Solved

Questions on oem liscense

I have a dell inspiron 560, and I recently just bought a new motherboard. As it ships in the mail ive been doing research and realized i have an oem liscence. Ive done some researd, none looking too positive about being able to use the same os without buying another..:(

What im asking- is there any way I can continue to use my OS without having to purchase another version? Reformating my hdd/ resetting parts on my comp is not an issue.
thanks
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about questions liscense
  1. If it wasnt OEM Win7 you could transfer motherboards and not have to re-install windows, however, if the OEM Licesnse key isnt out of uses, you can use it again when you re-install windows with your new motherboard
  2. so like would reformatting the hdd make it think it hasnt been used? or how should i make it so i can use it again? thanks
  3. Best answer
    OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^
  4. well that sucks
  5. Best answer selected by puddingman1192.
Ask a new question

Read More

Dell Inspiron OEM Motherboards Windows 7