VNC software

I use Teamviewer (http://www.teamviewer.com/) - free for non-commercial use. Commercial use is about $750 per install.

For commercial use - I am using LogMeIn (https://secure.logmein.com/), which has both free and paid applications, depending upon your needs.

G

300 user multi-site network - We use TightVNC, we changed from RealVNC because it was so laggy on Win7 it was pretty much unusable, don't know if they have addressed that now.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
I use UltraVNC because you can reverse the connection order, allowing a server to connect to a client and avoiding firewall hassles if you're troubleshooting a remote computer for somebody who doesn't understand such things.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Do they have one-click connecting? I'm not in love with UltraVNC, but it's by far the most user friendly software I've found because you can eliminate 100% of configuration for one of the users. You compile an executable using their web tool, then you have the person just run the program and they're done.

If better software allows the same functionality, I'd drop UltraVNC in a heartbeat.

G

Not that I know of, the user to be controlled would need to right click the system tray icon and enter the listening viewers IP in the add listening viewer option.

I can see why what you describe above would be useful though.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Not that I know of, the user to be controlled would need to right click the system tray icon and enter the listening viewers IP in the add listening viewer option.

I can see why what you describe above would be useful though.
Yeah, it's pretty much the only game in town for "remote assistance to my 92 year old grandfather who can't figure out Windows Remote Assistance.' I email him a link to a file, he downloads it (this process typically takes about 5-10 minutes of coaching), then runs it and I can take over.

mi1ez

Splendid
Cheers for all the responses guys.

I use teamviewer for remote assistance, but it's not practical for an unattended server.

I might just give real and tight a go and see how it goes!