Dell shipping story

Here's a curiosity regarding Dell shipping.

I placed an order a few weeks ago (Small Business Server division, if
that matters), and they gave me an estimated shipping date of June 28.
From prior Dell orders, I knew that was probably overly conservative,
so wasn't surprised when I got an email June 25 saying the order had
shipped on Jun 24, 3-5 day delivery, with an estimated delivery date
of June 29. I checked Dell's online database, which concurred,
showing my order status as "Shipping Prep: Thursday June 24" and "Ship
Date: Thursday June 24".

Being Friday afternoon June 25, I checked the UPS tracking number. I
was puzzled that there was no Texas pickup shown, the first entries
were "Origin Scan" and "Billing Information Received", both on
Thursday afternoon, and both in Richmond California (which is the west
coast UPS hub nearest my location)! The latest entry was "Out for
Delivery" Friday morning. While I sat there puzzling whether this
could be correct, the UPS truck pulled up outside my door!

So, is there a Dell assembly facility in the East Bay that I didn't
know about, or did Dell stealth ship this under the radar and make it
look like it came from Richmond?
11 answers Last reply
More about dell shipping story

    Dell uses private shippers to ship collections of machines to major UPS
    hubs. UPS rarely 'knows' about the machine until a day or two before
    delivery.

    Tom
    "dg1261" <dg1261nojunk@cs.com> wrote in message
    > Here's a curiosity regarding Dell shipping.
    >
    > I placed an order a few weeks ago (Small Business Server division, if
    > that matters), and they gave me an estimated shipping date of June 28.
    > From prior Dell orders, I knew that was probably overly conservative,
    > so wasn't surprised when I got an email June 25 saying the order had
    > shipped on Jun 24, 3-5 day delivery, with an estimated delivery date
    > of June 29. I checked Dell's online database, which concurred,
    > showing my order status as "Shipping Prep: Thursday June 24" and "Ship
    > Date: Thursday June 24".
    >
    > Being Friday afternoon June 25, I checked the UPS tracking number. I
    > was puzzled that there was no Texas pickup shown, the first entries
    > were "Origin Scan" and "Billing Information Received", both on
    > Thursday afternoon, and both in Richmond California (which is the west
    > coast UPS hub nearest my location)! The latest entry was "Out for
    > Delivery" Friday morning. While I sat there puzzling whether this
    > could be correct, the UPS truck pulled up outside my door!
    >
    > So, is there a Dell assembly facility in the East Bay that I didn't
    > know about, or did Dell stealth ship this under the radar and make it
    > look like it came from Richmond?

    Okay, that would explain why there's nothing in the UPS record before
    it showed up at the west coast hub.

    But what do you make of the fact Dell's online status record showed
    shipping-prep the same day it was origin-scanned in Richmond CA?
    Surely it must have taken more than a few hours between shipping-prep
    (in TX, I presume?) and when it showed up in CA. Has Dell
    misrepresented it as being in shipping-prep days after it had already
    left their facility? If so, the online status record would seem to be
    more PR gimmick than genuine information.

    "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
    > Dell uses private shippers to ship collections of machines to major
    > UPS hubs. UPS rarely 'knows' about the machine until a day or two
    > before delivery.

    > "dg1261" <dg1261nojunk@cs.com> wrote:
    > > ... I checked Dell's online database, which concurred, showing
    > > my order status as "Shipping Prep: Thursday June 24" and "Ship
    > > Date: Thursday June 24".
    > >
    > > Being Friday afternoon June 25, I checked the UPS tracking
    > > number. I was puzzled that there was no Texas pickup shown,
    > > the first entries were "Origin Scan" and "Billing Information
    > > Received", both on Thursday afternoon, and both in Richmond
    > > California (which is the west coast UPS hub nearest my
    > > location)! The latest entry was "Out for Delivery" Friday
    > > morning. While I sat there puzzling whether this could be
    > > correct, the UPS truck pulled up outside my door!
    > >
    > > So, is there a Dell assembly facility in the East Bay that I
    > > didn't know about, or did Dell stealth ship this under the radar
    > > and make it look like it came from Richmond?

    Dell's entire order status system is a joke. Completely useless.

    > Okay, that would explain why there's nothing in the UPS record before
    > it showed up at the west coast hub.
    >
    > But what do you make of the fact Dell's online status record showed
    > shipping-prep the same day it was origin-scanned in Richmond CA?
    > Surely it must have taken more than a few hours between shipping-prep
    > (in TX, I presume?) and when it showed up in CA. Has Dell
    > misrepresented it as being in shipping-prep days after it had already
    > left their facility? If so, the online status record would seem to be
    > more PR gimmick than genuine information.

    I cannot believe I'm reading this! A non positive Dell comment by Tom???
    > Dell's entire order status system is a joke. Completely useless.
    >
    > Tom
    > "dg1261" <dg1261nojunk@cs.com> wrote in message
    > > Okay, that would explain why there's nothing in the UPS record before
    > > it showed up at the west coast hub.
    > >
    > > But what do you make of the fact Dell's online status record showed
    > > shipping-prep the same day it was origin-scanned in Richmond CA?
    > > Surely it must have taken more than a few hours between shipping-prep
    > > (in TX, I presume?) and when it showed up in CA. Has Dell
    > > misrepresented it as being in shipping-prep days after it had already
    > > left their facility? If so, the online status record would seem to be
    > > more PR gimmick than genuine information.

    You haven't been reading my posts well, have you. Dell has numerous areas
    of pain. Their service has definately fallen. I understand that service
    will fall for a $399 computer, but the fact is that it has.

    Stop selectively reading and you'll understand my position better.
    "Hal Fore" <hal223@aol.com> wrote in message
    > I cannot believe I'm reading this! A non positive Dell comment by Tom???
    > > Dell's entire order status system is a joke. Completely useless.
    > >
    > > Tom
    > > "dg1261" <dg1261nojunk@cs.com> wrote in message
    > > > Okay, that would explain why there's nothing in the UPS record before
    > > > it showed up at the west coast hub.
    > > >
    > > > But what do you make of the fact Dell's online status record showed
    > > > shipping-prep the same day it was origin-scanned in Richmond CA?
    > > > Surely it must have taken more than a few hours between shipping-prep
    > > > (in TX, I presume?) and when it showed up in CA. Has Dell
    > > > misrepresented it as being in shipping-prep days after it had already
    > > > left their facility? If so, the online status record would seem to be
    > > > more PR gimmick than genuine information.

    We have purchased three computers from Dell and none of the orders appeared
    correctly on the Dell online status page.
    Tom Scales is absolutely correct.
    "Dell's entire order status system is a joke. Completely useless."

    "dg1261" <dg1261nojunk@cs.com> wrote in message
    > Okay, that would explain why there's nothing in the UPS record before
    > it showed up at the west coast hub.
    >
    > But what do you make of the fact Dell's online status record showed
    > shipping-prep the same day it was origin-scanned in Richmond CA?
    > Surely it must have taken more than a few hours between shipping-prep
    > (in TX, I presume?) and when it showed up in CA. Has Dell
    > misrepresented it as being in shipping-prep days after it had already
    > left their facility? If so, the online status record would seem to be
    > more PR gimmick than genuine information.
    >
    > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
    > > Dell uses private shippers to ship collections of machines to major
    > > UPS hubs. UPS rarely 'knows' about the machine until a day or two
    > > before delivery.
    >
    > > "dg1261" <dg1261nojunk@cs.com> wrote:
    > > > ... I checked Dell's online database, which concurred, showing
    > > > my order status as "Shipping Prep: Thursday June 24" and "Ship
    > > > Date: Thursday June 24".
    > > >
    > > > Being Friday afternoon June 25, I checked the UPS tracking
    > > > number. I was puzzled that there was no Texas pickup shown,
    > > > the first entries were "Origin Scan" and "Billing Information
    > > > Received", both on Thursday afternoon, and both in Richmond
    > > > California (which is the west coast UPS hub nearest my
    > > > location)! The latest entry was "Out for Delivery" Friday
    > > > morning. While I sat there puzzling whether this could be
    > > > correct, the UPS truck pulled up outside my door!
    > > >
    > > > So, is there a Dell assembly facility in the East Bay that I
    > > > didn't know about, or did Dell stealth ship this under the radar
    > > > and make it look like it came from Richmond?

    Now we are beginning to agree. I too would expect Dell service to fall for a
    $399 computer; but NOT for a $3000 computer.

    > You haven't been reading my posts well, have you. Dell has numerous areas
    > of pain. Their service has definately fallen. I understand that service
    > will fall for a $399 computer, but the fact is that it has.
    >
    > Stop selectively reading and you'll understand my position better.
    > "Hal Fore" <hal223@aol.com> wrote in message
    > > I cannot believe I'm reading this! A non positive Dell comment by Tom???
    > > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > > > Dell's entire order status system is a joke. Completely useless.
    > > >
    > > > Tom
    > > > "dg1261" <dg1261nojunk@cs.com> wrote in message

    Therein lies the fundamental problem. They need tiered levels of service.

    Although it is darn hard to spend $3000 now.
    "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Now we are beginning to agree. I too would expect Dell service to fall for
    > $399 computer; but NOT for a $3000 computer.

    > > You haven't been reading my posts well, have you. Dell has numerous
    areas
    > > of pain. Their service has definately fallen. I understand that service
    > > will fall for a $399 computer, but the fact is that it has.

    Our last Dell was a "loaded" D8200 that was purchased just after they came
    out. It totaled out with shipping at $2956. That's close enough to $3000 for
    me. >g<
    Again we agree. In my opinion, Dell needs to offer some type of "tiered"
    service levels for their consumer home/home office computers. If they did,
    we would still be a Dell customer.
    As I have repeatedly posted; I have no major complaints with Dell hardware,
    ONLY their service and support. More accurately, the lack there of.

    > Therein lies the fundamental problem. They need tiered levels of service.
    >
    > Although it is darn hard to spend $3000 now.
    > "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Now we are beginning to agree. I too would expect Dell service to fall
    for
    > > $399 computer; but NOT for a $3000 computer.
    > >
    > > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > > > You haven't been reading my posts well, have you. Dell has numerous
    > areas
    > > > of pain. Their service has definately fallen. I understand that
    service
    > > > will fall for a $399 computer, but the fact is that it has.

    From past experience, I know the online status system is seldom useful
    because it is not updated in a timely manner. But I guess I just
    never looked that closely because it was never up to date. I don't
    know whether this was deliberate, but if they're deliberately posting
    false information, that seems troubling.

    "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > We have purchased three computers from Dell and none of the orders appeared
    > correctly on the Dell online status page.
    > Tom Scales is absolutely correct.
    > "Dell's entire order status system is a joke. Completely useless."

    I will give you our experiences as an example. This is just our experiences,
    but others have expressed similar problems with the online status page.

    We have bought three computers from Dell.

    In one case, the status page showed the computer to be in the final stages
    of production(burn in, etc) the day it was delivered.

    In one case, the status page indicated that it was Pre-production when it
    was delivered.

    And in the last case(by far the worst), the status page indicated that the
    computer had been shipped. We received it a month later after dozens of
    phone calls and emails.

    In short, I have to totally agree with Tom Scales, who posted the comment:

    > From past experience, I know the online status system is seldom useful
    > because it is not updated in a timely manner. But I guess I just
    > never looked that closely because it was never up to date. I don't
    > know whether this was deliberate, but if they're deliberately posting
    > false information, that seems troubling.
    >
    > "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > > We have purchased three computers from Dell and none of the orders
    appeared
    > > correctly on the Dell online status page.
    > > Tom Scales is absolutely correct.
    > > "Dell's entire order status system is a joke. Completely useless."

Dell Computers