how long will it take for A64 price to fall?

Unseen

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003
AMD just had price cut on thier cpus I was wondering how long it would take to take full effect, I am mainly wondering about the A64 3400. According to AMD site the A64 3400 now is at $238 from $287. However, as of right now no stores have it at $238, lowest at $243 by pricewatch. A64 3400 2.4 ghz newcastle retail, the one I want, is still at $282 for retail.

Any clue on how long it might take to the price to down? I am hoping to build/upgrade to new comp very soon. And I really want to be buy 3400 at low price.

Xrock

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004
It is really up the the greedy retailers to lower the price. As I recalled, when the new video cards came out it was more expensive than the manufacture suggested price. People even E-bay those video card, luring in desperate prey to buy their over price goods.

Unseen

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003
well the AMD price for 3200 was like $240 according to AMD before the drop, but the retail stores were actaully selling for $201. I am hoping it would actaully end up under $238, like the 3200 prices was. But guess not sure if that will actually happen...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Greedy retailers, heh, most online retailers have profit margins well below 15%. They only overcharge for parts in short supply because they can, it helps them make up for losses on other parts. If you paid $283 for a CPU and AMD dropped the price to $238, you'd have to sell the CPU you just bought at a loss, or go out of business.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Xrock

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004
The retailer business is about greed no matter how you see it. Retailers are there to make profits and without greed there is no profits. If there no greed, then everybody would be hanging hands and singing a merry song all day long. The reality is, there are lawyers, government officials, and retailers who pratice on greed. Look at M$ or Microsoft; they are greedy and they have many layers. Those greedy bastard tend to stuck with each other. It does not matter you have little greed or a lot of greed, it is all the same thing. The worst kind of greed is when you brought an expensive product and the customer service is not there to help you when you have a problem.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Greed states that you will sell any product that has great availability as cheaply as you can, and offer the best support in the industry. You think not? Those are the ways you put competition out of business, and you make up for the lost percentage profit by selling a greater number of items.

And of course that doesn't work when there's limited availability, because if you do that under limited availability you'll sell out of the product and won't get more.

Imagine if I were one of the last people to leave town during a huricane and you were the ONLY gas station to have ANY fuel left because you charged more than everyone else, your greed could be my life saver!

You need to learn perspective!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Xrock

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004
I have plenty of perspective. For example, another man thrash is another man treasure. Also if you was the last people leaving and you purchase gas from me, then I still make profits no matter what. I will make profit from you and claim any loss/gain from the insurance company. Money from you, money from the insurance company and it all work out for me.
By the way, I did play the law of supply and demanding when I was in highschool. It all started with a Sneaker Candy Bar. Then selling sheeps to the farmers. I still believe greed is the best motivator for profits. Mass profits can be gain if you are almost a monopoly.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Greed is a great motivator, it's the reason comunism doesn't work. But greed can also make you do things that would normally go against the principle of greed, that is, greed can force you to lower prices, increase customer support, and generally be a good person/company, because of the financial rewards of doing good things.

Xrock

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004
Greed alone did not kill Communism. Communism has two wonderful reasons why it did not succeed in its goal. The other reason is corruption from low ranked officials to higher ranked officials. The USA is the biggest greed of all the nation. The reason why the USA politic did not crumble like Communism is because of regulations and the power to enforce it.
One way to stop greed is to go to bed and sleep. Maybe I will still be greedy in my sleep or dream, but at least I could be as greedy as I want.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Greed is the greatest motivation for achievement. The idea that people will do their best without any personal recognition in order to create a better society goes against human nature: Most people in the USSR failed to put forth any significant amount of effort towards their work because they didn't see anything in it for them. This idea is perpetuated by one of my friends, a Russian intelectual.

newdude

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2004
Currently the Athlon 64 3000 are $161.00 on newegg will that price probally go down more. Do you think the 3200(2.2 ghz 512 mb cache) might go down.

Unseen

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003
hmm this post turned into a communist vs greed thread...

Yeah, I think all amd cpu prices should drop some. The low end prices probably will drop only a few $$ though i guess.

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It's going to be tough to get much lower pricing when demand for raw materials is at an all-time high. Labor isn't getting any cheaper either, even in China. You wanna buy something you may as well buy it now or be "greedy" and wait for lower pricing that may never materialize.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

Xrock

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004
When I think about it, greed did not ruin Communist in Russian. It was the lack of greed that brings the Mother country down to its knee and too much corruption. What ironic is, Communist represents equal level for all employees. Everybody suppose to be equal and therefore eliminate greed. Yes, people instincts is to be greedy first because greed is a survivor mechanism and can also represent an easier life.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Exactly, Communsism doesn't work because it doesn't cater to greed. Greed killed comunism in that people kept their greed while being told they couldn't use it. Greed causes people who don't receive rewards to become lazy. Greed killed the USSR in the same way it built the USA, as a motivational tool.

Even preditory animals often kill more than they can eat. The left would say they don't, because that food goes to other animals, as if a lion actually INTENDS to help out hyinas! Quite the opposite, they take what they can and waste what they can't use, scavangers collect the waste, just as in any other greed based system.

El_Jefe_77

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004
Ok, I am not sure if anyone realized this, but russia was not a communist country, it was a military dictatorship and had a socialized system of medicine and social security.

It NEVER was a communist state, not ever. Moscovian russians had free license to become immensely wealthy off of the satelite states such as lithuania, latvia... eh you get the idea, basically, anything that was both farther away than a couple of hours drive to moscow and not in Russia, was considered cannon fodder. My friend was one of those elitist Russians, he was allowed to beat ethnic people in Riga Latvia to death if he wanted to at will without punishment when he was a teenager. The USSR was a pure greed setup that was a greed for power, for anti-religous fascism, for mind control and for neglect to those who weren't pure, urban dwelling russians.

It collapsed because no one was benefitting from it besides a few and it made for bad import/export business alliance/trade wise, so that a good portion of that elitist few started to not even benefit from it.

It is very true that greed fuels the US, and it is also true that we are fading out of existence, as we encourage businesses to drain any source, firstly our own country, in its pursuit of irrational wants of power and greed. Greed killed the USSR because it was founded on only greed and anti-religous fascism that strangely outweighed (quantitatively, not probably qualitatively) anything in horror, rape, torture and genocide that Germany ever accomplished in WWII era. The numbers are there for anyone who wants to read about it.

Greed hasnt killed us yet because so far, it has been tolerant and at times in the pre-1940's past, encouraging of some sorts of religion and moral value. However, we will fall, and we will fall painfully within the next century. We are less intelligent than Rome was, and our citizens have less rights than they did. Rome fell slowly, the US will fall dispationately and pathetically. I wouldnt be concerned about social security being there when you retire, id be more concerned to know if the country will be there....

just side notes from someone who has been around a long time.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The reason the U.S. is failing now (economically) is apathy, which couteracts greed. If workers were greedy enough about job security, they'd form an aliance to buy only american goods. Of course that aliance would only include a certain percentage of the population, so it wouldn't close the borders to imports. Where your greed takes you is based on where you fall in the economy.

Greed can kill the economy, but only when it's met with stupidity. The UAW has themselves forced many jobs out of the country, how else could it be less expensive to build cars in CANADA!

Protectionism is a form of greed the middle class and below used to understand, but somehow we've changed focus from "How much wealth can I accumulate" to "How much stuff can I buy". Yes, that's a result of marketting, corporate greed. But the fact is the many outweigh the few, the many need to get back to focussing on accumulation of wealth instead of disposable hard goods.

Apathy will be what kills the U.S., it was also a contributing factor in the fall of the Roman Empire AND the driving force behind production problems in the USSR. But in the USSR, apathy was driven by a lack of reward for service, ie working hard for nothing is appauling to greedy people.

Xrock

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004
I did not know you like the animal channel. I use the same method on my girl. In order for me to get her piece of meat I use nature as my weapon. It is easier for a woman to relate to nature because it more natural instead of force and beside a girl is more pure than guy. Nature can be do wonder when applying to your scheme of animal lust. Even women does it too, by wearing perfume, which is an animal product. If she is willing than the guy will tend to follow. If she is not in the mood, then sprinkle her with nature and tell here if it's natural for animals to make love, than making love is the basis of a relationship. The most important thing is to make sure she thinks she is in the control, but the one pulling the string is you. Rather than talking about actual action, talk about something that is indirectly related to the actual action. She probably said it is against her will, but she will cave in at the end. Persistent does pay off if done on a good taste.
Also talking about animal, the greediest animal is man. Who can kill an animal for sport, man. Who can make fashion of animal, man. Who can make another race of animal extinct, man.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Cats kill for the thrill of the hunt. Cats torture other animals without killing them, letting them go and recapturing them, to practice their skills. Many lower primates wage war and kill other primates in order to instill fear. Some lower primates even kill for revenge.

Man's wearing of animal skins reflects that he has increased adaptivity towards harsh climates. And many animals have become extinct after hunting their prey to extinction.

Evil is a human concept based on knowledge. Animals engage in similar behavior without such reservations.

Xrock

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004
Cats does kill for the thrill, but most of the time they will consume their prey and not just waste their kill. If Cats does practice their skill be letting go and recapturing other animals, then it is matter of their survival to hunt. Lower primates are like man and know how to be greedy by instilling fear or making war in order to protect their territory. Territory to an animal is wealth. It is rare to see primates kill for revenge, do they even know the concept of revenge?
Man does wear animal skin for protection, but also wear them for fashion and not for practical reason other than to look good. Most of the time man introduce foreign animal to native habitat and thus, making native creature extinct.
Yes, human is evil when the knowledge of what is right and wrong can be determine, but choose wrong instead. Also use the same knowledge to sprout out more evils without any remorse. Animal does it too, but mainly for survival.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Animals seem to know revenge in Africa, where chimps sneak into villages for the sole purpose of killing infants.

Even Hitler's evils were for, as he saw it, the benefit/survival of a species. He just used the human intellect to inflict more damage.

newdude

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2004
Okay guys this forum topic went completely in the wrong direction. How did you guys go from athlon price drops to comunist to animals. I think everyone just needs to relax and watch lost on wenesdays at 8 oclock.

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It's simple! A lot of the PC harware we are buying is made by Chinese Communists. The Chinese live in close proximity to their animals. What henceforth develops is swine flu! A direct assault on Democracy! All because we are greedy for the best pricing! If you get sick this year because of a lack of flu vaccine you only have yourself to blame.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
IT'S A CONSPIRACY! j/k d00d, this IS how I relax.