Windows 7 and Vista

jhorgz

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
i have a laptop with pre installed Vista on it.. i upgrade to windows 7 ultimate, after installation i am trying to use the windows 7 product key but i always got this error message "error code 0xC004E003... i think the OEM bcoz of the preinstalled vista, how can i fix this? thank you..

How did you get Windows 7? Was it retail? Did you buy it from the MS website.

That code normally means Key already active on a system. If you tried to go back to Vista, I could see this happening. All you have to do is use the phone method and call MS to get that sorted.

For 7, We need more info here on how you obtained Win7.

With any luck, calling MS for phone activation is all you will have to do, but it is rare on a never installed before copy(but more common with copies that had been factory installed.).

You can reactivate your genuine Windows 7 installation by performing the following:

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in: "slui.exe 4" without the quotes, don't forget the 4.

2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.

3. Select your Country.

4. Follow the instructions for phone activation (no charge).

NOTE: When you call that number, you will first hear an Automated Voice. If the Automated Voice gives you an option to talk to a Live Activation Rep, select that option. If not, do not enter any numbers. This should force the Automated Voice to transfer you to a Live Activation Rep. Trying to activate thru the Automated Voice will not work, in your case, only thru the Live Activation Rep

jhorgz

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012

i bought a retail windows 7 only... so there's no other way i can use my windows 7 retail cd because of the pre installed key of the vista?... do i have to buy a genuine win7?