Stern backbox lighting

I am hoping to find the person that posted this or someone that is better at
googling then myself to help. Someone had posted about modifying their
backbox fluorescent lighting in a Stern to cut down on glare. They made
some kind of shield to cut down on the glare. I tried googling it but
didn't find the post I was looking for. I did find these posts below but
not what I am looking to get involved with yet, Maybe someday though.
Anybody have a extra Williams head lightboard? Thanks for any help. -Mike

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/browse_frm/thread/deaf7fe8e29f1cde/ce9198926d8370a7?q=fluorescent+stern&rnum=3&hl=en#ce9198926d8370a7

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/browse_frm/thread/e56f6b7ae0e84f3/cd42743dda065969?q=fluorescent+stern&rnum=4&hl=en#cd42743dda065969

I've seen Tim Hanian's TSPP and the difference is Mega!

GRY

"Mike & Tiff" <mtlew@(no spam)charter.net> wrote in message
>I am hoping to find the person that posted this or someone that is better
>at
> googling then myself to help. Someone had posted about modifying their
> backbox fluorescent lighting in a Stern to cut down on glare. They made
> some kind of shield to cut down on the glare. I tried googling it but
> didn't find the post I was looking for. I did find these posts below but
> not what I am looking to get involved with yet, Maybe someday though.
> Anybody have a extra Williams head lightboard? Thanks for any help. -Mike
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/browse_frm/thread/deaf7fe8e29f1cde/ce9198926d8370a7?q=fluorescent+stern&rnum=3&hl=en#ce9198926d8370a7
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/browse_frm/thread/e56f6b7ae0e84f3/cd42743dda065969?q=fluorescent+stern&rnum=4&hl=en#cd42743dda065969

I just took 2 pieces of plain 8 1/2" x 11" paper and rolled them
arround the tube and then a little tape.......

It did what I wanted it to do....reduce the amount of light and make it
so you can not see the tube thru the translight.

It has been on my TSPP & RCT for years.....plus it was FREE and easy

Steve
Big Bear, Ca

frenchy

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004

I just sprayed one side of the bulb with beige-ish yellowish paint. If
I get tired of that I can just turn the bulb around. Wow cost me about
1/100th of a cent. Actually I just did it to try a warmer,
incandescent look. The translite on LOTR in particular has never
bothered me a whit as far as glare, it is has such dark-backgrounded
art, and the playfield is so well lit up (like that row of lights up
top) that once the game boots up the reflection of the translite
disappears. Something like TSPP or Monopoly might be a different
story....Frenchy

Hi,

I posted this technique that I used a while ago- I could not find it myself
by googling. It's cheap, easy and safe.

Buy a length of the shatter guard tubing for fluorescent tubes- they sell it
at home centers in 8 foot lengths.
Cut it to fit the length of your lamp.
Now get a can of white spray paint. Plain old Krylon gloss white works
fine.
Put the tube down on some newspaper and use a couple of small pieces on the
inside at the ends to keep it from rolling around on the newspaper.
Shake the can and spray from about 16-20 inches DIRECTLY ABOVE the tube,
pointing straight down, sweeping from end to end ONLY.
The idea is to have full coverage on one side of the tube, no coverage on
the side down on the newspaper and coverage on the sides that tapers in
density.

Now let it dry and try it out. Put it in with the painted side facing out
towards the translite. You need to use a pretty thick coating, so you may
need to go back a few times and put on more coats of paint.

What it does is reduce the amount of light that comes straight at you,
allows light to go out the back, top and bottom of the tube, and diffuses it
all.

A good way to compare the light output of your Stern games and your other
games is to take a digital photo of the lit-up games in a dark room. The
differences stand out. Before my Stern games looked like a bright stripe
across the backbox- now they are fairly evenly lit and the same brightness
as the others.

An ivory colored paint, or even a mist coat of yellow could mimic the light
from incandescent bulbs.

I'm sure others will give you other ideas, or maybe improve on my idea.

Hope this helps.

Don

"Mike & Tiff" <mtlew@(no spam)charter.net> wrote in message
>I am hoping to find the person that posted this or someone that is better
>at
> googling then myself to help. Someone had posted about modifying their
> backbox fluorescent lighting in a Stern to cut down on glare. They made
> some kind of shield to cut down on the glare. I tried googling it but
> didn't find the post I was looking for. I did find these posts below but
> not what I am looking to get involved with yet, Maybe someday though.
> Anybody have a extra Williams head lightboard? Thanks for any help. -Mike
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/browse_frm/thread/deaf7fe8e29f1cde/ce9198926d8370a7?q=fluorescent+stern&rnum=3&hl=en#ce9198926d8370a7
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/browse_frm/thread/e56f6b7ae0e84f3/cd42743dda065969?q=fluorescent+stern&rnum=4&hl=en#cd42743dda065969

Don,
Thank you that was the post I wanted to see :) Not sure what shatter
guard tubing for fluorescent tubes is but hopefully Home Depot has it. Any
chance you could take a picture of it in your game? thanks -Mike
"Don Caldwell" <djcaldwell@ameritech.net> wrote in message
> [...]
light
> from incandescent bulbs.
>
> I'm sure others will give you other ideas, or maybe improve on my idea.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Don
>

> "Mike & Tiff" <mtlew@(no spam)charter.net> wrote in message
> >I am hoping to find the person that posted this or someone that is better
> >at
> > googling then myself to help. Someone had posted about modifying their
> > backbox fluorescent lighting in a Stern to cut down on glare. They made
> > some kind of shield to cut down on the glare. I tried googling it but
> > didn't find the post I was looking for. I did find these posts below
but
> > not what I am looking to get involved with yet, Maybe someday though.
> > Anybody have a extra Williams head lightboard? Thanks for any

Mike,

I'm not sure of the name, but i have seen it at stores like Home Depot.
It's in the lighting department. You can always call before you go.

If yours has not been misplaced or removed, there should be a tube around
the bulb in your game. There was in my South Park, Kelly Packard Golden Cue
and in my Simpson's. You can always use that.

I'll send the photos directly to you. No place to post them to, yet. The
didn't come out great. South Park is still a bit brighter than a game lit
with bulbs, but it's not so annoyingly bright like it comes from the
factory, and the light is more even. Still very 'flourescent" colored,
though. Maybe you will do better! Try a coat or two of yellow.

Don

> [...]
>> from incandescent bulbs.
>>
>> I'm sure others will give you other ideas, or maybe improve on my idea.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Don
>>

>> "Mike & Tiff" <mtlew@(no spam)charter.net> wrote in message
>> >I am hoping to find the person that posted this or someone that is
>> >better
>> >at
>> > googling then myself to help. Someone had posted about modifying their
>> > backbox fluorescent lighting in a Stern to cut down on glare. They
>> > made
>> > some kind of shield to cut down on the glare. I tried googling it but
>> > didn't find the post I was looking for. I did find these posts below
> but
>> > not what I am looking to get involved with yet, Maybe someday though.
>> > Anybody have a extra Williams head lightboard? Thanks for any

I'm going to try one w/ cream or buff colored paper ansd see if it "warms"
the light at all. Free, huh? I hope you are not snitching officce
supplies! ;o)

Don