Question about the XP-M mod / underclocking

marko

Distinguished
May 16, 2004
Hi,

I have an Athlon XP 2200+ Thoroughbred, and I would like to underclock it for reduced heat in a HTPC.

I read the recent XP-M mod article with great interest. I am not interested in the dynamic alteration of multiplier, but would like to achieve a static under-clocking and/or reduction of VCore.

Before I set of to lacquer my CPU, I'd like to know if I even stand a chance of success. My motherboard is the nForce2 based ASUS A7N8X-VM/400. It has no configuration options for FSB, multiplier or VCore in BIOS! nTune gives a FSB slider, but using it mostly leads to hangup or crash.

So my question is: Even if I am successful in connecting the L5 pins or would use a real Mobile XP, would the configuration options miraculously appear in BIOS or nTune? And could I somehow drop the VCore, which I understand is the most important factor in heat dissipation?

I need a uATX board, and appreciate the many integrated features including onboard audio, video and TV Out, so I didn't really have that much of leeway when selecting the motherboard.

Best regards,
Marko

P.S I've got a beQuiet 350W PSU. Maybe the fan is relatively quiet, but the darned thing emits a very annoying electric simmering noise. Too bad I ordered it from further away so any attempts to return it just ain't economically justifiable.. Gonna loan a fanless PSU from a mate of mine. Interesting but am a bit worried about it heating my hifi case like a sauna element.

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
Try <A HREF="http://www.cpuid.com/clockgen.php" target="_new">ClockGenerator</A>
I was going to do that XP-M mod, but i was chicken to do so.. :eek:
so I tried nTune, but like you, it mostly leads to hangup and crash
I found that Clock Generator, and I can set my FSB freely without any crashes occured!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hmm,

Tom's modified a regular XP into an XP-M, but if you simply BOUGHT a REALY XP-M you'd be getting a better core that produces less heat to begin with.

You can actually modify a processor to get a lower detected voltage, but I think the lowest supported by Socket 462 desktops is 1.30v.

If anyone wants to link me to the documentation I can give you better direction: The main thing is to get the voltage down!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>