Toshiba A305-S6864 Random Freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadowillusion

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
Hi,

First of all, this is my Laptop Specs: http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/product/pdf_files/detailed_specs/satellite_A305-S6864.pdf

I bought this laptop 1 years ago. The laptop did it jobs very well until 1 weeks ago...

It happened randomly, the whole system is getting to freezed states instantly. I can't move my mouse, nor the keyboards responds. If I play mp3s, the last 10 miliseconds (1/100 seconds) of the song will play repeatedly, making an annoying sounds. It doesn't gives any Blue Screen or some things like that.

The only way to fix is by holding the power button for a few seconds, then it turns off. After rebooting, Windows Event Viewer only report that "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first." The chances of getting this freeze is unpredictable. Sometimes it could be very stable for 3-5 hours until freeze, sometimes it could freeze when the Windows is in a loading screen at bootup.

Some findings:

- The temp is not the cause. It can freeze even when my CPU temp is at 35 C.

- Tried with and without battery, still freezes.

- I believe there are no IRQ conflict. Before 1 weeks ago the system is doing fine and I didn't makes any hardware changes to my laptop. All hardware details in Device Manager on Resources Tab says "No Conflict" although there are many "Sharing IRQs"...

- I tried to delete all harddisk partition and configuration by doing Start Menu > CMD > diskpart > select disk 0 > clean... Then I recreate a partition, reformatting and reinstalling the OS... No Luck...

- Tried to install default Vista Recovery CD (that came with the laptop), Windows 7, Windows XP. All originals. no luck.

- It can even freezes when the Windows Installation is in progress. So no virus, bad program, spyware, bad drivers or something like that.

- Updated the BIOS to latest 2.2. It's very cold.

Some strange facts:

- The system could be more stable (it still can crashed) if I don't make any keyboard/mouse movement... Video Encoding (CPU hungry) task is more stable than browsing the Internet and moving the mouse everywhere.

- I never found it freezed when I enter and watching the BIOS menu.

- In Windows 7, I launch Windows Memory Diagnostic and doing some tests. No error reported.

- Do you know Prime95 Stress Test? (Just google it). I torture the RAM and CPU and the program never says any calculation errors or warnings as might happened in case of damaged CPU/RAM.

- It never freezes if the laptop is turned off. Nah. Just joking.

Thanks for your attention. Really appreciating your helps :)

Seeing that you re-installed Windows and such and it is still freezing, it sounds as if it is definitely a hardware issue. The first place to start would be the memory. Try taking out a stick one at a time, then starting it and seeing if it freezes. If it doesn't, you'll know which stick of RAM is bad. Either that or run memtest86. If that doesn't work, report back to us.

shadowillusion

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

I had done a memory test using Windows 7's Memory Diagnostics Tools... I run extended tests and it said that it pass without any error... All memory modules installed :)

Dracyl

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
My husband's laptop is that same one, only 2 1/2 years old and it's doing exatly the same.
AS the origina poster, he also tried testing the ram individually, installed windows 7 again, ran memory tests, temperature tests, and everything else already mentioned here and it keeps acting out.

Did you already solved your problem? He thinks it might be a videocard issue, but since it's integrated we'd like to try other things before having to take it to the shop... any feedback will be appreciated

shaileshck

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
Dear Friend,

I had this similar issue & had tried all the steps as mentioned below.
One thing was notices that the laptop would work perfectly fine in SAFE MODE.

Which had the doubts in mind cleared that there is no hardware issue on the laptop.

Tried the following steps & it worked. Even the laptop processing power reduced slightly but laptop works without any more reboots, freeze & all.

Boot the system in SAFE MODE.
go into control panel - system & device manager
there you would find processors.
Of the two processors click on the second processor & disable the same. & after applying restart the laptop as usual.

Voila laptop works perfectly fine at all conditions. Even the power the supply is plugged in which wasn't before doing the above step.

Try Out & Do let know..

Shailesh

Shaileshck@hotmail.com

shadowillusion

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
hi, turns out that my motherboard becomes defect. I replaced the motherboard and it works flawlessly now :)

although I paid around US$400 only for the motherboard, because it needs to be ordered overseas :(

Status
Not open for further replies.