What NETBOOK should I buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyP41077

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
I am looking for a Netbook but cannot pull the trigger on one. My main concern is battery life. I would like the most battery life possible with the image decent enough to watch movies. This Netbook will be used mainly for flight travel. I do a lot of flying so I would like to be able to watch multiple movies on a flight. Cost is not a issue at all. I have looked at the MSI Wind U115 but I cannot seem to find it anywhere for sale. That would be the ideal Netbook but....

Can someone please help!!

Thanks.

Solution
If price is of no concern to you, then I think the best choice would be a UL30A laptop. It's under 4 lbs, and has excellent battery life, so that should last you at least two or three movies.

If weight is important, you can check out the EEE PC 1005PE : http://www.amazon.com/Seashell-1005PE-PU17-BK-10-1-Inch-Netbook-Battery/dp/tech-data/B00322PYZO/ref=de_a_smtd. It has really really nice battery life, but sometimes can not handle certain HD videos.

sidewinderx2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
If price is of no concern to you, then I think the best choice would be a UL30A laptop. It's under 4 lbs, and has excellent battery life, so that should last you at least two or three movies.

If weight is important, you can check out the EEE PC 1005PE : http://www.amazon.com/Seashell-1005PE-PU17-BK-10-1-Inch-Netbook-Battery/dp/tech-data/B00322PYZO/ref=de_a_smtd. It has really really nice battery life, but sometimes can not handle certain HD videos.

Solution

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
Hi there,

As mentioned, the Asus Eee is a great choice because it is so light and sleek. You might also want to check out the Dell Inspiron Mini 10. It has a really nice display!

What do you think?

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

MikeyP41077

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Thanks for the reply's. I actually have a Laptop already (HP Envy15) so that would not really be worth it to me to get another Laptop. I have been looking at those EEE PC's they look pretty good. As far as Dell goes I think I would go with the MSI Wind models instead of them. I am really not a fan of Dell. Have any of you heard of the MSI Wind u115? I cannot find it anywhere.

sidewinderx2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
The Wind seems kinda obscure, and it's also over a year old. In addition, the newer atom processors has the graphics core on die, which means more power savings, so you would probably do better by going with one of the new netbooks with the newer atom processors (the N 4XXs) If you want the performance benefits of the hybrid drive that the U115 have, you can check out the Western Digital Momentus XT drives, which has the SSD built in to act as a huge buffer for the HDD.

MikeyP41077

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Ok I was actually thinking the Hybrid drive with the wind for the shutdown of the main drive (storage) for the battery performance not just for speed benefits. I had no idea that the Winds were so old though. Performance is really not a factor much either. I would like something powerful but there really isn't a need for it. I just want to be able to have it run for atleast 6 hours strait while watching movies the whole time. Thanks for all your help.

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi there,

Are you going to be streaming the movies or playing DVDs? Keep in mind that the MSI and most other netbooks are not equipped with an optical drive. You may want to consider a laptop instead of a netbook.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Isabella

MikeyP41077

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
I am actually ripping the DVD's I have a HTPC that has over 2tb's of movies on it. I just transfer and play with Win Media Center. So i just transfer what I want to watch before I travel.

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi,

Sounds good! Have you read reviews of the netbooks? Reading reviews from actual users may help you determine which laptop is the best fit if you are still stuck between the two. If you want to see some other laptops that are available, check out PC Scout and search by netbook: http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/pc-scout/laptop-set-criteria.aspx?mode=landing#

Cheers,
Isabella

MikeyP41077

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Ya I have read a few but I most just say long battery life with display adjusted and not all have battery info so its tough. Just wanted to get a idea from here to see if anyone had a decent one.

Status
Not open for further replies.