Sign in with
Your question

Generic hp printer driver

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
September 15, 2011 1:55:23 AM

I'm trying to hook up a printer to a W2K laptop. When looking for the driver for the printer I found out that this particular printer doesn't have a driver for anything below XP.

Is there a generic hp printer driver around to print out just text only. I tried to use the add printer function to add a generic printer but it won't work with the program I'm using. I keep getting "printer error 308".

Any help would be appreciated.

J Eiermann

More about : generic printer driver

September 16, 2011 1:37:47 AM

psyxix said:
My question is : How the heck are you below XP?? It's the most undemanding OS ever 0_0.
Anyway, here is probably your solution :
http://h20271.www2.hp.com/SMB-AP/cache/380442-0-0-14-12...

As for the OS question it is on a laptop computer I was given free. It is so old it won't run anything more modern. :) 

Tried your solution and no luck. It's lowest OS is also XP.

Thanks anyhow,

Jack
Related resources
September 28, 2011 6:32:14 PM

psyxix said:
What??? You're giving up.
Here is something else :
http://h20338.www2.hp.com/hpsub/cache/412513-0-0-225-12...

Tell me if this works.

Sorry it took so long to reply. Busy and been on vacation. I followed that link but I came upon a page that has many choices in two categories. One is Driver - Product Installation Software and the other is Software - Universal Print Driver. Any assistance is appreciaed.

Jack
September 28, 2011 9:31:24 PM

Click the green button (Download). And download the Driver, this is what's lacking in your case. I think the first one on top will do.
September 28, 2011 10:17:07 PM

psyxix said:
Click the green button (Download). And download the Driver, this is what's lacking in your case. I think the first one on top will do.

Unreal, that link has become bad since this morning.

Jack
September 30, 2011 6:47:57 PM

OOOOOPS!!!!!!! :(  I blew it.........it should be printer error 380 and not printer error 308.

Sorry

Jack
September 30, 2011 7:01:08 PM

I thought error 380 was a graphics issue
September 30, 2011 7:53:54 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
I thought error 380 was a graphics issue

That is the number I saw this morning when I attempted to run the program again.

I contacted the person that wrote the program and he was no help. It is a program he wrote for a model railroad club to help with simulating life like operations. Taking a train of cars from a yard, parking them in the proper spots on the layout and bringing back the cars that where picked up. TMI right.

The program works off a USB stick. It work ok on my XP desktop but not on my W2K ancient laptop. In the past I tried to load a printer driver for my printer on the laptop but there isn't a driver lower than XP available. So I was trying to use a "generic" printer driver which I selected from "add a printer" option. It worked fine when I installed the printer and printed a test page which reported that if you can read this you installed it properly.

When it came to using it with the RR program it won't work resulting the in the printer error 380. I suspect it is in the program but I'm not sure how to correct that. Maybe I could send the link to the program for somebody to inspect.

thanks,

Jack
!