LOTR GOLLUM/GIMLI/X-Ball, Ball Kick-Out Issue

Has anyone experienced a problem with the ball kick-out from the
GOLLUM/GIMLI/Extra Ball hole to the upper Habit Trail? Most of the time
it takes my LOTR 2-4 "Kicks" to get the ball up on the habit trail.
I've replaced the Solenoid Bushing and checked the alignment of the
Habit Trail 180/Roll-Over to the center of the "Kick-Out" and it
appears to be centered. What's with STERN using the first switch on the
habit trail rather then the Last switch (inlane switch) on the way to
the flippers to start the score countdown when you activate "Hit
Balrog", as you start losing obtainable (Max 500K) points way before
you can shoot at it? Does STERN have a newer ROM that fixes this or is
there a setting to change I haven't found (I have the last run of LOTR,
Mfg. Jan 05)? Did the entire last run LOTR's COME WITH NO GOLLUM or
just a few? Thanks.
Kim
10 answers Last reply
More about lotr gollum gimli ball ball kick issue

    Hey Kim,

    The VUK problem is well docmuneted. Search google to find more info on
    it.

    Mine came Gollum-less, I picked one up from Terry at Pinball Life. It's
    cheap.

    Andrew

    Kim wrote:
    > Has anyone experienced a problem with the ball kick-out from the
    > GOLLUM/GIMLI/Extra Ball hole to the upper Habit Trail? Most of the time
    > it takes my LOTR 2-4 "Kicks" to get the ball up on the habit trail.
    > I've replaced the Solenoid Bushing and checked the alignment of the
    > Habit Trail 180/Roll-Over to the center of the "Kick-Out" and it
    > appears to be centered. What's with STERN using the first switch on the
    > habit trail rather then the Last switch (inlane switch) on the way to
    > the flippers to start the score countdown when you activate "Hit
    > Balrog", as you start losing obtainable (Max 500K) points way before
    > you can shoot at it? Does STERN have a newer ROM that fixes this or is
    > there a setting to change I haven't found (I have the last run of LOTR,
    > Mfg. Jan 05)? Did the entire last run LOTR's COME WITH NO GOLLUM or
    > just a few? Thanks.
    > Kim

    Link to Gollum at PBL:

    http://www.pinballlife.com/page457.html

    Here is a link to my fix:

    http://www.nicompco.com/arcade/LOTR/

    I picked up the rubber post cap for the fix for this at PBL as well:

    http://www.pinballlife.com/page110.html

    Google is freaking out, hopefully this won't post 43 times ;)

    Andrew

    normandie74@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Hey Kim,
    >
    > The VUK problem is well docmuneted. Search google to find more info on
    > it.
    >
    > Mine came Gollum-less, I picked one up from Terry at Pinball Life. It's
    > cheap.
    >
    > Andrew
    >
    > Kim wrote:
    > > Has anyone experienced a problem with the ball kick-out from the
    > > GOLLUM/GIMLI/Extra Ball hole to the upper Habit Trail? Most of the time
    > > it takes my LOTR 2-4 "Kicks" to get the ball up on the habit trail.
    > > I've replaced the Solenoid Bushing and checked the alignment of the
    > > Habit Trail 180/Roll-Over to the center of the "Kick-Out" and it
    > > appears to be centered. What's with STERN using the first switch on the
    > > habit trail rather then the Last switch (inlane switch) on the way to
    > > the flippers to start the score countdown when you activate "Hit
    > > Balrog", as you start losing obtainable (Max 500K) points way before
    > > you can shoot at it? Does STERN have a newer ROM that fixes this or is
    > > there a setting to change I haven't found (I have the last run of LOTR,
    > > Mfg. Jan 05)? Did the entire last run LOTR's COME WITH NO GOLLUM or
    > > just a few? Thanks.
    > > Kim

    Also,

    Here is the link to Pinball Life, the Gollum page:
    http://www.pinballlife.com/page457.html

    Here is how I stopped my up kicker from missing:

    http://www.nicompco.com/arcade/LOTR/

    The kicker works perfectly 99% of the time now that I installed this.

    Andrew

    normandie74@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Hey Kim,
    >
    > The VUK problem is well docmuneted. Search google to find more info on
    > it.
    >
    > Mine came Gollum-less, I picked one up from Terry at Pinball Life. It's
    > cheap.
    >
    > Andrew
    >
    > Kim wrote:
    > > Has anyone experienced a problem with the ball kick-out from the
    > > GOLLUM/GIMLI/Extra Ball hole to the upper Habit Trail? Most of the time
    > > it takes my LOTR 2-4 "Kicks" to get the ball up on the habit trail.
    > > I've replaced the Solenoid Bushing and checked the alignment of the
    > > Habit Trail 180/Roll-Over to the center of the "Kick-Out" and it
    > > appears to be centered. What's with STERN using the first switch on the
    > > habit trail rather then the Last switch (inlane switch) on the way to
    > > the flippers to start the score countdown when you activate "Hit
    > > Balrog", as you start losing obtainable (Max 500K) points way before
    > > you can shoot at it? Does STERN have a newer ROM that fixes this or is
    > > there a setting to change I haven't found (I have the last run of LOTR,
    > > Mfg. Jan 05)? Did the entire last run LOTR's COME WITH NO GOLLUM or
    > > just a few? Thanks.
    > > Kim

    Hey Kim, I should also mention Terry at Pinballlife has the Gollum
    cheap.

    http://www.pinballlife.com/page457.html

    I also fixed my Gollum VUK problem by adding a rubber. See pictures
    here:

    http://www.nicompco.com/arcade/LOTR/

    Andrew

    normandie74@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Hey Kim,
    >
    > The VUK problem is well docmuneted. Search google to find more info on
    > it.
    >
    > Mine came Gollum-less, I picked one up from Terry at Pinball Life. It's
    > cheap.
    >
    > Andrew
    >
    > Kim wrote:
    > > Has anyone experienced a problem with the ball kick-out from the
    > > GOLLUM/GIMLI/Extra Ball hole to the upper Habit Trail? Most of the time
    > > it takes my LOTR 2-4 "Kicks" to get the ball up on the habit trail.
    > > I've replaced the Solenoid Bushing and checked the alignment of the
    > > Habit Trail 180/Roll-Over to the center of the "Kick-Out" and it
    > > appears to be centered. What's with STERN using the first switch on the
    > > habit trail rather then the Last switch (inlane switch) on the way to
    > > the flippers to start the score countdown when you activate "Hit
    > > Balrog", as you start losing obtainable (Max 500K) points way before
    > > you can shoot at it? Does STERN have a newer ROM that fixes this or is
    > > there a setting to change I haven't found (I have the last run of LOTR,
    > > Mfg. Jan 05)? Did the entire last run LOTR's COME WITH NO GOLLUM or
    > > just a few? Thanks.
    > > Kim

    LOL, did I stutter?

    AB

    Kim wrote:
    > Has anyone experienced a problem with the ball kick-out from the
    > GOLLUM/GIMLI/Extra Ball hole to the upper Habit Trail? Most of the time
    > it takes my LOTR 2-4 "Kicks" to get the ball up on the habit trail.
    > I've replaced the Solenoid Bushing and checked the alignment of the
    > Habit Trail 180/Roll-Over to the center of the "Kick-Out" and it
    > appears to be centered. What's with STERN using the first switch on the
    > habit trail rather then the Last switch (inlane switch) on the way to
    > the flippers to start the score countdown when you activate "Hit
    > Balrog", as you start losing obtainable (Max 500K) points way before
    > you can shoot at it? Does STERN have a newer ROM that fixes this or is
    > there a setting to change I haven't found (I have the last run of LOTR,
    > Mfg. Jan 05)? Did the entire last run LOTR's COME WITH NO GOLLUM or
    > just a few? Thanks.
    > Kim

    What's the rubber tip supposed to do, prevent the ball from falling
    back down after it is successfully kicked up there, or makes it kick
    all the way up there more successfully, and if so, why does it work?
    Just wondering as mine is about 99.9999% reliable on first kick and
    have never done anything to it, I do run the game on the high solenoid
    setting though...Frenchy

    It slows the ball down enough that it does not bounce out of the
    habitrail...

    It was making it all the way up, but it was slamming so hard it would
    bounce right back down onto the PF.

    Mine is on high too :)

    Andrew

    frenchy wrote:
    > What's the rubber tip supposed to do, prevent the ball from falling
    > back down after it is successfully kicked up there, or makes it kick
    > all the way up there more successfully, and if so, why does it work?
    > Just wondering as mine is about 99.9999% reliable on first kick and
    > have never done anything to it, I do run the game on the high solenoid
    > setting though...Frenchy

    Mine doesn't hiccup at default either, I like the sling action better
    at high, and I have line voltage of about 115, not 120, so a little
    boost doesn't hurt...Frenchy

    Make sure the riser and nut on either side of the saucer are tight. If
    they are, closely inspect the welds holding all the wire together and
    see if any are cracked or broken. If everything is tight (check the top
    two fasteners at the backboard as well), make sure the game is level
    left-to-right.

    Let us know if you discover the cause.

    -cody
    CARGPB#4

    In news:<1125673333.400062.129550@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>, Kim
    <cyberkman@charter.net> says...
    > Has anyone experienced a problem with the ball kick-out from the
    > GOLLUM/GIMLI/Extra Ball hole to the upper Habit Trail? Most of the time
    > it takes my LOTR 2-4 "Kicks" to get the ball up on the habit trail.
    > I've replaced the Solenoid Bushing and checked the alignment of the
    > Habit Trail 180/Roll-Over to the center of the "Kick-Out" and it
    > appears to be centered. What's with STERN using the first switch on the
    > habit trail rather then the Last switch (inlane switch) on the way to
    > the flippers to start the score countdown when you activate "Hit
    > Balrog", as you start losing obtainable (Max 500K) points way before
    > you can shoot at it? Does STERN have a newer ROM that fixes this or is
    > there a setting to change I haven't found (I have the last run of LOTR,
    > Mfg. Jan 05)? Did the entire last run LOTR's COME WITH NO GOLLUM or
    > just a few? Thanks.

    Others have posted valuable advice in this thread already, so I won't
    repeat them (though my VUK never gives me trouble and never did).

    Which ROM version are you using? You really should install the
    Director's Cut adjustment settings in any case if this is a home use
    game - that gets you rid of the whole Bash Balrog thing (and IIRC
    otherwise affects Cave Troll sequence (ON), DTR # of balls (2), early
    tower crash / game start balrog roar / consolation balrog (all OFF)).

    /Kristoffer

    --
    This cookie has a scrap of paper inside. It reads:
    Fbzr dhrfgvbaf gur Fculak nfxf whfg *qba'g* unir nal nafjref.

Switch Games Video Games