Stern battery holders and wire ties

After replacing the batteries in my TSPP, I'm wondering if anybody
bothers to replace the nylon wire tie that straps the battery holder
down to the board. It's a pretty stupid design. No easy way to
replace the wire tie without removing the board, since it threads
through two small holes in the PCB. The battery holder appears to be
held only by two through hole terminals, and I'm worried that vibration
will fatigue them.

Thoughts?

h_h

Blob of silicone on the back side (between holder and board) is a quick fix.
Or some double-sided foam tape.

Haven't ever had any problems with these, but then we usually remove the
factory batteries and install a remote-mount kit in most all the games we
sell, so this avoids vibration-related issues.

If you're handy, you can sometimes release the wire tie by using a small
flat blade screwdriver to "undo" it, then re-connect after replacing the
batteries.

But overall, I haven't ever heard of any problems with these even after many
years of use.

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

"heckheck" <jsurf@heckheck.com> wrote in message
> After replacing the batteries in my TSPP, I'm wondering if anybody
> bothers to replace the nylon wire tie that straps the battery holder
> down to the board. It's a pretty stupid design. No easy way to
> replace the wire tie without removing the board, since it threads
> through two small holes in the PCB. The battery holder appears to be
> held only by two through hole terminals, and I'm worried that vibration
> will fatigue them.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> h_h

I would remove the holder completely and
remote mount it.

(At the bottom of the backbox...)

--
Fred
TX

In article <1125603049.751133.324360@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
heckheck <jsurf@heckheck.com> wrote:
>After replacing the batteries in my TSPP, I'm wondering if anybody
>bothers to replace the nylon wire tie that straps the battery holder
>down to the board. It's a pretty stupid design. No easy way to
>replace the wire tie without removing the board, since it threads
>through two small holes in the PCB. The battery holder appears to be
>held only by two through hole terminals, and I'm worried that vibration
>will fatigue them.

>Thoughts?

You won't have vibration like that from game play - IIRC the wire tie was
added because we had some batteries come loose in shipping (especially
games on the boat to Europe). It caused trouble in multiple ways - as a
loose object, and as a game arriving without batteries.

Orin

--
Orin Day | Women's Basketball Photos at http://www.dwhoops.com
lobster @ |