Sign in with
Your question

Monitor wont read dvi cable via vga->dvi converter

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
September 18, 2011 5:08:58 PM

Hi, I recently acquired a VGA to DVI converter for my laptop (VGA only) to my monitors DVI port.When it finally detected a digital port instead of analog, it stays in power save mode. I came across a thread from about two years ago (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/55329-3-converter-wor...) that is similar to my issue, and someone asked if the monitor was a samsung. His wasn't, but mine is. May I presume that's extremely relevant with similar known issues across the board?
a b C Monitor
September 18, 2011 9:38:06 PM

Sandra, welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums!

The old thread that you listed is quite informative. Check the monitor settings to see how to set the 'power save mode'. But the real issue is that the monitor is not getting a video signal and therefore stays in power save mode. It is quite probable that the VGA ---> DVI adapter is not working with the Samsung.

Is there another monitor that you can try it on?
m
l
September 18, 2011 10:09:20 PM

Only other monitor I have is an old CRT, which doesn't have the dvi. At this point, I guess I need to hunt for another adapter. I initially opened a new thread because someone specifically asked in the old one about Samsungs.
m
l
Related resources
a b C Monitor
September 18, 2011 11:18:12 PM

SandraK said:
Only other monitor I have is an old CRT, which doesn't have the dvi. At this point, I guess I need to hunt for another adapter. I initially opened a new thread because someone specifically asked in the old one about Samsungs.

You can use the CRT until the problems are sorted out. Does your Samsung have a VGA input? I use dual monitors; one on DVI and the other on VGA until I acquired a 2nd. DVI cable. Now both monitors are on DVI. While the 2nd. monitor was on VGA for a few months, it worked fine.
m
l
September 19, 2011 2:16:00 AM

I usually use a vga which has been working fine, but wanted to use a digital instead of analog and then *possibly* get a dvi to hdmi. Granted, I'm not all that sure that a VGA->DVI->HDMI is a good idea so...
This is one of those 'if it aint broke don't fix it' things.
m
l
a b C Monitor
September 19, 2011 2:59:44 AM

SandraK said:
I usually use a vga which has been working fine, but wanted to use a digital instead of analog and then *possibly* get a dvi to hdmi. Granted, I'm not all that sure that a VGA->DVI->HDMI is a good idea so...
This is one of those 'if it aint broke don't fix it' things.

Yes!
m
l
September 21, 2011 7:17:36 PM

The VGA to DVI adapter you have will not work like you want it to. There are different types of signals from the video card to the monitor some are Analog and some are Digital. The video out from a video card can be: VGA which is analog only or DVI-I which can have analog and digital signals output on the same connector. The type DVI connector on the back of a monitor is DIV-d and has digital input only. The adapter you are trying to use is trying to connect an analog output to a digital only input and they are not compatible with each other. The DVI to VGA adapters are for use on the video card to convert the DVI-I with analog signal to the VGA port of an analog monitor. The same thing with HDMI it is a digital signal and will not be able to connect to a VGA port with any adapter.

Here is a reference page:

http://www.imagescience.com.au/kb/questions/122/About+M...
m
l
!