Sign in with
Your question

Will upgrading to "win7 professional" from "home" increase my RAM?

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
December 11, 2012 5:41:08 AM

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

I'm currently running windows 7 64bit home premium. I'm just limited to 16gb usable with G.skill 24gb. I know that home premium will limit you to only 16gb vs. professional and ultimate which gives you 192gb limit.

I don't want to buy another OEM 64 bit professional from newegg since it's about 140 bucks new. I believe there is a "Microsoft windows anytime" software that can upgrade your home to professional.

My question is will it rise my 16gb limit to 192gb? I try searching about I couldn't find any answers on google.

Antec 900
Asus P6T
Intel i7-920
Cool Master V8
G.Skill DDR3 24gb
OCZ SSD 480gb
1TB WD black HDD
1TB Seagate HDD
2 x XFX ATI 7770
Creative SB X-fi sound card
Corsair 850w PSU
December 11, 2012 6:07:07 AM

It will raise it to the max allowed by your particular motherboard (some are different) - check the manual. The 192GB limit refers to the max theoretical limit that the OS could use.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 11, 2012 6:20:19 AM

It will allow you to use the maximum amount of ram you have.
m
l
Related resources
December 11, 2012 6:33:40 AM

Thank you guys. It seem like win8 upgrade is much cheaper to DL from Microsoft, but I don't think most of my plugin will work. Also there's a lot of mix reviews about win8. I think I'll wait for win8 to mature a little more. I think I'll wait for a good deal on ebay for win7 pro.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 11, 2012 6:38:59 AM

Windows 8 allows for 128GiB on the base edition and 512GiB on the professional edition. Given that it's a newer OS and has a cheap upgrade path, I'd consider checking it out.

I've been using Windows 8 for months, it works great. I have yet to run into a single thing from Windows Vista or Windows 7 that fails to work under Windows 8. Even most device drivers will work.

EDIT: The Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty and X-Fi Titanium HD sound cards work with Windows 8. The drivers are a little bit buggy at the moment but they do work provided you don't restart your PC very often. I'm not sure about the legacy PCI X-Fi cards though
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 11, 2012 6:39:06 AM

Well....
Look at it this way... The guy who made Win8 got fired and was replaced by two women...
m
l
December 11, 2012 6:50:55 AM

@ pinhedd - the word buggy just bugs me. Even thou Microsoft has sold millions of copy of win8. I'm just not convince *yet* to switch over from win7. I just really love my win7 because I know it. I think I'll have to wait until it matures a little more.

@ memadmax - I didn't know that. Sounds almost as bad as when apple fired Scott Forstall for the new apple maps.
m
l
!