Your question

Stuttering playback

Tags:
  • Internet
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
December 11, 2012 9:32:22 AM

Hello,
I am getting stuttering when playing internet videos and local .avi, .mov files. All OK a month ago. My sytem is Windows XP 1600+ 1.4KHz and 736RAM
Help please

More about : stuttering playback

December 12, 2012 4:45:30 PM

How about just sound MP3s ? Did you update drivers lately ?
Do you have auto-update on in XP ?
Start - Run - Dxdiag, check that video and audio have hardware acceleration enabled. If error message or not running, download distributable version of directx 9.0c from microsoft and install.
m
l
December 20, 2012 9:19:07 AM

thanks for reply...have checked/done all mentioned but no change. I made a mistake in stating the problem....the .avi files work ok.
More help?
m
l
Related resources
December 23, 2012 3:14:24 PM

Find different codecs or a different video player, I like GOM it's open source and flawless.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 23, 2012 4:06:56 PM

Hi. Have you updated flash player and got the latest version of Java?
m
l
December 30, 2012 1:37:33 PM

Cyberat_88 said:
Find different codecs or a different video player, I like GOM it's open source and flawless.

Thank you for advice...I have installed GOM and quite like it. Doesn't stop the stuttering on internet videos. I have now learnt that my .mov files work better when held in C disk rather than a dongle F disk.
m
l
December 30, 2012 1:42:05 PM

Cyberat_88 said:
How about just sound MP3s ? Did you update drivers lately ?
Do you have auto-update on in XP ?
Start - Run - Dxdiag, check that video and audio have hardware acceleration enabled. If error message or not running, download distributable version of directx 9.0c from microsoft and install.

Thanks for advice again.....ran Dxdiagand found audio was on acceleration but could not find Video but looked at "Display" and noted that "DirectX features" were not accelerated and found no way to enable them.More advice if possible please.
m
l
December 31, 2012 7:40:04 PM

Yes, do not run stuff off slowware like USB flashram.
Get the drivers for your video card and install that, then get directx from microsoft or filehippo, one file download not webrun.
Run the directx after installing video drivers, it should add the correct files and update old ones.
m
l
January 2, 2013 4:33:13 PM

Cyberat_88 said:
Yes, do not run stuff off slowware like USB flashram.
Get the drivers for your video card and install that, then get directx from microsoft or filehippo, one file download not webrun.
Run the directx after installing video drivers, it should add the correct files and update old ones.

Thanks for keeping with me on this. Please understand I am not that technical but I think I have done everything asked of me...no improvement. Also, I now realise that my childrens games played on the internet under BBC CBBC games programs are also slow in their motion. As I said before, I never had these problems some months ago. Somethings changed but I can't get into the system in a very professional way. Question: in the direct x screen (presented after "Start" followed by "run") should I see a tag named "video". My video/sound driver appears to be CM18738/C3DX PC1 audio driver....is this valid? I think it is More help please...make it as easy as possible....thank you for your patience
m
l
January 3, 2013 12:52:20 AM

That is your audio chipset good job finding it, however, drivers for the popular CMI (replace 1=I) model depends on your PC. Is it custom assembled ? Box or Laptop ? According to your finding, video drivers are missing. If it is pre-built (HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc...) go to the website of PC mfg. and go to model number (sticker on back of PC) download those video drivers and install them. Then re-run installation of directx NOT diagnostics. Never mind old tags.
m
l
January 3, 2013 8:50:06 AM

Cyberat_88 said:
That is your audio chipset good job finding it, however, drivers for the popular CMI (replace 1=I) model depends on your PC. Is it custom assembled ? Box or Laptop ? According to your finding, video drivers are missing. If it is pre-built (HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc...) go to the website of PC mfg. and go to model number (sticker on back of PC) download those video drivers and install them. Then re-run installation of directx NOT diagnostics. Never mind old tags.

Thanks again Tom......PC is a Box and was given to me by someone who configures systems I think. It is a HP Pavilion 431 and if I go to the HP website and select drivers for thge model there doesn't seem to be any listed "video" drivers. I wonder if I have been saying "video" to you when the problem is actually associated with some other named item.
m
l
January 3, 2013 9:31:24 AM

Hmmm... to me, i did experience stuttering im at full load and when my some data in RAM is stored to the pagefile and the HDD could not keep up. Stuttering went away when i upgraded to SSD and put my pagefile there.

And turns out, my old boot HDD had bad sectors.
m
l
January 9, 2013 6:30:00 PM

Sometimes video drivers are combined with chipset for MB.
If you open it, see if you have a video card installed, if not you'd be searching for EMBEDDED drivers. Are you showing a chip name for the video using GPU-Z ? Your model number is Incomplete you must read details, there are 4 types under what you gave me. You must narrow it to the one that is yours.
m
l
January 9, 2013 6:37:57 PM

The F model has AMD drivers for Windows 7 and Vista, unless this person swapped OS into a computer not supporting XP.
m
l
January 9, 2013 8:16:14 PM

flowingbass said:
Hmmm... to me, i did experience stuttering im at full load and when my some data in RAM is stored to the pagefile and the HDD could not keep up. Stuttering went away when i upgraded to SSD and put my pagefile there.

And turns out, my old boot HDD had bad sectors.

Thanks for your interest in my problem. unfortunately I am not technical and am a little lost on your explanation and acronyms
m
l
January 9, 2013 8:24:52 PM

Cyberat_88 said:
If you open it, see if you have a video card installed, if not you'd be searching for EMBEDDED drivers. Are you showing a chip name for the video using GPU-Z ? Your model number is Incomplete you must read details, there are 4 types under what you gave me. You must narrow it to the one that is yours.

Thanks again for input.
I understand your point about model number....will investigate further.

Unfortunately you have lost me on the rest. Don't understand "MB", "EMBEDDED DRIVERS" or "GPU-Z". Maybe you will decide that I am beyond help owing to my lack of technical nowhow. I wouldn't blame me if you decided not to respond to my problem any further......and thanks for help so far.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 9:27:12 PM

Try disabling all security software. See what happens then.
m
l
January 10, 2013 1:29:32 PM

FALC0N said:
Try disabling all security software. See what happens then.

Thanks for your idea but it made no difference.
m
l
January 10, 2013 1:52:26 PM

Cyberat_88 said:

I can't find any further model number detail The Model 431 is shown on the front cover. The only other label is on the back and says Pavilion 400.
m
l
January 16, 2013 1:46:56 AM

I am thinking your computer was made for windows 7 and only windows 7, leaving out the video drivers for AMD. You can install AIDA32 free software (google it) or GPU-Z, that will identify your graphics chipset. Then go to the AMD website and get the drivers for that video.
m
l
January 16, 2013 1:47:43 AM

Switching OS on a laptop is much worse, no drivers are found for XP sometimes.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 16, 2013 11:02:55 PM

Cyberat_88 said:
I am thinking your computer was made for windows 7 and only windows 7, leaving out the video drivers for AMD. You can install AIDA32 free software (google it) or GPU-Z, that will identify your graphics chipset. Then go to the AMD website and get the drivers for that video.

Cyberat_88 said:
Switching OS on a laptop is much worse, no drivers are found for XP sometimes.

Brilliant problem solving guys. Its a desktop. And an Athon XP 1600 at that.
m
l
!