LED tv / Plasma TV/ Big monitor, please HELP

shtkatapult

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
Hi, I've been struggling with this question for some time. I really want a 40-42" wall mounted tv to use as a monitor but the whole problem with input lag (for lcd /LED) and IR, burn in with plasma is making it very difficult to choose. Do any of you have experience with using a tv as a monitor or is a normal monitor the only way to go? I mainly use my PC for gaming (any type of games from FPS to MMOs) please HELP :)

Unless you are sitting far away you will be disappointed using a large TV as a monitor.

The pixels are VERY large on a TV compared to a monitor, so if you sit too close it looks blocky. Also, games can be weird because TVs have over-scan by default, so to see all your desktop you end up reducing a 1920x1080 screen size to something like 1892x1060.

shtkatapult

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
Thank you for your reply, what would you recommend ? i really would like a large wall mounted display, would 37" be better ?

You can reduce the input lag on a HDTV by switching it to 60Hz or "Game" mode. Setting the refresh rate tp 120Hz or 240Hz artificially increases input lag.

If you have an AMD Radeon video card, there is an option to correct overscaning in Catalyst control. No sure if there's such an option with nVidia Geforce cards; my GeForce 9600GT certainly does not have that option in nvidia's control panel.

Cash091

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
I actually have a Samsung 40in and it fills the screen beautifully at 1080P. I didn't have to mess with it at all! Sitting close does make everything look big, but gaming on it is GREAT!!!!! Like, really great!!!! In fact, when I game on my PC, I switch from my monitor(which recently broke) to my TV. I do have another post though about forcing resolution. I can get it up to 2560x1600 with good quality but I dont want to hurt the tv.