html
October 19, 2004 6:12:11 PM

heya Spitfire;

I said i wasnt serious, not only that but you didnt even comprehend what i was doing, but since you wanna get all rilled up about it and make a scene, and be rude then i will be rude as well, what is the level of your comprehensive abilities, that of a 2nd grader?
See how rude that is? thats what im talking about, i bet you still missed the point i was trying to make, i will spell it out for you.
I was using my own rude response as an exmaple of the typical response of certain people on this forum that make it unpleasant at times, i just used you as my punching bag for the example, what you said was irelevant other then it was a starting point for my point, it wasnt even a shot at you personally, again it wasnt even aimed at you...did you even read the post or did your face turn red with anger, and you saw what you wanted to see, re-read it, i think you will get a very different read the second time around ROFL, oh and next time atleast try and comprehend what was said before you fly off the handle.
Oh and btw, you think just because you have more posts then me that you deserve to be here more then someone with less posts, hahahahaha, ive been posting here for years, as long as you have, just because i dont have 5000 posts doesnt mean im any less a part of this community then anyone else, or less valued, there are people here that litterally have 4x the amount of posts you do which would according to the way you are thinking and behaving you are a friggin newbie compared to them, but i doubt they see others with a low post count as newbies, the amount of posts you have mean jack shiz, i dont see Crashman saying things like "STFU" or "if you dont like it you can leave" or other immature shiz like that, its not how many posts you have but what you know period, so get off your high horse, what you did in your response was just another example of the behavior im talking about.

<b><font color=blue>Co-Founder and Administrator of Toms Hardware IRC</font color=blue></b>
<b><font color=red>
</b></font color=red>
October 19, 2004 7:47:54 PM

Sorry if I have offended you. BTW, now you've brought the "postcount" thing. Did my rude reply had anything to do with postcount or "seniority".

I think the original poster who asked for help doesn't expect us to have personal experience with all of our recommended products. How much he values our opinions is enitirely upto him. Your post didn't contribute anything useful.

Again, sorry for my rude post.

------------

<A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig</A> & <A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/benchmark.html" target="_new">3DMark score</A>
October 19, 2004 8:10:31 PM

heya spitfire;

Well its not that my post didnt contribute to anything usefull, it just didnt contribute to anything usefull on this particular post.

btw i appreciate the gesture of the appology. I also appologize for using you as a punching bag for one of my examples, but as afore mentioned it wasnt aimed at you, instead through you, i can easily see how that could be misconstrued.

<b><font color=red>
</b></font color=red>
October 19, 2004 9:46:29 PM

I know that I will regret this but; not only am I a newbie to this forum, but I am a newbie period. I have been posting questions right and left, and getting very useful input "Most of it anyway". From a newbie point of view this is the kind of thread that runs new people off. So I guess if that is the goal, then keep on with the tension! I make important decsions based on the advice that I receive here. This is not the first forum that I have posted questions in, but it is by far the very best. I hope things dont get so serious that the quality and the humor goes to crap! Or is it Crappness? Im still confused about the difference of the two!!!!!!!!!!!! Yall do have a good thing going here, keep it real.
October 19, 2004 10:35:51 PM

Well, this kind of "side-battle" is not unusual in some threads. But you should be happy because this one was only 4 posts long (I think it's the minimum length for a side-battle). These stuff often grow insanely and kill the whole thread.

------------

October 19, 2004 11:18:32 PM

Xeen had a very good point. It's real easy to just "parrot" things you've heard, but it can also be very misleading. Memory that may run fine in Crashman's Soyo Black Dragon good go bonkers on an A64 rig. Prescotts run real hot, right? Well, the new ones run a good 10C cooler than the first ones that could fry hamburgers. Etc, etc. It was a good discussion and they both made their points. If it "scares you", don't go "trick or treating!" :lol: 
And please, if you ever hear me comment about the abilities of an FX-55, kick me in the groin because I've never even seen one.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot
October 19, 2004 11:49:39 PM

Quote:
The FX5200 is one of the WORST GPU ever made

Isn't it GF<b>4</b>MX the worst GPU ever made? :wink:
October 20, 2004 12:43:31 AM

The 5200 is an MX, it's just been further hobbled by an attempt to include Dx9.
October 20, 2004 12:47:10 AM

For your information, Spitfire is one of the best investigators on this or any other forum. If he recommends something, it is based on solid information. He has posted views different than mine, but his points are usually valid.
October 20, 2004 12:40:35 PM

Quote:
Isn't it GF4MX the worst GPU ever made?

At least the GF4MX never pretended to be more thant what it was! FX5200 is so slow in DX9.0 that it should not carry the DX9.0 compatible sticker!

--
October 20, 2004 2:19:24 PM

heya Spitfire_x86;

Bah! we can do better then that dont you think?

Your mom wears combat boots!

ROFL
O_o

<b><font color=red>
</b></font color=red>
October 21, 2004 1:02:29 AM

That is the lamest lie I have ever seen. They are combat sneekers
October 21, 2004 3:32:52 PM

hahahahaha!

<b><font color=red>
</b></font color=red>
!