Best Pins for Kids

Looking to purchase my first group of pins. While I'm aware of all the
Williams/Bally pins from the 90's I was wondering which games might
appeal to my young kids (and their friends), ages 7 & 8. Any
suggestions?
31 answers Last reply
More about best pins kids

    They will like gun games better. Kids all the way up into their teens
    flock to my old shooting gallery. But for pins they seem to all like my
    Creature best. I did notice that girls will play the EM's much more than
    the boys and the boys tend to like Funhouse or Batman Forever better
    than Creech but overall CFTBL gets the nod. DE Star Wars gets a lot of
    play too while Pinbot just sits there untouched. Not a lot of help, I
    know. sorry :)

    --
    Cliffy - CARGPB2
    A passion for pinball!

    My 4 year old daughter loves TSPP & RFM. Whenever my 8 & 10 year old
    nephews come over they always go for RFM. They also enjoy EBD. Not sure
    why...I think it's because it's very easy to understand what to do on
    the game, it's just doing it that's the problem!

    Good luck, Al
    pinballmick wrote:
    > Looking to purchase my first group of pins. While I'm aware of all the
    > Williams/Bally pins from the 90's I was wondering which games might
    > appeal to my young kids (and their friends), ages 7 & 8. Any
    > suggestions?

    Elvira :)

    Just kidding.

    How about Hook or FT

    Popeye?

    Andrew

    Vic Ireland wrote:
    > Mine (7 and 11) like Monster Bash, Cirqus Voltaire, Indiana Jones, and
    > Creature from the Black Lagoon best thus far. The youngest one
    > (girl) likes World Cup Soccer '94 as well. Both have had nothing more
    > than a passing interest in TZ, Addams Family, TAXI, and Data East Star
    > Wars, amongst others.
    >
    > On 1 Sep 2005 21:01:17 -0700, "pinballmick" <michaelpug@comcast.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Looking to purchase my first group of pins. While I'm aware of all the
    > >Williams/Bally pins from the 90's I was wondering which games might
    > >appeal to my young kids (and their friends), ages 7 & 8. Any
    > >suggestions?

    here is my current "active" lineup: STTNG, ToM, TZ, LOTR, RFM, FP. My
    daughter constantly gravitates to the RFM then to the ToM. Shge is 3

    Greg

    mine play pins over vids anyday, all pre 10 yr old. i have about 80
    vids, 35 pins, they choose the pins anyday, just pends what kid it is i
    guess.

    Kids don't like pins.

    Get them a high powered gaming PC(or build one with them) or an Xbox 3 when
    they come out and spring for some high speed internet access.

    They'll walk right past the pins.

    And you'll have more money to get the pins you and the bride want.

    Otto

    CARGPB11

    "pinballmick" <michaelpug@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Looking to purchase my first group of pins. While I'm aware of all the
    > Williams/Bally pins from the 90's I was wondering which games might
    > appeal to my young kids (and their friends), ages 7 & 8. Any
    > suggestions?

    Super Mario Brothers is fun.

    Revenge from Mars is a kid pleaser, too.

    --
    Fred
    TX

    "pinballmick" <michaelpug@comcast.net> wrote

    > Looking to purchase my first group of pins. While I'm aware of all the
    > Williams/Bally pins from the 90's I was wondering which games might
    > appeal to my young kids (and their friends), ages 7 & 8. Any
    > suggestions?

    Mousin around....
    pinballmick wrote:
    > Looking to purchase my first group of pins. While I'm aware of all the
    > Williams/Bally pins from the 90's I was wondering which games might
    > appeal to my young kids (and their friends), ages 7 & 8. Any
    > suggestions?

    Medieval Madness. Large castle to shoot at and when it exploded
    everyone finds it great.
    CV too, green ringmaster comes up and you have to hit him.

    Those 2 are the most popular in my gameroom for kids.
    Most of the other games I have they are not attracted to, or don't
    really like to play.

    The popularity of both games shows most of us still are kids I guess
    :-)

    Aeneas.
    --http://www.flippers.be

    wrote:

    >Looking to purchase my first group of pins. While I'm aware of all the
    >Williams/Bally pins from the 90's I was wondering which games might
    >appeal to my young kids (and their friends), ages 7 & 8. Any
    >suggestions?

    Black Tiger;
    My 10 yr old daughter loves EATPM ! BSD is too scary for her. My 11
    nephew plays the heck out of King of Diamonds, I guess because its easy
    to see what to do.

    DMDs are probably too complicated and the features too difficult to
    achieve for the average kid.

    >I was wondering which games might appeal to my
    >young kids (and their friends), ages 7 & 8

    (note- weed out suggestions that don't fit your budget)
    I would think about getting an EM for a little old school, maybe a
    CFTBL, TSPP, MM, LOTR, CV, NF, etc..

    My sister's kids like No Fear and CV quite a bit. My 14yo niece LOVES
    safecracker because it requires a little thinking on what best to do.
    They have a Jackbot that I gave them for xmas a few years ago that they
    like to play.

    The games they MOST play when over? Puck bowler, SFrush2049 driver
    (played non-stop), and get this...the booz barometer! The lowest tech,
    cheapest game I have. I was thinking of getting a cardboard box and a
    deck of cards for their next trip.

    Kirb

    Really depends on the kid. I have a friend with a child aged about 12
    years. He will play a couple of games of pinball and then go straight
    to the Dreamcast or Xbox. My nieces and nephews played more pinball in
    the weekend when they were up than I play in a year! They also played
    the Dreamcast (didn't have the Xbox then), but played x2 as much
    pinball :-)

    Duane
    Otto wrote:
    > Kids don't like pins.
    >
    > Get them a high powered gaming PC(or build one with them) or an Xbox 3 when
    > they come out and spring for some high speed internet access.
    >
    > They'll walk right past the pins.
    >
    > And you'll have more money to get the pins you and the bride want.
    >

    > Otto
    >
    > CARGPB11
    >
    > My web page: http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-Ottoslanding
    >

    > "pinballmick" <michaelpug@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > Looking to purchase my first group of pins. While I'm aware of all the
    > > Williams/Bally pins from the 90's I was wondering which games might
    > > appeal to my young kids (and their friends), ages 7 & 8. Any
    > > suggestions?

    My kids are young, ages 2 & 4, and LOVE Jurassic Park. They love it
    when the dinosaur eats the pinball :-) They will actually stop playing
    one of the other games and run over to watch. Same deal with Attack
    >From Mars, they love it when the Martians start jumping. No matter what
    they are doing, they run over to see that :-) My oldest sometimes asks
    me to get them jumping, so I play a ball to get everything started.
    They also loved Funhouse -- especially when Rudy spits the ball out.
    They also love TZ, but I think that is because it is my favorite game
    and they have "grown up" with it ;-)

    My current working line up includes: ST:TN*G, NG*G, C*V, AF*M, T*Z,
    I*J, J*P. I just got a near HOU Whirlwind and the kids love the fan as
    it basically throws air at their face.

    In the end, I think kids will enjoy any pin that has an interactive
    element -- gofers in N*GG, Ringmaster (called "Joker" in our house :-)
    in C*V, Martians in AF*M, -- as long as these elements are fairly easy
    to start. For example, my guys love the ball shooting out of the
    "spaceship" in ST:TNG, BUT they can never make it happen so that game
    lost it's appeal for them.

    Of all my games, they definately enjoy J*P the most with A*FM close
    behind and then NG*G and C*V next.

    In the end, I would suggest a game that incorporates a theme your kids
    enjoy and make sure you like the pin also, i.e. my kids love Batman,
    but I didn't buy one of the DOG Batman games instead I got a game I
    wanted and called the Ringmaster "Joker". In the case of J*P, they both
    love Dinosaurs, so I knew it would be a hite.

    BTW, when my nieces and nephews (boys aged 8 & 12, girl aged 10) came
    over for a visit at Christmas, I*J and T*Z were the fav for the boys
    while CV was the fav for the girl. I didn't have AF*M at that time and
    I think it would have been a hit for the boys.

    Lastly, you didn't mention budget. If budget is an issue, then J*P is a
    good choice as it is pretty cheap and damn fun. Rocky and Bullwinkle is
    another cheap and fun pin.

    Good luck!
    Duane

    Good luck!
    Duane

    >Any suggestions?

    Yep! One that can survive having the flippers flipped constantly!

    Simpons!
    I think Toddy even has one for sale

    ---
    Steve Kulpa (cargpb10 - sigh)
    Hermitage, TN
    http://www.geocities.com/stevekulpa/rgpidx.htm

    pinballmick wrote:
    > Looking to purchase my first group of pins. While I'm aware of all the
    > Williams/Bally pins from the 90's I was wondering which games might
    > appeal to my young kids (and their friends), ages 7 & 8. Any
    > suggestions?

    My son loves to play my Demo Man (it's the handles) and SW:ep1 and RFM.
    as well. He's a vidiot and will eventually evolve into a pinhead like
    his dad. He also thinks that Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh and Inu-Yasha would make
    great pin titles.

    Ahhhhh, the folly of youth.

    KMR

    pinballmick wrote:
    > Looking to purchase my first group of pins. While I'm aware of all the
    > Williams/Bally pins from the 90's I was wondering which games might
    > appeal to my young kids (and their friends), ages 7 & 8. Any
    > suggestions?

    Any EM game.

    Dave

    pinballmick wrote:
    > Looking to purchase my first group of pins. While I'm aware of all the
    > Williams/Bally pins from the 90's I was wondering which games might
    > appeal to my young kids (and their friends), ages 7 & 8. Any
    > suggestions?

    Any 60's or 70's EM game.

    Dave

    You got that right! Both of my girls continuously work both flippers.
    I have to keep telling them to wait for the ball to come down but
    mostly to no avail.

    Many thanks to all that responded. Was surprised to see so many CV
    suggestions. My "hit list" of pins to buy already included most of the
    pins suggested so it looks like if I end up with 3 or 4 on my list I
    should have one the kids will enjoy.

    My friends and cousins have kids in the same age range as yours. I
    like to observe which games in my collection they gravitate towards.
    They seem to like Scared Stiff and AFM most. They love the mothership
    and dancing aliens in AFM. They don't get the adult humor in SS, they
    just call it the Scary game. They love the spider, boogymen and frogs.
    They almost never play STTNG, TZ or Shadow (gone now). Luke warm on
    MM, IJ (gone now) or Whitewater. The boys love Hyperball.

    John

    In my experience, your kids are going to love any pin that this group
    hates. As an example, my 6 year old son and I were at a location that
    had about 20 pins within the last year. Among some of the games they
    had: TO@M, TSP@P, T@Z, D@M, SWEP@1, RF@M, and I@J. What did my son
    choose to play exclusively? A sorry little somewhat working Star Wars
    Trilogy in the corner!

    Sometimes my son will visit me at work. My office has a gameroom with
    TSP@P, Elvi@s and Congo. Guess which game my son chooses to play every
    time???

    At home, I have a T@Z, STTN@G, and J@P. The J@P gets the most play by
    far!

    Save yourself some cash, at least initially. Buy something fun, but
    not held in esteem by us collectors. They'll be plenty of opportunity
    to buy popular titles if it turns out your kids become pinheads!

    Each of these suggestions you should be able to find for under $1500
    (some much more so!):
    JP
    SW
    WCS94 (maybe a stretch for under 1500, but not by much...)
    SMB
    Congo
    Popeye
    BBBB (_NOT_ BBB!)
    Most Sega games (I actually like Apollo 13!)

    When I got into this hobby, it was for my (at the time) 4 year old. So
    far, I've been able to keep him off the Nintendo/Xbox/Dreamcast with my
    pinball lineup. (It helps that I've refused to buy any video console so
    far!) We allow him to play some MAME games on the family computer,
    because we can control which titles he plays. He always comes back to
    pinball. He's gotten rather good, and can beat me every once in a
    while now. That's what keeps me in the hobby, is the expression on his
    face when he takes down Dad!

    Best of luck,

    Gerry Manis.

    pinballmick wrote:
    > You got that right! Both of my girls continuously work both flippers.
    > I have to keep telling them to wait for the ball to come down but
    > mostly to no avail.
    >
    > Many thanks to all that responded. Was surprised to see so many CV
    > suggestions. My "hit list" of pins to buy already included most of the
    > pins suggested so it looks like if I end up with 3 or 4 on my list I
    > should have one the kids will enjoy.

    CV is certainly a hit with the kids. I did not see Flinstones
    mentioned, that is another one kids really like. Someone else already
    mentioned WCS and SC. I had a party once where the kids, ages 6-13,
    were actually LINED UP five deep to play SC in the assault mode. A
    couple of the kids were trying to put magic tokens in other games, it
    was quite a sight to see.

    Brian Bannon

    "pinballmick" <michaelpug@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Looking to purchase my first group of pins. While I'm aware of all the
    > Williams/Bally pins from the 90's I was wondering which games might
    > appeal to my young kids (and their friends), ages 7 & 8. Any
    > suggestions?

    My nephews, aged 7 and 9, prefer my Take*Five cocktail pinball (of 1979)
    over my T*Z or J*M, since for a casual (!) kid player modern pins are often
    too difficult, fast and have a complicated ruleset. The younger one
    especially liked the fact that he can see the ball all the time when playing
    this simple, older game.

    However, if they had these pins at home, they could learn fast and 'outgrow'
    the simple games. I'd say that the pin theme is also important for kids. I'd
    imagine these two would play any Star Wars pin to death, or a Harry Potter
    one or a Donald Duck one (if there was one).

    In my limited experience, kids love pinball. My nephews have had a Nintendo
    64 for years, a Gameboy Advance for a while and every now and then they play
    a game or two on PC. However, I'd say they like the same things in pins that
    we do (not talking about hunting deals on eBay or shopping a pin :) - the
    unpredictableness and the physical motion of the silver ball. You can't
    simulate that on a video game screen.

    --Jarkko

    >> Looking to purchase my first group of pins. While I'm aware of all the
    >> Williams/Bally pins from the 90's I was wondering which games might
    >> appeal to my young kids (and their friends), ages 7 & 8. Any
    >> suggestions?

    I've got a TSPP, LOTR and TZ and my 10 year old daughter likes LOTR
    the best. She hates the artwork, finding Gollum creepy. For awhile I
    couldn't get her to play LOTR. Then, one day, she had a long game with
    a relatively high score and now plays that game more than others.

    Kids WILL play pinball if they get some exposure to it. But if all
    that happens is they drain quite quick, they'll walk away.

    She keeps asking me for a SpongeBob pinball.

    Mark
    Norcross GA

    I have a girl 7 and boy 5 who prefer pins to vids.

    They have liked pretty much every game we had so far. The one's
    that top their list are:

    TSPP, TAF, IJ, NGG, AFM, WW, DM, Whirlwind

    other ones they liked were hook, jurassic park, DE star wars, Batman
    Forever

    Here are some good examples from games I have had or still in my collection:

    FT
    RS
    SW
    TAF
    MM
    IJ
    T2

    Anything that does not require too deep a thought, entertains well.

    --
    "The_Black_Knight"

    The Washington State Pinball Stronghold
    "A Fortress Protecting the Silver Ball"

    www.geocities.com/pinball_jack

    "pinballmick" <michaelpug@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Looking to purchase my first group of pins. While I'm aware of all the
    > Williams/Bally pins from the 90's I was wondering which games might
    > appeal to my young kids (and their friends), ages 7 & 8. Any
    > suggestions?

    CV is not a pin I really liked at all, but since you asked about "for
    kids", it's definitely one to consider. My kids love it, and their
    friends seem to prefer it as well.

    On 2 Sep 2005 10:41:19 -0700, "pinballmick" <michaelpug@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >You got that right! Both of my girls continuously work both flippers.
    >I have to keep telling them to wait for the ball to come down but
    >mostly to no avail.
    >
    >Many thanks to all that responded. Was surprised to see so many CV
    >suggestions. My "hit list" of pins to buy already included most of the
    >pins suggested so it looks like if I end up with 3 or 4 on my list I
    >should have one the kids will enjoy.

    My son who is 5 enjoys STtNG but it took him some time to warm up to
    it. Too much going on in this machine for him in the beginning. It is
    my opinion you will want to keep to simple games. World Cup Soccer is
    another popular game with the kids.

    When his little friends come over they all enjoy Hook over any other
    game. Hook is also very popular with Guest. Surprisingly another
    popular game with the kids is Cheetah. one up under $1000.

    Another option might be getting a themed pin that your kids are
    interested in. I started my son off with a Star Wars DE machine and he
    played it all the time. He also screamed at me when I sold it. However
    he enjoys the new Road Show :>)

    Mine (8 years old) really likes Bram Stoker's Dracula LOL I find that
    one funny but he plays it a lot. He got about 2 billion on it once!

Games Video Games