My Nascar first impressions

No compensation for stuck test car = See other article. I've about
given up hope on seeing decent compensation for broken things on
location games. T2 and Addams Family would practically keep playing
until the legs fell off. Why not make the software in newer games just
as rugged?

Music "I can't drive 55"... he can't sing, either! Please have an
option to turn this off. I'd love to be able to kill this "song" but
preserve the rest of the sound of the game. At least it's not "See See
Rider"!

There appears to be no background music in the game, or it is too faint
to hear, when *not* in multiball mode. It seems that the "I can't
drive 55" song is the only real song in the game! This is a
disappointment. Should have gotten Steve Ritchie to help write the
music for this game :)

Sound quality is a great step backward. Just one sound effect of tires
screeching, repeated every 5 seconds during gameplay. No other
memorable sound effects. Even the "I can't drive 55" song sounds like
it's been sampled at 8000Hz mono! Did Stern re-use some old mono sound
boards for this game, as a way of using up old inventory, in the vein
of the same brilliant decision Bally made when they forced Embryon to
only have 6-digit scoring?

Design of the playfield is very fun! It's different from the usual
Lawlor game. I especially like the use of two posts in the lock lane
to send the ball two different ways, without needing to use a dverter.
The upper left corner of the game is genius, just as genius as the
lower right corner of Roadshow. The "almost forgot it's there" captive
ball reminds me of Earthshaker. The stereotypical two ramps
side-by-side are nowhere to be seen, and there's no upper flipper to
scare away novice players. And, there's no ugly troll head or
disgusting shrunken head!!

The "infield" jets behind the test car feel like a penalty area, for
shots that are too weak to make it around the orbit. They are hardly
ever used. A great nudge opportunity was missed here: notice the
leftmost exit from the jet bumpers on Frankenstein? The player has the
option of letting the ball dribble out, or giving a slight nudge and
sending it directly into the Geneva scoop. That would have been fun to
do here. Take the feed out of the bumpers and let the player bounce it
into the test car scoop, if open! Unfortunately, there's a post in the
way of doing this now, and the left wall of the test car weldment is in
the way of this bounce.

The drop targets are pretty! Nice artwork on them. Why the old Data
East-style thin drop targets, though? Reminds me of Back To The Future
and Checkpoint, and how fun those games became when the targets snapped
off. Elvis and Harley have nice thick sturdy drop targets. Might want
to retrofit these?

And finally, the loop! I played other games other than Nascar tonight,
and all of them felt slow and dull... I caught myself on other
machines, expecting the ball to zing around the playfield multiple
times before dropping into play, and felt that something was wrong,
when it didn't! I thought T3 was broken when the ball stopped halfway
up the playfield and was caught, instead of letting it zing around a
few times. :)

Anyone remember playing World's Fair Jig Saw, or World Series, by
Rock-Ola? Those games also had zingarounds the ball went around before
entering play! I thought this feature seemed familiar. Wow, 70+ years
between use of pinball features? That's a new record, replacing the
previous gap, set by the Disappearing Jet Bumper, between Gusher and
Cirqus Voltaire.

Good game, and I'll be back when they find a way to unjam that test car
:)

Josh

I played this game at Gamewrks in FL. It was 3 days old. Everything
worked!

The game didn't hold my attention. The loop thing was kinda cool, but
overall it didn't do much for me.

For the typical home gameroom player this would be a fun game. Not a
classic, but still a good pin.

"Krellan" wrote:
> Sound quality is a great step backward. Just one sound effect of tires
> screeching, repeated every 5 seconds during gameplay. No other
> memorable sound effects. Even the "I can't drive 55" song sounds like
> it's been sampled at 8000Hz mono! Did Stern re-use some old mono sound
> boards for this game, as a way of using up old inventory, in the vein
> of the same brilliant decision Bally made when they forced Embryon to
> only have 6-digit scoring?
<snip>

The audio itself may not be the best they've done, but I'm sure there's been
no change to the sound hardware. DCS was great when Williams offered it,
but I've quit complaining about lack of high quality sound in these things
since Williams sank their ship in 1999 due to trying to out-do themselves-
the high quality was great, but it comes at a cost- in Williams' case, it
was too costly to keep the boat afloat and they sank.

So no complaints from me to Stern- if they can keep their ship running that
means pinball keeps running. After all, these things are built to make
money- for operators placing them in arcades and bars- and for Stern to be
able to produce more games. Good 'nuff for me.

> The drop targets are pretty! Nice artwork on them. Why the old Data
> East-style thin drop targets, though? Reminds me of Back To The Future
> and Checkpoint, and how fun those games became when the targets snapped
> off. Elvis and Harley have nice thick sturdy drop targets. Might want
> to retrofit these?
<snip>

The "thin top" targets are commonly used in places where the ball does not
travel *over* them. The "wide-top" targets are used where the ball does
travel over them when down- like in a lane or in front of a saucer- like the
Itchy/Scratchy hole in TSPP. The wide top keeps the ball from getting stuck
in the target opening on the playfield surface.

The targets are identical "from the waist down" so one is not more robust
than the other. They both suffer equally from breakage over time- depending
on amount of use of course, but also from drying out and getting brittle
after old age.

> And finally, the loop! I played other games other than Nascar tonight,
> and all of them felt slow and dull... I caught myself on other
> machines, expecting the ball to zing around the playfield multiple
> times before dropping into play, and felt that something was wrong,
> when it didn't! I thought T3 was broken when the ball stopped halfway
> up the playfield and was caught, instead of letting it zing around a
> few times. :)
<snip>

I see potential wear problems in the "loop" lane- just due to the excessive
amount of time that the ball(s) spend in that lane- going around, and
around, and around, and around. Not to mention wear from balls (metal rails
against balls) which will scuff them and cause them to be abrasive to the
rest of the playfield. I think this will be a "high wear" playfield game-
something we see coming back into operator's shops after a few months with a
lot of torn up playfield artwork/finish, etc. God forbid any operator
should clean or wax his playfield- or replace balls periodically- to help
prevent this. So I think it's inevitable unless Stern start sending these
things out with mylar in that lane, and/or a full playfield mylar. We'll
see.

--
Ray Johnson
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC

Hey Raymond, Stern has addressed a couple of these issues in Service
Bulletin #159. Nascar games made after 8-22-05 will have a piece of
factory installed mylar over the T-Nuts in the race track on the left
side of the game, and they're using thicker foam pads on the standup
targets to help prevent airballs flying around. Both of these fixes can
probably be provided from the distributor you bought your game from, if
they don't have them, or know about them, let me know and I may be able
to get some through FAO. This Service Bulletin should also be on Stern's
website under their technical section.

Dave

--

Dave Mercer
For Amusement Only

> The "thin top" targets are commonly used in places where the ball does not
> travel *over* them. The "wide-top" targets are used where the ball does
> travel over them when down- like in a lane or in front of a saucer- like
> the
> Itchy/Scratchy hole in TSPP. The wide top keeps the ball from getting
> stuck
> in the target opening on the playfield surface.

I need 10 Data East wide top drop targets, are they still the same as Stern
uses ??
I can't seem to find these anywhere.
Thanks !
--
Bye
Bart Baeyens

We have them in stock- see our site: www.actionpinball.com Same as new
Stern targets- Data East, Sega, Stern = all same.

Ray J.
--

"Bart Baeyens" <986@telenet.be> wrote in message

> > The "thin top" targets are commonly used in places where the ball does
not
> > travel *over* them. The "wide-top" targets are used where the ball does
> > travel over them when down- like in a lane or in front of a saucer- like
> > the
> > Itchy/Scratchy hole in TSPP. The wide top keeps the ball from getting
> > stuck
> > in the target opening on the playfield surface.
>
> I need 10 Data East wide top drop targets, are they still the same as
Stern
> uses ??
> I can't seem to find these anywhere.
> Thanks !
> --
> Bye
> Bart Baeyens
> I buy, trade and sell pinball machines, flyers and promo plastics
> Visit us @ www.mushroom-amusements.com
> Located in Belgium.

I will second the plea for full mylars. I just mylared my SPP and that
was TOUGH! It would be much easier for them to be installed when the
playfield was "nude". Very labor-intensive to get it down in the right
spot and without wrinkles, though!!

-cody
CARGPB#4

"Ray Johnson - Action Pinball" <staff@actionpinball.com> wrote in

> "Krellan" wrote:
>> Sound quality is a great step backward. Just one sound effect of
>> tires screeching, repeated every 5 seconds during gameplay. No other
>> memorable sound effects. Even the "I can't drive 55" song sounds
>> like it's been sampled at 8000Hz mono! Did Stern re-use some old
>> mono sound boards for this game, as a way of using up old inventory,
>> in the vein of the same brilliant decision Bally made when they
>> forced Embryon to only have 6-digit scoring?
> <snip>
>
> The audio itself may not be the best they've done, but I'm sure
> there's been no change to the sound hardware. DCS was great when
> Williams offered it, but I've quit complaining about lack of high
> quality sound in these things since Williams sank their ship in 1999
> due to trying to out-do themselves- the high quality was great, but it
> comes at a cost- in Williams' case, it was too costly to keep the boat
> afloat and they sank.
>
> So no complaints from me to Stern- if they can keep their ship running
> that means pinball keeps running. After all, these things are built
> to make money- for operators placing them in arcades and bars- and for
> Stern to be able to produce more games. Good 'nuff for me.

Yeah, but Ray, the sound stinks FOR A STERN GAME. Yes, they only have so
much hardware to use, but they've used it _far_ better in other games!
LOTR, Elvis, DOA, and heck even RIPleys had better _sounding_ sounds in
them.

Awful, just plain awful sound coming out of this one.

For Amusement Only <fao@foramusementonly.to> wrote in

> Hey Raymond, Stern has addressed a couple of these issues in Service
> Bulletin #159. Nascar games made after 8-22-05 will have a piece of
> factory installed mylar over the T-Nuts in the race track on the left
> side of the game, and they're using thicker foam pads on the standup
> targets to help prevent airballs flying around. Both of these fixes
> can probably be provided from the distributor you bought your game
> from, if they don't have them, or know about them, let me know and I
> may be able to get some through FAO. This Service Bulletin should also
> be on Stern's website under their technical section.
>
> Dave

Sweet! Stern IS reading RGP! :)

(I knew that anyway, but it's fun to say nonetheless. :)) )

we have one made 8-25-05, it has the mylar in the left corner in the loop
lane. It could be thicker.

This game rules all the way though.
I got 160 mil. grand champ today.
Timathie cargpb15