News About Sonoma, Smithfield, EM64T & Speedstep

Last response: in CPUs
October 21, 2004 10:04:53 PM

From DigiTimes

Quote:
Intel’s Sonoma to launch January, 600-series CPUs to include EM64T

Original date: 2004/10/21

Translator: Steve Shen
Despite reports that it may delay its Sonoma platform launch to the second quarter of next year, Intel has informed its clients in Taiwan that its new mobile platform will be launched globally between January 17-21, 2005, with pre-launch sales beginning in Japan 10 days earlier, according to sources at Taiwan PC makers.

Intel also affirmed that its Pentium 4 Extreme Edition (EE) 3.73GHz and 600-series desktop CPUs, which will also be launched in the first quarter of next year, will feature Intel’s Extended Memory 64 Technology, or Intel EM64T, the sources noted.

In the third quarter of 2005, Intel will launch its dual-core processor for desktops, codenamed Smithfield, the sources added. The launch was previously reported as set for mid-2005.

Intel will roll out three versions of the Smithfield processor initially, with clock speeds of 2.8, 3.0 and 3.2GHz, respectively. In addition, each core of the Smithfield processor will feature 1MB of L2 cache, according to the sources.

Intel Smithfield dual-core processors will also feature Intel’s Speedstep technology, which can reduce the power consumption of the CPU and help optimize heat dissipation, the sources added.

<font color=red><i>Doctor Hooter</i></font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.page3.com/" target="_new"><b>(·Y·)</b></A>
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2004 10:59:34 PM

You know, if Intel dropped a dual-core dual-1MB cache processor on the market with a built in memory controller and an efficient method of routing data between the cores, that would be a trick to catch AMD off guard. I certainly hope AMD has their guard up!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
October 22, 2004 12:50:45 AM

By the time any of this new hardware comes out I may just be able to afford an upgrade.
T-12 days until I move to the new house. :smile:

<font color=red><i>Doctor Hooter</i></font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.page3.com/" target="_new"><b>(·Y·)</b></A>
October 22, 2004 12:51:21 AM

The memory controller idea doesnt fly with Intel, its a royal pain in the butt to have it scale with the CPU, especially at 3.0+.

Xeon

<font color=red>Post created with being a dickhead in mind.</font color=red>
<font color=white>For all emotional and slanderous statements contact THG for all law suits.</font color=white>
a b à CPUs
October 22, 2004 1:09:37 AM

Hahah, that's so funny, not because of what you said, but because of Intel's take on it.

You can base the memory controller on the bus speed and the CPU clock on a multiple of bus speed, it shouldn't be that hard, and having it on-die reduces latencies and so forth.

Oh well, that's Intel, maybe they won't surprise us at all!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
October 22, 2004 2:27:24 AM

I'm guessing no one is hyping what Intel is doing because Intel has been disappointing. All the new technology, but not much performance to edge AMD processor. Hopefully Intel will launch the real thing or their new dual core at their specific time frame and not another paper launch. Then, pray that performance will increase instead of another marketing gimmick.
October 22, 2004 5:05:32 AM

Quote:
Despite reports that it may delay its Sonoma platform launch to the second quarter of next year, Intel has informed its clients in Taiwan that its new mobile platform will be launched globally between January 17-21, 2005,

Good. That's the only great thing coming from them anytime soon. They should allow dothan-like architecture to take over desktops as well. It shouldn't be too hard.
Quote:

Intel also affirmed that its Pentium 4 Extreme Edition (EE) 3.73GHz and 600-series desktop CPUs, which will also be launched in the first quarter of next year, will feature Intel’s Extended Memory 64 Technology, or Intel EM64T, the sources noted.

That one was predictable. Win XP with 64-bit support comes out 1H05, and Intel wouldn't miss that... or is the other way around? :eek: 

As for smithfield, there are still a lot of questions left unanswered. I'm still not completely sure that it's a netburst core; I'd be disappointed if that were the case. I'm still hoping Intel will see the light and decide to be reasonable (which means ditching the P4 altogether - they've already ditched the name!)
!