Sign in with
Your question

New Build Wont Boot ?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
October 28, 2004 9:51:36 PM

Hey Everybody, Im new to this forum and couldn't find a specific area to post my question in and think this is the closest. First i should describe my system. I have a :-

Tower Case fitted with a MLC 006 ATX - 350 Watt P4 PSU
Asus P4P800 Deluxe MotherBoard
Intel P4 3.0 Ghz 800 FSB CPU
XFX Geforce 6800 GT agp GPU
2x Crucial 1 Gb DDR 400 CL3 Ram Sticks ie 2 Gb total
Maxtor Diamond MAx Plus 9 160 GB SATA HDD (1.5Gb/s)
NEC 3500 Dual Layer DVD Rom Drive
Sony 1.44 Mb FDD

Sounds Good huh :)  Well it would be I think if I could get the bloody thing to work. Its a new build you see and this is my first time. Im a PC Build Virgin I guess. Im competent enough to mess around in the bios ( a little) and install drivers and OS and hardware upgrades but I've never built a system from scratch.

My Problem is the system dosen't boot. Ive not even installed the OS yet which will be XP Pro. I can tell you I do have power on the MotherBoard but it isnt powering the CPU Fan or the HD. The machine stays still and silent. No beeps nothing. Just a little green LED on the motherboard. Nothing else. All the components are new and as far as I can tell connected corectly. Ive basically put this new tower beside my old and pluged the mouse, keyboard, monitor and power cord from the old PC, which works fine, into the new one and nothing, squat, nadda. Ive cheched the position for the memory in the slots so it is running in dual mode. Ive tryed having only 1 stick installed in single mode. Im not sure where the problem can be as it all seems ok and I can only assume that the components, as they were all bought new, are in good working order.

Can anyone here give me advice relating to my problem or directions to a site which can ? All advice is greatly appreciated.

silverwizard
(stranger )
10/28/04 03:42 PM
Re: Boot Failure ? [re: Highlander2004]

First 2 thoughts:
Do you have both power plugs firmly seated on the mobo?
350W psu seems a bit weak for that setup but it should still boot anyway.
Oh yeah, does the system go through the POST (power on self test, you know...where it checks memory etc)?

Highlander2004
(stranger )
10/28/04 05:03 PM
Re: Boot Failure ? [re: silverwizard]

Yea The MoBo LED is lit! So the MoBO Is obviously getting Power. When i push the power on button NOTHING happens. I hold it in for 10 secs, i click it and wait , ive even used the reset switch as the power switch just in case the switch was broken but still nothing.

silverwizard
(stranger )
10/28/04 05:20 PM
Re: Boot Failure ? [re: Highlander2004]

OK, next question:
Is the video card completely seated in it's slot? I have seen computers act like this and turned out that the video card was maybe 1-2mm out of the slot. Also, make sure that all of your drive cables are in tight and are aligned correctly, especially the hard drive. I've seen the same symptoms from those connections as well.
I would also suggest checking all of the jumper settings against the manual again.

Highlander2004
(stranger )
10/28/04 05:32 PM
Re: Boot Failure ? [re: silverwizard]

Yea, Everything is in ok. Everything plugged in. Not sure about jumbers. Put the Moterhboard in the case as it came out of the retail box! Dosent seem to be any jumper configuration required reading the MB manual ! The Sata drive is a concern for me. First time installing a SATA. have a 4 pin power block connector and the slimline data plugged in. Is that all thats required as there are two more sockets available on the drive!

More about : build wont boot

October 28, 2004 9:57:39 PM

Hey

Have you double checked that the powerbuttons cable is plugged into the right place on the mobo and that it's not backwards? The letters should be facing down if im not mistaking.

AthlonXP 2500+ Clocked To 3200+ (2.2Ghz)
Sapphire 9800 Pro 128MB
Asus A7V600
Maxtor 120Gig SATA 8MB Cache
1 Gig Crucial Ram (PC3200)
SB Audigy LS
Logitech Z-650 Speakers<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Chemical on 10/28/04 05:59 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
October 28, 2004 10:06:49 PM

Also, make sure the motherboard is correctly in your case. I know of time when you have everything in and ready to go and it wont even start. It might be trying to protect itself from short circuting..
If all that is correct, then start un plugging things.Such as hard drive, if still nothing then unlplug something else.. like the cd roms. if that still doesnt work, then something else is wrong.

Old System:p ackard Bell Legend 3550,200 mhz cpu,72mb ram,8mb video,2gb hdd.
NEW System:ECS N2U400-A,512 mb ram,AMD Athlon 2500+, 64 mb video, SOUND, on board lan, USB Ports, 120 Gb HDD
Related resources
October 28, 2004 10:17:29 PM

Are you sure that you connected the Reset and Power switches in the right spots ?

Doublecheck with the diagram found in Chapter 2 of the User Manual, Item 16, titled "System pannel connector (20 pin PANNEL)" to make sure that you have'nt inverted the connections or offsetted them by a pin.

In doubt, disconnect all those wires and take your time to plug everything where it is supposed to be.

Mobile Barton 2500+ @ 2.5GHz (217MHz x 11.5)
Abit NF7-S V2.0
2x 512MB of Samsung TCC4
Sapphire Radeon 9700 128MB @ 360/310
2x Maxtor 40GB 7200RPM RAID-0
!